Powerline or wifi bridge for 2 meter gap?

Associate
Morning all.

I currently have a home network that is wired through a netgear router (DG834). I have two PCs in my office and an HTPC in the living room all connected via ethernet, plus the wifi (wireless G i think) from the DG834 for the phones and the wifes laptop.

We have just got a new TV for the bedroom and I want to add a raspberry pi with XBMC for media player duties.

Now, the issue is getting a network connection to the raspberry pi. I have many movies in 1080p that are 8-14 GB big, and do occasionally play rips straight from the blu-ray. (I am aware of the limitations of the raspberry pi)

The distance between the netgear router and the raspberry pi will only be about 2 meters or so from one bedroom, across the landing to another bedroom, line of sight with only interior doors in between that are usually open anyway.

Ideally I would use an Ethernet cable, but I cant neatly and safely run a cable, (it’s a rented house so I cant drill, and the cable would pass the top of the stairs, so not good from a safety point of view since I cant nail it down)

So my options seem to be wifi or homeplugs.

I have a Linksys WRT54L that I could setup as a wireless bridge to use with the netgear, or I could get some homeplugs to provide the link. Based on the distance etc, which option seems like the best? I could try the wireless option without spending any money, since I already have the equipment, but it would take a little time to set it all up, and I would be limited to wireless G speeds.

I don’t suppose there are any other affordable point to point links worthy of consideration?

Thanks

Soldato
I wouldn't want to stream 1080p to my raspberry pi over Wi-Fi, but if you have a fast and high capacity SD card in your PI you could set up a network share on it, and transfer what you want to watch onto it and that way you'll know when you play it back it's all local so should play flawlessly without stuttering. It's not as ideal as streaming, but it can work with the slow speed of wifi and it's potential for being a bit erratic.

Back
Top Bottom