pre made curry sauces

Soldato
Soldato
Have you ever considered making a base gravy for curries?
You can cook a large batch and freeze portion sizes. just remove one from the freezer the morning before cooking it
You can cook a curry in 10 mins using a base gravy

I've made a few based on Latifs video's previously and they are so simple and easy to freeze as you say.

Latif has also been known to throw in some Patak's sauces into his curries and makes no secret about it in some of his video's, so perhaps a help for some that do not want to make a large base.

Soldato
I've made a few based on Latifs video's previously and they are so simple and easy to freeze as you say.

Latif has also been known to throw in some Patak's sauces into his curries and makes no secret about it in some of his video's, so perhaps a help for some that do not want to make a large base.
Exactly, I have tried loads of jarred currys/pastes over the years and never really liked any of them.
Like I said with a base gravy, a curry takes no longer than cooking a jarred curry and I would bet its much nicer

Soldato
More a general question for those that have used the Previn's store before, how long does it usually take for them to get an order packed and shipped? Order a bunch of stuff last Thursday morning and so far all I've had is confirmation that the order was received.

Associate
Exactly, I have tried loads of jarred currys/pastes over the years and never really liked any of them.
Like I said with a base gravy, a curry takes no longer than cooking a jarred curry and I would bet its much nicer
Same here m8 i making big batch of base gravy and put in the freezer so much nicer and you can make lots of different Curry's.

Soldato
The Aldi jars with a separate pot of spices are surprisingly decent for the cost

e.g.

I gave the Aldi Korma and Balti a go today, not bad at all, especially when you factor the cost. I reckon about par with Pataks but Pataks is twice the price unless it's on offer, although it often is to be fair.

Had a fair bit of heat, the Balti had a nice background heat where as the Pataks ones are really really mild. Even the Pataks Phaal is pretty mild.

I don't regularly shop at Aldi, only due to distance, but they do pull things like this out the bag, their ground coffee/coffee beans for example are really not bad, meat and vegetables tend to be good.

Edit: it was Madras sorry, that one and Korma.

Associate

You probably know this, but in case others haven't watched his videos, and to avoid confusion, it's not actually the Patak's sauces he uses, it's their pastes which are quite different.

Soldato
You probably know this, but in case others haven't watched his videos, and to avoid confusion, it's not actually the Patak's sauces he uses, it's their pastes which are quite different.

Yes totally correct and my mistake for typing sauce, when it should been paste.

Associate
Got one of these at the artisan market last week, it's bloody lovely and as the wife is allergic to citrus I get to have a portion and freeze a portion##

R&G Thai curry pastes are superb, if a little expensive. Our local asian supermarket sells Lobo pastes and they are a big step up from Mae Ploy and the rest, and under a pound a sachet.

Sainsburys own brand coconut milk is the best I've found, with more coconut per tin than the rest.

For Indian curries, a friend's Indian mother buys the Kohinoor range and they are good. The new Tesco Finest range of sauces wasn't bad.

And while not in jars, shout out to The Spicery for tasty curry kits and good quality spices.

Back
Top Bottom