Private nurse.

Associate
Looking for a bit of advice here.
In September I have to go into hospital for a day for an ear operation and I have been searching for a private nurse for the day to look after my wife who has dementia and mobility problems.
On searching various nursing agencies it seems that they want to put long term care plans in place rather than just for one day.
Can anyone suggest an agency that will hire a qualified nurse for one day in the West Midlands / Birmingham area.

Soldato
Contact local Council Social Services for information on local Care Homes that take Dementia/Alzheimer's for Respite/Day Care, you can then leave your wife/relative in their care for anything from a day to a fortnight or they may be able to put you in touch with someone who can stay with your wife for the required time.

Associate
Ring local council, and see if you can get her into respite for a couple of days. You are gonna need some time to recover after your operation.

Commissario
As Doofer and ste2005 say contact your local council social services ASAP (your GP's surgery may even be faster*) and explain the situation, it may also be worth contacting the hospital so they can work it from their end, as your situation won't be unusual.

Often it seems that a call/fax from the GP's surgery to social services gets a far faster response than a call from the patient/carer.

*especially if both you and your wife go to the same one, so they know her condition and your op.

Soldato
Looking for a bit of advice here.
In September I have to go into hospital for a day for an ear operation and I have been searching for a private nurse for the day to look after my wife who has dementia and mobility problems.
On searching various nursing agencies it seems that they want to put long term care plans in place rather than just for one day.
Can anyone suggest an agency that will hire a qualified nurse for one day in the West Midlands / Birmingham area.

As others have said.

You should have a respite package set up and your wife should have direct payments set up. If not crack on with that - contact local social services and http://www.therowan.org

Soldato
You don't need a qualified nurse. You just need a support worker. The boss has been doing it for years. If your asking for a qualified nurse your going to get stung on charges and he/she probably doesn't know any more than what a support worker would know

Back
Top Bottom