• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

PowerColor Radeon RX 580 Red Dragon V2 (( Fans just stopped working ))

Associate
hi

my g card fans just stopped which i got from OCUK only July this year, i only noticed as i was playing a game and i crashed with a blue screen so i checked it on start up because it took ages and then i noticed the fans was not spinning at all. tried a few restarts but still same.

should i contact OC as i cant find a solution to this...

thanks for any advice

PowerColor Radeon RX 580 Red Dragon V2 8192MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card

Associate
OP
tried msi afterburner and got the fans working but if i start pc they arnt working till i load up afterburner. And i have posted an image to see if my settings in AB are correct please?

Soldato
Have you recently updated the driver?? Perhaps something has got corrupted with the AMD fan curves, if not you can try a newer driver to see if that clears it.

If they work with afterburner then they should be fine once the software is sorted.

Associate
OP
i updated drivers but same issue pc starts up with fans totally off on the GPU. i turned them on with MSI AB again but then started a game and it crashed after a few mins and had to restart pc :(

Associate
Are you sure the fans aren't designed to only come on once the card is under load? In which case they wouldn't come on when you boot up windows but they should once you start playing a game.

Associate
yea my old 390 did this at stock untouched, you can override it by setting a custom profile in ab like you have done, but you have to make sure the profile is forced on, alternatively try the latest AMD driver and use the curve in there, on the 390 ab use to sometimes not apply the curve on boot up..

Permabanned
All RX cards only turn on the fans at 50c+, personally I think they should be dual Bois with the options to run the fans.

If you set msi afterburner to run fans at 25% you can't hears them and the gpus idle around 27c

Associate
OP
thanks guys for the info. the thing is my fans on the gpu have been load for weeks when i started to look it up on why they was so loud and everyone said it was normal even after using afterburner they was still loud and they was on all the time now all of a sudden its changed. latest drivers i have are 18.12.2! never changed any fan settings so not seen the curve part

Associate
OP
went into fan settings on amd and there was a Zero RPM which was turned on so i turned it off then fans came on but very slow. the settings show
activity 92%
GPU 305mhz
memory 300mhz
temp 21c
fan: 1172 RPM

not sure if thats normal or not because never had a fan issue :(
though it was always around 30-40c all the time till yesterday and i only play ARK game via steam mostly

Associate
went into fan settings on amd and there was a Zero RPM which was turned on so i turned it off then fans came on but very slow. the settings show
activity 92%
GPU 305mhz
memory 300mhz
temp 21c
fan: 1172 RPM

not sure if thats normal or not because never had a fan issue :(
though it was always around 30-40c all the time till yesterday and i only play ARK game via steam mostly

you need to adjust the percentages for the temp, in order to specify how fast you want the fans to be, just have a play with it, you cant really break anything, fan curves tend to curve up as temps go up, i/e 10% at 20c, 20% at 30c etc
ps you current setting is perfectly fine :)

Last edited:
Associate
OP
thanks for all the help guys, i have the fans working but all i can say if this was a feature it was never in affect as my fans was always on and mostly loud since july when i bought it and i didnt update the cards driver since near a week ago and it only started this week. one last thing in the wattman settings should i change the power limit from 0% or anything else please, some was shown in the last image link i posted.

Only reason i ask and more of a bother is because before this happened if i was playing a game and had to go back to desktop and use browser or put music player on it would be fine, now the web browser will stutter or lag and sometimes my music will now jump while surfering even if game isnt on in the background?!

so all i ask of someone can just give me that last bit of info please.
thanks

Associate
OP
well no change still crashes a lot and fans go super loud and fast and i think i will just send the card back to OCUK for them to tell me if its ok or not as it wasnt like this for 2 months i had it from june and if this was a stupid update that made this change then i wish i had gone Nvidia :(

Back
Top Bottom