1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

'Private' broadband providers

Discussion in 'Networks & Internet Connectivity' started by jonas123, 8 Sep 2020.

1. jonas123

Gangster

Hi all,

Not sure how to call them, but a company called g.network (similar to hyperoptic i guess) have laid cables on my street recently and are the only fibre option now (previously no fibre option)

Their intro packages look good, but do you know if in the future, other providers will be able to use their cables, such as BT or sky?

I'm not sure how it works if they have the sole right to use the cables since they laid them, or if they get that exclusivity for a certain amount of time?

Cheers

2. Caged

Capodecina

G.Network are an ISP and infrastructure owner, they don't wholesale.

They're good though.

3. Avalon

Soldato

If a provider lays a cable, the cable generally belongs to them, or the group they are part of, they may choose to open up to other providers on a wholesale basis, but no guarantee anyone will use them. BT for example only use OR understandably, Sky have history for flirting with network build, but it’s not really come to anything so far (they dropped the partnership with TT in York iirc and effectively agreed commercial terms with BUUK’s network, but it’s a drop in the ocean).

4. JonC

Wise Guy

Has anyone else had any experience with G.Network? Anyone know their policies on traffic shaping etc?

5. andy_mk3

Capodecina

I believe they're known as alt-nets by the way.

6. Shawreyboy

Wise Guy

This.

'Private' Internet would be classed as a Leased Line or similar where the connection is effectively a 1:1 line between you and the Switch at the Data Centre.

7. Janesy B

Caporegime

I know this is late, but there's no traffic shaping.