Printer and scanner (MFP), mostly B&W, very occasional colour - ideas?

Capodecina
Soldato
I currently have an HP Laserjet. an Epson Stylus Photo R200 and a Canon LiDE 80 scanner - all ancient and in every case recovered when a company threw them out. They are largely still working, in the case of the scanner only on Windows XP. The LaserJet is connected to a LAN and I access it from a number of devices; it is brilliant but as it happens the sheet feeder jams if you have more than one sheet in it at a time - otherwise it tries to feed through all of the paper at the same time. For a variety of reasons I am looking to replace all of these devices with a single Multi Function Printer (MFP).

I rarely need to use the colour printer and don't actually print out that many B&W pages. It is my understanding that if you don't use a colour inkjet regularly you waste a lot of ink each time you switch it on as it clears the nozzles.

I do realise that the manufacturers could probably afford to give away the actual hardware if people bought their very profitable toner / ink cartridges.

Any suggestions / recommendations as to a suitable MFP?

ps - A3 and double-sided A4 printing would be handy but far from essential.

Capodecina
Soldato
OP
Looking at various reviews, the Brother MFC-J5335DW WiFi MFP at £90 after cashback with a four year guarantee seems to come highly recommended. It allows A3 printing which is handy.

Does anyone have any experience with the Brother MFC-J5335DW or the earlier MFC-J5330DW?

Capodecina
Soldato
OP
Yes, I had a look at the Epson ET-3600 (and the ET-2600 & ET-4500), largely on the basis of "cost-to-print". Unfortunately the reviews are not great and there seems to be some suggestion that when the waste ink tank fills up it costs a fortune to empty?!? To be honest, I don't do masses of printing and infrequently in colour.

Capodecina
Soldato
OP
Well I bought the Brother MFC-J5335DW WiFi MFP at £90 after cashback with a four year guarantee.
It arrived on Tuesday and I am (so far) VERY happy with it.
It is larger than I had expected but is not that heavy.
I have tried printing a few A3 flyers which work well.

I am happy :)

Soldato
Also brother printers only checks for blocked nozzles automatically once a week, so everytime you switch on the printer it should be ready to go within a few secs.

Associate
One option could be a HP OfficeJet 8720, it’s a beast at scanning and printing though not A3, currently available from HP with £50 cashback, a three-year on-site warranty, and also supports HP Instant Ink which provides cartridges from as little as £3.99 a month depending on your usage needs.

Associate
Actually £2/month or free on HP instant ink. I have a 5640 and pretty happy with it. Does not have the paper feed problems all of my previous HPs have had.

Soldato
Well I bought the Brother MFC-J5335DW WiFi MFP at £90 after cashback with a four year guarantee.
It arrived on Tuesday and I am (so far) VERY happy with it.
It is larger than I had expected but is not that heavy.
I have tried printing a few A3 flyers which work well.

I am happy :)

I'm in the market for a new printer, binned mine when i moved house. Where was the cash back from?

Capodecina
Soldato
OP
I'm in the market for a new printer, binned mine when i moved house. Where was the cash back from?
Brother (allegedly,I haven't received the cash back yet) - try googling "brother inkjet promotions" :)

Incidentally, the MFC-J5335DW is large but seems to work well - setup is long-winded and not brilliantly described - I use USB and the port is buried inside the printer, as is the Ethernet port.

Back
Top Bottom