• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

PREPARE YOUR WALLETS: ASUS ROG MATRIX 2080Ti LANDS THIS WEEK!!

Associate
Anybody who normally buys an xx80 card can just buy an xx70 this time.
The 2070 is terrible value though. Its only a little faster than a Vega 56/2060 for near £200 more. and pretty much matches a 1080 for price/performance except you could have got one of those years ago.

I think my 980 cost around £430 when it was the fastest card available bar halo products like Titans.

Caporegime
Soldato
The 2070 is terrible value though. Its only a little faster than a Vega 56/2060 for near £200 more. and pretty much matches a 1080 for price/performance except you could have got one of those years ago.

I think my 980 cost around £430 when it was the fastest card available bar halo products like Titans.
Not really. They overclock to a 1080ti and can be had for £450. That’s pretty damn good!

Soldato
Not really. They overclock to a 1080ti and can be had for £450. That’s pretty damn good!

I got my 1080 for £330, and it’s overclocked very well under water. I’d say 1080ti ballpark but I’d have to bench to be sure.

I actually think this a really nice looking card. With the rainbow chunder, transparent plastic and Fischer Price aesthetic of the current gen, it’s really great to see something grown up, aside from the ‘Founder’s Edition’ which is, imo, a beautiful if flawed card.

The price is of course ludicrous, but what did we expect if we enable NV by buying overpriced products. Plus, y’know, ASUS tax.

I actually think those who did/do buy RTX cards will receive a bit of a slap in the face soon. Imo we’ll see the next gen much sooner than many think. It’ll be reworked for 7nm (Low R&D = happy share holders) with a performance boost, actually useful RayTracing, and a more sensible price tag. Probably with a proper stable of RTX games too.

Nvidia need to leave Navi dead in the water before it launches, it threatens the major Warner of the market; mid to low end. What better way than to slash the prices of the current gen, and launch something new and exciting to steal mind share. And what better time to do it than before Navi launches?

Just my tuppence of course; I don’t have a crystal ball. But Jensen’s position is tenuous, in-house ASICS are threatening / have damaged several arms of their business, and the mess that was the RTX launch needs to be swept under the carpet and into distant memory as quickly as possible if he hasany hopes of retaining his leadership.

Soldato
I got my 1080 for £330, and it’s overclocked very well under water. I’d say 1080ti ballpark but I’d have to bench to be sure.

I actually think this a really nice looking card. With the rainbow chunder, transparent plastic and Fischer Price aesthetic of the current gen, it’s really great to see something grown up, aside from the ‘Founder’s Edition’ which is, imo, a beautiful if flawed card.

The price is of course ludicrous, but what did we expect if we enable NV by buying overpriced products. Plus, y’know, ASUS tax.

I actually think those who did/do buy RTX cards will receive a bit of a slap in the face soon. Imo we’ll see the next gen much sooner than many think. It’ll be reworked for 7nm (Low R&D = happy share holders) with a performance boost, actually useful RayTracing, and a more sensible price tag. Probably with a proper stable of RTX games too.

Nvidia need to leave Navi dead in the water before it launches, it threatens the major Warner of the market; mid to low end. What better way than to slash the prices of the current gen, and launch something new and exciting to steal mind share. And what better time to do it than before Navi launches?

Just my tuppence of course; I don’t have a crystal ball. But Jensen’s position is tenuous, in-house ASICS are threatening / have damaged several arms of their business, and the mess that was the RTX launch needs to be swept under the carpet and into distant memory as quickly as possible if he hasany hopes of retaining his leadership.

Problem for Navi is that cool running power efficient low-mid range cards already exist. It’s dead in the water.

Soldato
Problem for Navi is that cool running power efficient low-mid range cards already exist. It’s dead in the water.

Depends on price to performance I suppose, we don’t know their capability yet. I’m not excited about it.

But it won’t come close to 1080ti performance. That’s what the vii is for.

Is this really the case? It was my understanding that Vega64 sat between the 1080 and the 1080ti. If this is the case then an overclocked Vega64 is most definitely close.

Soldato
I see manufacturers are continuing with this trend of "lets see how high we can go before people stop" Please people, just stop, or it will get worse!!... 2k then 3k then beyond!!!

Soldato
Vega64 is pretty far ahead of the 1070. Vega56 was usually on par with 1070ti or better even before more recent improvements.

Another thing is Nvidia put caps hard on power, so you can only overclock them up to a point. With Vega you can just keep giving it more and more.

Last edited:
Soldato
I see manufacturers are continuing with this trend of "lets see how high we can go before people stop" Please people, just stop, or it will get worse!!... 2k then 3k then beyond!!!

It’s the world we will live for now

We’re at the peak of the boom cycle, the next global recession is coming. People are flush with cash and cheap easy to get debt right now. so companies wants to maximise revenue before sales go down.

It’s not justvgraphics card - food, clothes and other electronics like tvs phones etc has all skyrocketed in price

Back
Top Bottom