Preferred pronouns

Capodecina
Soldato
You need to get it accepted first though.

1. Buy a bright pink wig (or dye your hair pink)
2. Get your tongue, nose, cheek, chin, eyebrow, nipple and belly button pierced
3. Put lots of purple and black makeup on
4. Wear torn stockings
5. Make a placard saying "I want to be accepted as Sir/MyLord"
6. Get a load of your friends and march around parliment square for an afternoon
7. If the media interviews you, just argue with them and get all stroppy - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOmDBmd-Xk4

Then you can use "Sir/MyLord"

Don't try and dress up as this guy though as it won't work: https://wagingnonviolence.org/2018/12/meet-the-activist-who-brought-the-monopoly-man-meme-to-life/

Geez....don't you lot know how all this works

You forgot the vegan tattoos.

Soldato
I've considered putting "Sir / MyLord" but it will get shot down by HR as not one of the "acceptable" pronouns - which would be quite entertaining as I thought the whole point was you should be free to choose your pronoun to make you feel more comfortable and accepted.
They don't get to decide what is and isn't acceptable.
There are 41 sets of officially adopted pronouns, according to our employee guide book on the topic... though I note that there are several different representitative organisations that define which are the official ones, and none of them actually agree on which ones those are... and yet we're still directed to accept even those that aren't on the official list.

Soldato
Yes, all this pronoun **** is dumb as ****.

A previous company I worked for were right ***** for this ****, well mainly the Equality & Diversity Officer, but the management get lumped in too for being too spineless to tell her to shut the **** up and shove her mental illness where the sun don't shine. We had an email from HR asking us to enter our preferred pronouns into the company directory. Apparently, for reasons, 'It', 'That' and 'This' doesn't count and I got summoned to the manager's office for a rollicking as it was deemed to be a **** take, and ergo a hate crime on par with genocide. Was hilarious, you could tell that the manager thought it to be as ridiculous as I did, but he daren't say anything due to the purse lipped harridan being in the room too. :p

Soldato
They don't get to decide what is and isn't acceptable.
There are 41 sets of officially adopted pronouns, according to our employee guide book on the topic... though I note that there are several different representitative organisations that define which are the official ones, and none of them actually agree on which ones those are... and yet we're still directed to accept even those that aren't on the official list.
How many countries are in the world?

Soldato
I'm not convinced normalising the use of chosen pronouns is a good thing. It is a victory for a rather nasty bunch of identarian groups who really should be opposed at all costs. I have no issue with behaving courteously toward people but embracing and normalising the tools of divisive crusades ain't that.

Soldato
"Jedi Master" surely has to creep in at some point :D

Still can't believe we are being expected to take this BS seriously. Also who gets to decide what is "acceptable" lol? It's ALL fantasy, why is some fantasy allowed and others not?

Soldato
My pronouns are no one else's business and people can call me whatever they like, I don't think I've ever experienced offence as I've never taken it when offered.

However, if someone has a preference to how they would like to be referred to then I have no issues in trying my best to accommodate that as I would class myself as decent and respectful. The issue becomes a little more sinister when there is a level of compulsion to it all, comply or be denounced, shunned, punished etc.

EDIT: also, there has to be allowance for education, understanding and mistakes without going straight to jail, disciplinary or judgement. Obviously there are cases where people just want to use the wrong pronouns to **** people off and that should be challenged.

Last edited:
Soldato
I know someone who is female, always has been. And they have she/her on the end of their profile.

?

I'd understand if they wanted to be he/him?
For me it's more creating a space / environment where those who may not feel they identify as you and I, more seemingly obvious, can feel they can put those without standing out and it being awkward

Soldato
Frankly i think it's a good thing. I'm not bothered what pronouns you use, but if they're not obvious (he/she) then i'd rather be able to tell rather than assume.
Yes, and that's kind of the point in having it more widely done. So I'm all for it, makes no difference to me, but if it makes someone else feel more at ease, then why wouldn't I?

Sgarrista
Commissario
I generally cant remember someones name past the first 10 minutes of meeting them, so I sure as hell aint gonna start remembering peoples preferred X Y or Z.

Soldato
My pronouns are no one else's business and people can call me whatever they like, I don't think I've ever experienced offence as I've never taken it when offered.

However, if someone has a preference to how they would like to be referred to then I have no issues in trying my best to accommodate that as I would class myself as decent and respectful. The issue becomes a little more sinister when there is a level of compulsion to it all, comply or be denounced, shunned, punished etc.

EDIT: also, there has to be allowance for education, understanding and mistakes without going straight to jail, disciplinary or judgement. Obviously there are cases where people just want to use the wrong pronouns to **** people off and that should be challenged.

But not everyone believes in this stuff and shouldn't their beliefs be respected too?

We don't have to follow a religion or take part in it's customs, we shouldn't have to follow this either. It's him or her, or you are welcome to be offended. Sorry not sorry.

Soldato

You probably haven't taken offence because you weren't there when the pronouns were used. That's the thing about he/she/them/they - those words tend to be used when people are talking about you not to you.

This idea of mandating pronouns used is an attempt to force you to use specific words about people even when they are not present to hear those words. It's fascistic language control and should be resisted politely but firmly.

Man of Honour
I'm not convinced normalising the use of chosen pronouns is a good thing. It is a victory for a rather nasty bunch of identarian groups who really should be opposed at all costs. I have no issue with behaving courteously toward people but embracing and normalising the tools of divisive crusades ain't that.

I agree with that.

[..] Also who gets to decide what is "acceptable" lol?

The rather nasty bunch of identarian groups who are on divisive crusades. Authoritarianism is a very large part of what they're all about. Identity politics is a mix of authoritarianism and irrational prejudices. Some followers of the ideology place more emphasis on promoting authoritarianism and some place more emphasis on promoting irrational prejudices, but they all promote both as using each to promote the other is the point of identity politics.

Soldato
You probably haven't taken offence because you weren't there when the pronouns were used. That's the thing about he/she/them/they - those words tend to be used when people are talking about you not to you.

This idea of mandating pronouns used is an attempt to force you to use specific words about people even when they are not present to hear those words. It's fascistic language control and should be resisted politely but firmly.

Wholly agree with the bit in bold. Are we going to have spies to report in when people use the wrong ones, private conversations brought up etc. I'm currently reading 1984 for the first time in decades, through an adults eye in reflection of what is happening in the western world. Even just the first 8 or so chapters are frighteningly close to what you can see and hear our future world heading towards.

Me not taking offence is a general thing. I was brought up to not take any comment to heart, ever, as it served no purpose other than to affect me. Maybe I'm broken by my upbringing as hearing negative comment about me, my being or my characteristics is just met with no emotion at all. It practically made me unoffendable, but that doesn't mean I think everyone should be that way. I do struggle to understand what people get out of taking offence though, it's a wholly negative process for both parties.

Soldato
It's used quite a bit in some zoom meetings in work.

I don't see the need to label what you want to be identified as, if someone calls you him/he and you want to be identified as her/she, just tell them for goodness sake if it means that much to you.

Soldato
Yes I've encountered it at work, and linkedin, and email footers from elsewhere, and twitter ofc.
I think it makes the person look less professional, I feel embarassed for them.
I also see it as a "stay clear of this person" red flag, as if they're more likely to get triggered and try to cancel you or w/e.

Back
Top Bottom