Pro Cycling Discussion 2018

Soldato
Me neither, I was willing Yates up that last 1km.

Yesterday gives Dumoulin some confidence but the Eurosport comments suggested the next two stages don't perhaps suit "power" riders.

I can't see Pozzovivo attacking solo - I think he will follow Dumoulin (offensive) or Froome (defensive). Froome should do a Schleck and go for a monster all day break :D

Quoting yourself is probably bad form but Froome obviously read my suggestion :D

Soldato
So Froome has been blown for the first 2 weeks and now puts in a 80k solo attack on the last 2 days. I'm sorry but we've seen this all before.

Time will tell, we'll see. Something doesn't add up.

Soldato
So Froome has been blown for the first 2 weeks and now puts in a 80k solo attack on the last 2 days. I'm sorry but we've seen this all before.

How do you know he was blown? Also, a large portion of that 80k was downhill.

Last week all the haters were shouting Yates down as a doper, now it’s Froome. So many arm chair supporters seem to know more than the people involved :rolleyes:

Soldato

He was always going to ride into form towards the last week as he is going to ride the Tour. Last year he was weak in the Tour hoping to ride into form late and carry that form into the Vuelta. Also after crashing on the sighting lap before the first stage supposedly hit him badly because he had to pedal more with one side. Well that’s how the story goes.

Soldato
I think Sky are in a lose lose situation. Run the sky train people moan about it ruining cycling. If they make a break for it like yesterday Sky are doping.

I take the ride on face value and for me it was fantastic viewing. Thomas Dumoulin rode an awesome ride as well let’s jot forget.

Associate

Last week all the haters were shouting Yates down as a doper, now it’s Froome. So many arm chair supporters seem to know more than the people involved :rolleyes:

I think the downhill stat was one of the many impressive stats from yesterday. Doping doesn't necessarily allow you to gain ~40 seconds (correct if wrong but know was a good chunk of time) on a single steep descent.

Yesterdays feat was extremely impressive, and went against a lot of the negative things which have been said about Froome/Team sky recently i.e just sitting at the front controlling races/not attacking. Lets remember, the chase pack of Dumoulin, Pinot et al and were GC contenders, the certainly arent slouches and working as a group couldn't get it together to get time back on a solo effort by Froome.

I am hoping that Froome can finish this off as on that performance he fully deserves to be holding all 3 GT's at the same time, and all the plaudits that will come with his continued record breaking achievements.

Soldato
Domulin was supposed to have said that Richenbach descends like an old lady and he regretted riding behind him so much

Whose fault is that... he got loads of pulls from RB on the flat as he was working for Pinot. The other three under no obligation to help TD when they had dropped Pozzovivo and are fighting each for the white jersey.

TD not team mates left... not the fault of the other teams!

Sky done no work in the Giro as it’s been MitchScott vs Sunweb putting their teams on the line.

Do we forget Yates got a 4 month ban for a missed TUE... ;)

Soldato

If anything a solo rider putting time into a group of riders on descents and the flat is more remarkable than doing the same on climbs. Even so the stats show Froome gained time on the Dumoulin group evenly on the climbs and the flats/descents so not correct to say he stayed away because of the stage profile.

Soldato

Because I actually know how bike racing works ;). You don't win GTs by going fast downhill otherwise the sprinters would win them, but what do I know sat in my armchair.

He was always going to ride into form towards the last week as he is going to ride the Tour. Last year he was weak in the Tour hoping to ride into form late and carry that form into the Vuelta. Also after crashing on the sighting lap before the first stage supposedly hit him badly because he had to pedal more with one side. Well that’s how the story goes.

You don't gain form in the last week of a GT you loose it. Look at Yates/Aru - dead. So either Froome was a master tactician or there is something not right - again im just sat in my chair.

Last edited:
Soldato
You may not lose form at the same level however. 12 days for Yates in pink will take more out of him so he may have started at a 10/10 and now is a 5/10. Froome may have started at 9/10 but still be riding at 8/10 of his ability.... same for TD, might have gone from 10/10 to 8/10 however Froome is better than TD hence he was able to hold/pull out a gap for the reasons already mentioned above.

Aru never had form to begin with so doesn’t matter.

Soldato
Because I actually know how bike racing works ;). You don't win GTs by going fast downhill otherwise the sprinters would win them, but what do I know sat in my armchair.
Yeah I got that :)
Your comment about solo'ing the final 80k came across like it was some epic wattage bazooka, when in reality 40k of it was probably free wheeling downhill.

Also - I can't imagine sprinters winning mountain descents.

You don't gain form in the last week of a GT you loose it. Look at Yates/Aru - dead. So either Froome was a master tactician or there is something not right - again im just sat in my chair.
Froome is probably rubbish at tactics; that is where the tech heads at Team Sky come in handy :p

Soldato
Gaining time descending requires a huge amount of energy and skill. Being in a bunch descending (aside from the risk of following wheels & crashing) gives a huge draft effect and chance to recover to anyone not doing the work.

Which just makes it even more impressive.

I know because I've both tried it during a crit to shortly be spat out the back :p and also been sat in ;)

Back
Top Bottom