Preparing for new lawn

JRJ

JRJ

Associate
I need to tackle the lawn and get it seeded before winter to have any hope of a semi decent lawn by next summer, the lawn area is just under 400m2 we had a digger scrape all the top soil off and level the clay before relevelling the top soil when the initial ground works were done but has since become a dumping ground. I've slowly been removing all the rubbish and almost ready to start preparing, I've bought a bottle of Roseate 360 to kill everything but which order should I do it in -

Kill everything
Rotavate and rake level
Seed

or

Rotavate then kill everything?

Soldato
Be careful using a strong weedkiller before seeding as it can often still be active weeks after using.
I would kill every thing first, as the weedkiller is better if its absorbed through the leaves.
Then rotavate.
What's the soil like?
If there is a lot of clay, u would be better to put down a layer of sharp sand first to help with drainage, then a layer oftopsoil with 25% sharp sand mixed through it.
Also wait until late September to seed

JRJ

JRJ

Associate
OP
Great thanks, the soil is great with probably about 6-10 inches of it on top of the clay, I'll need to rotavate and rake out the large mounds and level off may need to bring some soil in.

Associate
Definitely leave the weedkiller on for 7 to 10 days before turning it over. The spray needs to get down to the roots to really kill it all off.

Associate
Either way you're gonna get weeds. I would just get the seeds on then use a selective weed killer once lawn has established if it's a problem. It's essentially what I did throughout this summer.

Reread your post. If you've already got loads of weeds then kill those first.

JRJ

JRJ

Associate
OP
Either way you're gonna get weeds. I would just get the seeds on then use a selective weed killer once lawn has established if it's a problem. It's essentially what I did throughout this summer.

Reread your post. If you've already got loads of weeds then kill those first.

It's wild at the moment so needs killing, I was hoping to seed September and hopefully have it half decent through winter, maintaining and selective weed killer from then onwards is no problem.

Back
Top Bottom