Prime Video - Cannot see nor stream 4k/HDR content

Soldato
So the relevant components are:
55XE9305 TV. Yamaha RXV581 Receiver. PS4 Pro.

If I fire up Netflix, either on the PS4 Pro or native app on the TV all is well. I have a 4k category within Netflix and I can watch everything in it's full glory.
Netflix confirms 2160P and if I go into "Picture Settings" on my TV, I have the little HDR flag up to confirm that is also working (Brightness also automatically moves to Max).

If I fire up Prime Video, either on the PS4 Pro or native app things are very different. There is no "4k content" category to be found anywhere in Prime Video, all the searching I've done seems to indicate I should have that on the home page.
I've looked for known 4k/HDR content on Prime, so Grand Tour and Goliath. I cannot find a specific UHD stream and whilst streaming it only goes up to 1080P. On entering "Picture Settings" there is no HDR flag and the brightness has remained at 90.

It's almost as if Netflix is detecting the presence of 4k capable equipment, Prime video however is not. Is there anything that I can check? I cannot see any settings within the Prime Video app on either the PS4 Pro or the TV (someone on a different forum mentioned having to set "Best Quality" in the app, but I'm not seeing that).
HDCP 2.2 is fully enabled, not that I think that has any baring on things

Any thoughts?
Ta

Associate
I had this recently with a Nvidia Shield TV I returned. I never did figure it out.
I could play 4k from the Amazon app on my TV and then continue watching on the Shield. But I could not find the UHD content on the Shield when searching and the UHD section didn't appear in the list like it does on my TV

Associate
had the same issue on my DX 902b, now when i enter amazon , i hit the green button on my remote and it filters with included with Prime , 4k is now available for me

Soldato
OP
I'm at a total loss on this. The PS4 Pro I can almost understand, but the Native Prime Video app also having this problem is confusing.
I simply do not have a "Included with Prime 4k UHD HD TV" category to select. I've scrolled through every page of Prime Video and that category isn't there - which would indicate the app is not seeing a 4k capable setup. Something the Netflix apps on both the PS4 Pro and TV disagree with.
Green button doesn't do anything for me - I've got no filter options that I can find.

Man of Honour
Isn't the 4K or UHD content on Prime listed separately?

Plus it can a bit of time for some shows to actually start streaming in UHD.

When I had the Fire TV 4K streaming box it would initially start streaming the shows you mention in 1080p and only after a minute or so ramp up to UHD.

Soldato
Isn't the 4K or UHD content on Prime listed separately?

Plus it can a bit of time for some shows to actually start streaming in UHD.

When I had the Fire TV 4K streaming box it would initially start streaming the shows you mention in 1080p and only after a minute or so ramp up to UHD.

UHD has it's own section but it doesn't list all the programs, example S4 of Bosch was released Friday but didn't show the UHD in any section, to add it to my list I had to drill down to a previous season in the UHD then go through there to the latest season. I wish Amazon will one day do what Netflix does where you pick any program and it'll stream at the max you can support.

Man of Honour
It is quite frustrating the limitations and general fragmentation and disorganisation when it comes to UHD content especially on these platforms :(

Soldato
OP
I should have updated on this one.
So no matter what I did, there was no option for any 4k content within the App. I know Amazon aren't offering much, but it really was frustrating I couldn't find what little there was.
As it happened on Friday the latest firmware update for my TV went OTA (previously people were installing from USB). This update adds Dolby Vision, however some people have reported issues with built-in Netflix & Prime Video apps.
Anyway, did the update anyway, totally reset the TV and then inputting all my settings again.
Now the built-in Prime Video app (Version 4.4.0) is at last displaying the "4k UHD Content" option and I can watch this. I've not tried from the PS4 Pro again, however I'm reading mixed replies as to if the PS4 Pro Amazon App can actually output 4k anyway - so I'm happy enough with the app built into the TV.

Back
Top Bottom