Preventing shin splints

Soldato
Over the past few years I've been fairly prone to shin splints. Before I go on any further I must note that I haven't been professionally diagnosed, but the symptoms are pretty obvious and match up exactly.

A year or two ago I got them quite bad for about a week or so after I went on a run, and as a result didn't do anything for ages. I've started running again and after my first session I felt fine. However I started out on another run 3 days after and almost instantly my shins started to hurt (they didn't at all throughout the first run).

Is there anything I can do to aid the prevention of getting them? Is it just down to my shoes or are there other factors involved too?

Any help would be greatly appreciated :).

Soldato
OP
I warm up and down so I don't think that's too much of a problem. Spend a good 5/10 minutes before and after stretching and I walk the first and last 300m or so at a quick pace.

Looks like I need to go shoe hunting! :(

Associate
Used to get it when I ddid a lot of running myself..so much so that I could sometimes get lumps appearing on the front of my shins. Good shoes doesnt help. Running on grass does! Avoid running on roads/concrete it at all possible.

Soldato
a friend of mine uses vibram five fingers and his seem to have gone away, completely different way of running, striking the foot more naturally. you need to start gradually but the long term effects are apparently great.

rotters

Soldato
OP
...so much so that I could sometimes get lumps appearing on the front of my shins.

This is what I had the first time round, although nothing obvious this time. Trouble is I don't like running on grass - seems to slow me down and I prefer taking road routes. Hmm! :/

a friend of mine uses vibram five fingers and his seem to have gone away, completely different way of running, striking the foot more naturally. you need to start gradually but the long term effects are apparently great.

Looks interesting :eek:! Anyone here personally use them?

Soldato
If you have shin splints - then rest, recover and start back slowly. Shin splints are predominantly an overuse injury caused by too much too soon.

That said, you'll experience discomfort whenever you begin a new form of exercise as you adapt, so don't immediatley jump into the "OMG I've got shin splints my legs will crumble if I run" camp.

Your 'grass slows me down' comment could point to the real issue, are you trying to run beyond your limits at the moment? Slow down, build up the mileage. Once you've established an endurance base, then think about speed. By then your legs should be used to running again.

Switching to something that forces you into a midfoot/forefoot stirke, whilst lessening the impact through the heel, may result in stressing the achilles/calf more. As for vibram five fingers.... hmmm.

Soldato
OP
Your 'grass slows me down' comment could point to the real issue, are you trying to run beyond your limits at the moment? Slow down, build up the mileage. Once you've established an endurance base, then think about speed. By then your legs should be used to running again.

I'm not physically trying to run a set distance in a certain time, I just get the feeling that when running on grass I'm not moving as smoothly or as efficiently as on a path.

Soldato
I'm not physically trying to run a set distance in a certain time, I just get the feeling that when running on grass I'm not moving as smoothly or as efficiently as on a path.

Obviously grass, as well as being more forgiving, will be uneven and make it less efficient as you try to stop yourself rolling over on your ankles etc. I'm always wary of the 'run on grass' advice as a fix-all as I've seen a few come a cropper on grass.

I still stand by the take it slow and easy approach to avoiding injury.

Soldato
The correct shoe DOES help if you have the wrong type to begin with.... I used to suffer from shin splints as well. I changed my running shoes for the correct type to suit my feet (turned out I am a slight over-pronator) and the shin splints vanished on the very next run....

"A miracle! He is the Messiah!" :p

Caporegime
I had this problem, so took 6 weeks off any running at end of football season.

As said it's likely to be overuse, you need to build up slowly

I bought some cushioned insoles and they have been fine since, just need to make sure I don't aggrevate them by running in the wrong shoes etc

Soldato
OP
Thanks for all the advice guys. Got to love videos made of pictures :p.

Might pop to a running shop and ask them to analyse my current run in my current trainers and see what they suggest, although I'm wary of them saying I need new shoes just for the hell of it.

Back
Top Bottom