Prep for grass seeding a new area?

Soldato
Ive decided to seed a fairly large area of soil as its currently a bit wasted as a border but would like to get it done as right as possible! Ive added some sharp sand to help break it up as it was hard as a rock and my next thing to do was mix in a load of compost. Ive been remving twigs and larger stones and roots etc but just wondering if its worth spraying the whole area with weed killer first? If so how long would I then wait before putting the compost down and then the seed?

The only issue Ive got is that Id like the grass level with the existing grass so do I just ensure the soil is level with the existing grass before putting the seed down? Obviously if I was going to turf it I would have had to made sure the soil was lower to allow for the thickness of the turf but just wanted to check with seed.

Any other tips or info greatly appreciated thanks.

Associate
If the soil is level with the existing ground that will be the level of the grass. Or am I missing something?
As for prep, you could spray it, glyphosate is what normally gets used in these situations. If you do that give it a few days, a week preferably to let it break down then you can prepare the ground. Take all the stones and crap that you don't want and get it to a fine tilth with raking. If you're committed dig it up and sieve/screen it to get it really fine, not much benefit to that unless you making a bowling green. Try to get it as flat as possible, otherwise when the earth starts to compact you'll get hard lumps and no amount of treading on it will level it.
Sprinkle the seed over as evenly as you can going up and down in strips, some people will say use a spreader to get the correct coverage but i've seeded about 100m2 in my garden and have absolutely no problem with coverage using handfuls of seed.
When the seed is down trample it with pigeon steps to press the seed in to the earth then leave it and give it a water. Let it grow to a few inches then mow it but only take the tops off, don't scalp it by going too low.

Also some grasses are better than others for different purposes, some are tougher and suitable for a lot of traffic, some are softer and are more suitable for show-type lawns. Generally the stuff in garden centres is a mixture but read the box to see what kind of surface it gives, it may turn out a different type of grass to what you have already though.

Last edited:
Soldato
You can do it now, nut wait for a week of forecast cooler/wetter weather personally. Regards sowing by hand, you can always mix it with top soil/sand before then rake it out get a more even coverage that way.

Soldato
OP
If the soil is level with the existing ground that will be the level of the grass. Or am I missing something?

That was my thinking but wanted to check that the roots didn't grow upwards and cause it to raise up 5mm or something daft like that. Thanks for the other info too, Ive still got quote a bit of prep to do it would seem!

Im assuming this weather wont last much longer so as soon as it cools down I'll have a bash at seeding it.

Soldato
Sounds like you're doing the right thing dig it over remove any perennial weeds, large stones, roots or any other rubbish. Incorporate compost peat or some other material. Then you need to walk all over it to firm it. Sounds counterintuitive but you don't want it sinking later when you walk on it. Rake it level and go over it again until there are no more soft spots. Then you're ready for sowing. Spring or autumn is easier but you can do it now just so long as you don't let it dry out and that means regular watering.

Should be up in a few weeks it'll look very thin and sparse at first don't cut it until it looks long and then only a very light cut. It'll thicken up in time. Or turf it.

Caporegime
i sowed a full area of grass about 2 months back. it's now ready for it's first cut i think. i'm letting it grow though to establish properly.

dug all the area up. raked it thoroughly to break all the soil up. water thoroughly the day before to soften it up if need be.

i then threw seed by hand all over it. raked it in then walked over it. then i watered daily for 2 weeks. it's now a full proper lawn. was amazing when it all came threw.

Soldato
i sowed a full area of grass about 2 months back. it's now ready for it's first cut i think. i'm letting it grow though to establish properly.

dug all the area up. raked it thoroughly to break all the soil up. water thoroughly the day before to soften it up if need be.

i then threw seed by hand all over it. raked it in then walked over it. then i watered daily for 2 weeks. it's now a full proper lawn. was amazing when it all came threw.

Through.....lol

Associate
For an area I've just done I dug with down by 20cm broke down soil lumps and removed as much stone as possible, dug in some compost and fertiliser then levelled and compacted by foot, threw on grass seed then covered this with a small layer of compost. watered it morning and evening and two weeks later it's about 1.5" high and looking good.

Soldato
why didn't you water it daily?

This is a requirement. If it doesnt rain, water it. If your not sure if it rained, water it. If your not sure there was enough rain, water it... Seed itself will survive dry, but if it starts growing then dries out it dies.
New grass/seeded area likes little and often watering, as the roots are not deep so a deep watering wont help.

Caporegime
It's more then that though, as soon as it starts looking dry you need to water it. It's not going to take much for the top of the ground to dry out in the summer heat.

hook up a sprinkler. stick it on in the morning before you leave for work. then once again after you get back.

i'm planning on planting some this weekend. last batch from 2 months back has came through lovely. will see what happens this time around.

Back
Top Bottom