Private parking ticket, any fight left in it? Appeals refused.

Associate
Look at this another way.....How long have you/and others spent appealing/review/checking the website/signs etc so far?

Not saying who's right or wrong, but for me, just pay the £70 and move on with life.

Spending more time and effort to dispute a relatively small fine, albeit not very clear in the wording of the place, I would just pay it a move on.

And this is why these vile parking companies exist. Whilst annoying, the value of the fine is small enough that the majority of people just cough up and these parking companies continue to profit by taking advantage of the unsuspecting general public.

I'm still fighting one. My appeal was rejected by the parking company (they always reject without even reading your appeal) and POPLA sided with them. The driver parked all day (and paid for the privilege - the car park has a flat fee so all day parking is the only option) but took longer than the allowed 10 minutes to do so. POPLA only look at points of law and on this basis, the driver broke the accepted law of 10 minutes 'grace'. I'm in the midst of receiving numerous debt collection letters. I await my court date.

Soldato
And this is why these vile parking companies exist. Whilst annoying, the value of the fine is small enough that the majority of people just cough up and these parking companies continue to profit by taking advantage of the unsuspecting general public.

I'm still fighting one. My appeal was rejected by the parking company (they always reject without even reading your appeal) and POPLA sided with them. The driver parked all day (and paid for the privilege - the car park has a flat fee so all day parking is the only option) but took longer than the allowed 10 minutes to do so. POPLA only look at points of law and on this basis, the driver broke the accepted law of 10 minutes 'grace'. I'm in the midst of receiving numerous debt collection letters. I await my court date.

good luck to you - hope it gets sorted to your satisfaction.

I ain't saying I would cough up for anything on a whim (i've ignored at least 3 tickets in the past) - but spending hours and hours/court dates/appeals/potentially still loosing - I just personally wouldn't spend any more time and effort fighting it and enjoy spending my time doing other things rather than waiting for court dates etc

Soldato
Pay and move on.

If its anything like my local hospital the car park company are scum and do actually chase staff for charges and fines. I ignored a few fines a couple of years ago and they escalated. Fact of life is these companies are scumbags. Pay and move on and forget about it.

Soldato

I ain't saying I would cough up for anything on a whim (i've ignored at least 3 tickets in the past) - but spending hours and hours/court dates/appeals/potentially still loosing - I just personally wouldn't spend any more time and effort fighting it and enjoy spending my time doing other things rather than waiting for court dates etc

This is why if it's clearly their mistake, you inform them you will be billing them for your wasted time (and do so)

Associate
Fact of life is these companies are scumbags. Pay and move on and forget about it.

booyaka said:

Whilst I get your points, it is a lot of unnecessary time and effort that is wasted fighting this. If people don't stand up and fight for themselves then these companies get away with it and continue. The only way to stop them is to stand up and fight. Unfortunately only a small number of people do this.

Yes, it's frustrating and time consuming (my appeal has already taken up hours of my time and many months) but in my opinion, no-one takes claim to money that I have worked hard for without a fight. £70 is not just the odd cup of coffee here or there.

Soldato
OP
Pretty petty, but it very obviously says that you have to register after you've exceed the four hours. Not that I would have read it properly at the time either.

The sign doesn't say to sign up after, it says if your stay exceeds 4 hours then you will need to register for the additional 4 hours. It is the website which states registration is to be done after the 4 hours is exceeded. It was already pre-arranged that the meeting was going to exceed 4 hours, the site employs parking attendants to ensure the other terms (parking in marked bays/areas) are enforced so the driver registered at the start of their visit so they were covered for the time they knew they were going to be there for. Around here they check every car plate for the fixed period and ticket anything which has overstayed. This was also confirmed by the reception staff that signing on was required and didn't correct to say it had to be done at the end of the visit, not the start.

Soldato
Head over to moneysavingexpert. There is a lot of info on there and people to help.

Chances are somebody has already been done by the same company at the same carpark for the same thing. There are guides on what to do / say, even when it goes to court.

Worst thing you can do though is identify the driver as most parking charges are to the driver not the registered keeper of the vehicle.

I had one cancelled recently, sent the evidence to Parking Eye, it was exactly word for word of somebody who had theirs cancelled. PE rejected the appeal. I sent exactly the same info to POPLA and they didn’t even contest it. Total waste of popla time

nam

nam

Soldato
this, folks over at peipoo have helped me greatly in the past to win 3 cases. don't delay get over to peipoo

Are people still advising "ignore" when these companies will take it to court? Pop over to Pepipoo and get their opinion - burying things rarely solves them.

Soldato
They'll. Believe me.
As ridiculous as it may sound, at the moment, when you park on private land, you automatically agree to their terms and conditions, and that makes some form of contract.
There's some movement trying to revert that, as clearly most of the ridiculous terms and fines are abused by some vultures, but until then, no chance to appeal if it really goes to court.

While it is possible a contract can form, it is usually very easy to find a something wrong in the entire process that makes it easy to say a contract was not formed.

On very rare occasions you get taken to court (some companies never do and others do on occasion). Even with the ones that do, an even smaller percentage will actually let it get to a hearing stage as they'd have to send a lawyer. They bail out at the stage where they have to pay a hearing fee.

Most of the parking charges can easily be fought off. I don't waste my time replying to the 95% of charges where they can't even be bothered to file a court claim to prove their supposed charge I apparently agreed to pay. If they can prove it in court (good luck as most fail to satisfy the technical requirements of PoFA), then fair enough they have shown a contract to exist and I will pay.

eq0aik0.jpg

You'll find the moneysavingsexpert forum littered with these things. This racket which is supposed to be made better regulated soon is built on very little and is mostly a massive bluff. As if someone agreed to pay £100 to park in a particular spot. In 10 years these "tickets" have risen from 500,000 to over 6.8 million (in 2018/2019).

https://www.thesun.co.uk/money/9094190/private-parking-charges-avoid-being-a-victim/

mE9UMF9.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom