Pro Cycling Discussion 2018

Soldato
OP
San remo where he he outsprinted Sagan....

He's out of the same mould imo. Could turn his hand to anything successfully. Is kind of a shame he doesn't race for himself a bit more often.
Agreed, part of me thinks he was at QS when a little too young, or the training wasn't right for him. He won the worlds, Strade and a couple of TT's but not much else when there? He really seems to have blossomed at Sky! Just hope it continues as he'll be a rider to watch in future as he's only mid-20's I think?

It really is very very soon, hope they've not put too much pressure on him as we all know what generally happens then... To be fair I think BMC are silly to go to the Vuelta and aim the team at supporting him on GC. They should target some early race stage wins and then see how he's riding/feeling and how the GC is looking before making a decision. Keep their options open! They've got Caruso, Tuens and TVG fit and on form.

Lol. Targeting another crash
LOL

Soldato
BMC team going to ride as a team when they are folding & everyone has signed new contracts with other teams?

That would be some doing rather than going all out for stage wins.

Soldato
OP
BMC team going to ride as a team when they are folding & everyone has signed new contracts with other teams?
They've been doing fantastic in Norway. Partly it's a shame to see as if they'd done more last year/earlier this year the team may have continued? Or was it always going to fold without Riis?

Team Sky for the Vuelta
Jonathan Castroviejo
David de la Cruz
Tao Geoghegan Hart
Sergio Henao
Michal Kwiatkowski
Salvatore Puccio
Pavel Sivakov
Dylan van Baarle
Fantastic team, really really interested to see how they ride without Froome/Thomas/Wiggo/Bernal as an obvious leader. Think they'll ride for Kwaito? Quite late in the season for him really. De La Cruz probably. although would be fantastic for Henao or Tao to get a chance as leader, especially what we'd seen earlier in the year from Tao! :)

I see Harry Tanfield has signed for Katusha
Hardly surprising as he'd been riding a Katusha branded Speedmax for most of the year, originally it was because Canyon hadn't got one the right size branded in Canyon-Eisberg colours at the start of the season but when we hit the nationals and he still wasn't riding one I did think it was fairly obvious where he would be heading!

Great news for him and fantastic to see him step up. He's such a talent I'm surprised he wasn't picked up at the end of last year by JLT when they reshuffled or even by Sky. Although the fact he's made it on the track without becoming one of the GB-BC riders did isolate him slightly away from their usual avenue of track->road.

Anyone with much premonition for TOB? Really looking forward to seeing Froome and Thomas ride it, although don't expect much from Sky as they've not done much there the last few years, mostly leaving it to the domestic teams. I think JLT are the team to beat this year, very strong line up.

Last edited:
Soldato
Anyone with much premonition for TOB? Really looking forward to seeing Froome and Thomas ride it, although don't expect much from Sky as they've not done much there the last few years, mostly leaving it to the domestic teams. I think JLT are the team to beat this year, very strong line up.

Looks like 6 sprint stages, an uphill TTT and one hilltop finish. Wouldn't be surprised to see Froome + Thomas getting 1st and 2nd based on the TTT result.

Depends what they've been doing since the tour though. G said recently that he'd put on a lot of weight since then.

Soldato
So far so typically vuelta. Little bit unpredictable and with no huge favourite the race is hugely open. Going to be a great 3 weeks to watch. Always some great scenery to go with the brutality of the climbs!

Soldato
So far so typically vuelta. Little bit unpredictable and with no huge favourite the race is hugely open. Going to be a great 3 weeks to watch. Always some great scenery to go with the brutality of the climbs!

Two winning breakaways in two days - so much more interesting

Soldato
OP
I do wonder if he will ever podium at a Grand Tour, hes got to be one of the only favourites touted to win a GT not to have ever podiumed in one. He hasnt got many more years left to do it in.

I hadn't realised he'd been riding as long as he has, but you're right. To be fair I thought G and Cav had bad luck, when you look at Richie's results table there's an awfully large amount of DNF on there! :o

Soldato
Great stage today. Well last 25k or so! The wind really made that interesting and then fantastic sprint at the end. Vivianis speed was unbelievable but just timed it wrong.

Soldato
Valverde taking it out today, he got boxed on the barriers to start with and I thought he was going to be out of it, but came through and nobody could stay with him. Boss.

Soldato
Liking this tete a tete between mitchelton Scott and movistar. Going to be fun watching the next few days. As long as valverde doesn't get in red.

Good to see a couple of riders/teams you wouldn't normally see in red this vuelta! Great finish today. Shame about the post race crash!

Soldato
Just seen this myself! Hopefully she'll stay positive and put her obvious talent and strength towards a paralympic sport!

Vuelta yesterday was really good for first day in the mountains! Great to see a wildcard win! Really looking forward to seeing Yates v Quintana!

Back
Top Bottom