1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Preferred pronouns

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ayahuasca, 22 Jul 2021.

1. Ayahuasca

Capodecina

I know this was a big topic a couple of years back when JBP argued the case in Canada (Bill C-16).

I've only just started noticing it hit the workplace over here with several people including their preferred pronouns after their name in email signatures. Personally, it doesn't affect me at the moment and the ones I've seen so far are normal (not seen ze/hir yet for example).

Anyone else noticed it creeping in and if so, thoughts?

2. dLockers

Sgarrista

Yes, it's an out of the box feature of WorkDay too now. I don't care in the slightest.

3. VoG

Soldato

Not seen it or experienced it yet & i'll use what ever pronoun they want as it costs me nothing to do so, & is a simple matter of respect.

4. Lysander

Capodecina

Yes, as I mentioned in another thread recently, one of my colleagues has her name on her ID badge and "Pronouns: She/Her" on it.

I haven't seen it adopted en masse here though, just one or two special people have it on their name badges, and one or two special people have it in their email signatures.

5. chroniclard

Capodecina

Not experienced it myself, wouldnt be fussed, but wife has dealt with a fair few employment related issues about it (lawyer).

6. Hades

Caporegime

It's becoming common at my place. I've not yet seen anyone put anything other than him/he and her/she. I don't have a problem with it but I do wonder whether it's just virtue signalling as most of those adding it tend to be people actively trying to progress higher in the organisation.

7. iamdjdz

Mobster

I don't get it, it's like referring to yourself in third person all the time and very weird.

8. Lysander

Capodecina

Well, it's so people know how to address you with the correct gender identity so that you don't get offended.

9. iamdjdz

Mobster

See this I don't understand, I don't address people using a gender identity to their faces.. And it's pretty clear what gender people are or are trying to be when talking about someone to someone else. It makes zero sense.

Edit to rephrase

10. Hades

Caporegime

Fixed that for you :D

11. Delvis

Caporegime

I may be thick, but why put she/her of they're already female/she /her or is it to do with identifying?

Tbh, it doesn't bother me, I'm more intrigued just so I know!

12. Hades

Caporegime

Fascist! Mysogenist! :D

13. Delvis

Caporegime

I know someone who is female, always has been. And they have she/her on the end of their profile.

?

I'd understand if they wanted to be he/him?

14. Lysander

Capodecina

In 99% of cases it is, yes. But if you make a mistake the misidentified party will correct you and then post about oppression on social media, and the company may end up having to pay out compensation and change their logo to rainbow colours.

15. Cooler running

Wise Guy

I call them how I see them, if they complain they get called "it" in place of both their pronouns and proper-noun's

16. Armageus

Don

I'm not sure what difference it makes either - I can't really think of a situation where I wouldn't refer to people at work by name.

17. dLockers

Sgarrista

It's to make those who don't use the usual pronouns feel more comfortable and included.

18. SixTwoSix

Capodecina

I've seen a few folks doing it at work the last 2 weeks actually.

Can I get away with adding 'Attack Helicopter / Sex Chopper' at the end of mine?

19. adolf hamster

Sgarrista

indeed, seems to be much more usual these days for "hi [firstname]....." for internal mail most of the time.

even easier when academic titles are involved (Dr/Professor).

that said, don't know anyone in my workplace who's preferred pronoun would be unintuitive, or if there are they're not bothering to communicate it.

20. Armageus

Don

You could but it would be quite odd. I would think your preferred pronouns if your identify as an attack helicopter would be "it/it's" ?