• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

PPT? TDC? EDC? PTC? WTF?

Associate
Hi all, I was recently converted from the blue team to the red. My first AMD CPU is the Ryzen 7 2700X.
So far I'm loving the video encoding speeds compared to my old Intel Core i7 4790.

I got myself an Asus Rog Strix X470-F Gaming motherboard and 16GB DDR4 3200 Corsair Dominator Platinum Ram.
Hopefully, I've given all the specs I need to give, if not please ask. :D

My reason for joining in the conversations on this forum is to ask what PPT, TDC, EDC and PTC are? These are things that are coming up in Ryzen Master and I can't make sense of them. I have Googled but can't make sense of the explanations. Can anyone tell me, preferably in plain English, what these actually mean? :confused:
In Ryzen Master, EDC is coming up in the red at 95-100% of 140A with a limit of 168A.
PTC (CPU) is at 95C but on the left Temperature is at 60-80C - I am encoding a 1080p home video from my Sony camera to mkv to share with family at the same time.

PPT and TDC are both in the 80-90% range.

As I said, this is my first AMD and I'm ready for my crash course.

Thank you greatly for any help anyone can provide :p

Soldato
Hello.

Welcome to the forum.
Sorry I can't help you but I thought I would give your thread a bump. Only fair as you are a new user and have a very reasonable questions. Hopefully someone can answer them.

Soldato
Those are the parameters used by XFR2 to determine how to boost your cpu. It determines how much thermal headroom the cpu has for example.

Some higher end motherboards will allow you to override these values to attain more prolonged higher boost values.

Soldato
Yes, if you have an ASUS motherboard, im not sure if its the same as the CH7, but in the bios there were 4 different precision boost options you could choose, level 1 to 4 that would just change those settings for you, personally id just leave them at stock and either use PB as it comes or manually overclock your CPU.

Associate
OP
Hmmm. Interesting. I do want to learn to overclock but maybe I'll just leave as is for now and lurk around the forums a bit more so I can get my confidence in such things. Should I be worried about the high percentages or is that something that is supposed to be high?
Thanks, and thanks for the responses and bump.

Soldato
Hmmm. Interesting. I do want to learn to overclock but maybe I'll just leave as is for now and lurk around the forums a bit more so I can get my confidence in such things. Should I be worried about the high percentages or is that something that is supposed to be high?
Thanks, and thanks for the responses and bump.

I would personally suggest a basic overclock, it’s very easy and you will find performance jumps somewhat. You can test the effect by downloading something basic like cinebench.

If not you will be boosting on two cores I think vs a conservative clock done manually on all.

Associate
OP
I'm currently using the Wraith cooler that came with my Ryzen. Do you think I'd be better water cooling before I start my overclocking experiment? I was looking at this one - https://www.overclockers.co.uk/asus...cooler-with-oled-display-120mm-hs-04g-as.html

My CPU seems to be getting a little too hot for my liking sometimes hitting 70-80 Degrees C when it's sitting idle. That's according to Ryzen Master which according to some users of this forum is the better program for giving true temps. This whole thing has been a bit of a headache, but as I said, I'm ready for my crash course and it's people like you guys that make it a little easier for me to understand - so thanks

Soldato
I'm currently using the Wraith cooler that came with my Ryzen. Do you think I'd be better water cooling before I start my overclocking experiment? I was looking at this one - https://www.overclockers.co.uk/asus...cooler-with-oled-display-120mm-hs-04g-as.html

My CPU seems to be getting a little too hot for my liking sometimes hitting 70-80 Degrees C when it's sitting idle. That's according to Ryzen Master which according to some users of this forum is the better program for giving true temps. This whole thing has been a bit of a headache, but as I said, I'm ready for my crash course and it's people like you guys that make it a little easier for me to understand - so thanks

First of all, 70-80oC is really 60-70oC, I know, sounds crazy right, but AMD added the +10oC offset to the CPU's to get the CPU fan to ramp up earlier, if you download HWInfo, under the CPU temp section it will show you what your CPU is reporting and what the real temp is, however, that is a little hot for idle temps, id check your mounting of the cooler is OK before proceeding.

XFR and PBO will be automatically disabled when you start manually overclocking, although to be sure, disable core performance boost in the bios, RyZen is dead easy to overclock, and the stock cooler you have is a fairly decent one, the one you linked is defo better though, and if you really want to push your CPU, you would need that one and do away with the stock cooler.

Make sure your CPU core voltage isn't on Auto, Auto puts more than is needed through your CPU which is probably why you are seeing such high temps, a good starting point would be set the multiplier to 38 (3.8ghz) and core voltage to 1.3v, also set SOC voltage to 1.100v this helps with your ram, then when back in windows, open HWInfo to monitor temps, select sensors only when you launch it to bypass information that you wont need, and then for a quick test.....personally id fire up 50 passes of IBT on standard, keep a close eye on temps as this will really get it cooking, it only takes about 15 mins to run, but nothing you ever run again will get it that hot, if it passes, go back to the bios and bump the multiplier upto x40 (4ghz), then test again, if it fails, id suggest getting the cooler you linked before adding anymore voltage, most 2700X will do 4.2ghz across all cores.

HWinfo: https://www.hwinfo.com/

IBT: https://www.techspot.com/downloads/4965-intelburntest.html

w22l2x.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
OP
WOW! That is really good info and thank you for taking the time to write all that out and explain it in terms that are easy for me to understand.

I like that cooler as it has a funky OLED screen although I'm sure it's maybe overkill and a bit gimmicky. I've also been looking at NZXT ones as a lot of members on here seem to have them.

I'm going to check that out tonight and report back when I get the time. Thank again. You're an absolute star!

Soldato
WOW! That is really good info and thank you for taking the time to write all that out and explain it in terms that are easy for me to understand.

I like that cooler as it has a funky OLED screen although I'm sure it's maybe overkill and a bit gimmicky. I've also been looking at NZXT ones as a lot of members on here seem to have them.

I'm going to check that out tonight and report back when I get the time. Thank again. You're an absolute star!

You're welcome, Which case do you have ? a 240mm might be a better option.

Associate
OP
I did cheap out on the case :rolleyes:
I got this one https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00KDR6N4M/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Unfortunately, it can only take 1x120 at the back but can take 2x120 at the front. None on top. I bought these https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01LA0R2X6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and have one at the back for exhaust and 2 at the front for intake. I know I will probably regret the cheap case but I use my BluRay pretty often and the really good (and purdy) cases I found didn't have room for optical drives.
Do you think I could attach a 240 to the front instead of the back??? Hmm. Maybe not. I have my HDD's in the front too and there may not be enough room for the fans and the grill of a water cooler. I really shouldn't have cheaped out on the case. Perhaps this is something a newbie should read! Haha

All of this is very confusing to someone like me, but I really appreciate the input.

Associate
OP
Ok so I tried the overclocking method you described and my system completely froze after 2 minutes in idle.

I installed my Corsair Hydro H55 (after ordering the AM4 retention bracket from Corsair) and this has made no difference to temps. Even at idle I'm getting about 60-80C. I've checked the AIO and there is vibration and the tubes are a little warm. The exhaust fan that the radiator is attached to is blowing out warm/hot air, so I'm guessing the AIO is working?

I've decided to leave the overclocking for now until I get get the temps way down while idle and at factory defaults. Do you think I may have a faulty CPU?

Thanks

Associate
Hopefully I can give a bit of useful info as I have been playing with the 2700x and a Asus motherboard recently.

One thing I have noticed is it's very easy to be using overclocked settings without realising it.

PPT is the maximum watts and TDC is the maximum amps.

Even though the processor is officially a 95w TDP model by default it allows up to 141.75w and 95A TDC when using the precision boost function.

In the motherboard BIOS I think this is listed as Core Performance Boost.

With this feature on you are pretty much getting the best power/performance ratio without going over AMDs stock settings.

You can go higher by either adjusting the Precision boost settings or the Performance enhancer (which adjusts these settings for you.)

However using those settings will push things further and might have you running a bit hotter than you would like.

To start I would recommend getting the system to the AMD default configuration and see how you are looking with temperatures and performance.

These are the settings I would recommend trying:

Performance enhancer - Default
Voltages - All auto
Performance bias None
Core Performance Boost - Enabled

Then go to Advanced > AMD CBS > NBIO Common Options > Precision Boost Overdrive Configuration

Then make sure Precision boost Overdrive and Precision boost Scaler are both disabled.

Once all that is done Rzyen master should then be showing you a TDC of 95A and EDC of 140A which are the stock settings for having Precision boost and XFR enabled.

It's also worth checking your power plan. Type in the start menu 'Edit Power Plan' and then click change advanced power settings. Then scroll down to 'Processor power management' and make sure the 'Minimum processor state' is set to 5%'

That should give you the best blend of temperature to performance and if you have some headroom left you can then start clocking things a bit higher.

Associate
OP
I shall try this ASAP. Thank you for taking the time. I really appreciate it. Would a higher wattage PSU be in my best interest? I currently have a 550W PSU in that build but I have 750W in my work computer, and I could swap them over as the 750W one in work is just overkill I think.

Associate
No problem. It depends what graphics card and other parts you have in your system but unless you other parts that are very power hungry 550w should be fine.

Recently just got a 2700x and Rog Strix X470-F, also learning myself how to get the most out of this. Ive just set my core voltage at 1.32, turned EDC off and i run my TeamGroup 4000 ram at 3200 with 15 timings. It seems pretty good, all core boost is around 4.2 and temps seem pretty decent at 50-55c gaming and 30-40 idle.

Its funny, i ran Prime95 expecting it to cook but it ran for hours and never got above 50c but i tested Mass Effect Andromeda and the cpu was spiking at 60c! :O

Cooler is a Thermalright Macho, seriously impressed with it for 40 quid!

Soldato
Recently just got a 2700x and Rog Strix X470-F

I've got a similar board (x470i). I've just put it on my test bench to set things up on air before putting under water. Having got as far as installing Windows, I'm now going through the initial software setup.

Question: did you install the chipset drivers from the ASUS support page?

I'm never sure whether to install any of the drivers or just let Windows handle it all.

I've got a similar board (x470i). I've just put it on my test bench to set things up on air before putting under water. Having got as far as installing Windows, I'm now going through the initial software setup.

Question: did you install the chipset drivers from the ASUS support page?

I'm never sure whether to install any of the drivers or just let Windows handle it all.

Yeah i installed them, all seems well but im sure windows would load its own versions and still be fine. I had a Gigabyte board previously and i didnt bother installing its chipset drivers and let windows do its thing, never had a problem.

Back
Top Bottom