• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Prescott temperature

Associate
I can't seem to get a reasonable answer to this on google for some reason but I think that the answer is "70oC is the max".

I've had someone ask me why their computer is just freezing up sometimes (a problem which is getting worse for them). Their P4 Prescott sits at 77oC in the bios, it is a single core on socket 478... a 3ghz part which I can't seem to find in wikipedia's list.

Is 77oC too high for a prescott? I recall back at the time intel were just packing in the ghz to overcome the massive pipeline on the cpu and heat was going up.

Last edited:
I can't seem to get a reasonable answer to this on google for some reason but I think that the answer is "70oC is the max".

I've had someone ask me why their computer is just freezing up sometimes (a problem which is getting worse for them). Their P4 Prescott sits at 77oC in the bios, it is a single core on socket 478... a 3ghz part which I can't seem to find in wikipedia's list.

Is 77oC too high for a prescott? I recall back at the time intel were just packing in the ghz to overcome the massive pipeline on the cpu and heat was going up.

Way too high. My old P4 Prescott ran at up to 60 degrees maximum, when under heavy load, it stayed around the higher 40s when idle.

Associate
OP

Thanks, I saw that earlier but for some reason thought that was it's optimal working temp or something like that, but googling shows TCase is really the max working temperature.

Thanks to you also L2I. I didn't own intel for that generation, my A64 idles at 45C and 60 heavy load but for some reason I thought the intels were hotter. But thats good to hear it from an actual P4 owner.

Soldato
Remember though that TCase is only measureable with an external heat sensor mounted on the contact face of the heatsink (A custom job to say the least).

Core temp is TJunct, which is generally at least 15 degrees higher than TCase.

Early prescott chips built with the 90nm process could easily push out 60C+ idle temps if the cooling anything less than exceptional, as they had serious current leakage problems. However their load temps could be surprisingly low. IE their max working temps were generally "ok", but their idle temps were really poor compared to just about any other chip that was around.

The last generation P4's like the P4D Presler (not Smithfield) were build on the same 65nm process as Core2 Duo, and they were pretty good chips.

Back
Top Bottom