Problem with booting

Associate
Hi. I built my first PC yesterday (all parts new) and the PC turned on nicely and I set up windows with usb flash driver and all. I updated the bios to the newest one too with flash driver and all was working fine.

All up to this morning. I tried to boot up the PC but nothing shows up on the display and orange light is showing up on MOBO (indicating problem with DRAM based on MOBO's manual).

I have tried
1.) Taking the RAM sticks off and put them back in, tried with only 1 and on different slots, nothing works.
2.) I did change the setting on bios for RAM to D.O.C.P yesterday. So I removed the CMOS battery as read that'd reset the settings. Did not work
3.) I have tried reupdating the bios with flash driver, even a few older version of bios. Didn't work.

Sometimes the PC turns on till the point I get to BIOS but soon after display turns off and the dram lights shows up.

MOBO: Asus rog strix x570-f gaming
CPU: Amd ryzen 7 5800x
GPU: asus dual 3070
SSD: Kingston A2000 1tb
RAM: Crucial 2x 8GB 3600mhz cl16

Last edited:
Soldato
As funny as this sounds, if you remove the cmos battery leave it a good minute or 2 before putting it back in.

If it only started doing it after you switched to your rams overclocking profile then i would say that was the issue. Ram can be finnicky if it goes wrong.

Make sure theres no power going to the board when the cmos battery is out too so unplug the psu and hold down the power button to discharge any remaining power.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I couldn't stay on bios long enough as it always would turn off the display and the dram light would show up on MOBO. I tried to update the bios to older version (some from 2020) but I've now been stuck on "BIOS is updating led firmware" screen for an hour now.

Soldato
Hmmm shouldn't take that long, usually only takes a few minutes at most. If it does take that long, i would consider just shutting it off and trying again, it may bork the board though but if you're stuck you don't really have much of a choice. Do you have a spare board to test?

Soldato
It's highly unlikely that both sticks of ram has died at the same time. I'd say it will be board or bios related still, the only other thing that could affect it is the cpu. Maybe try reseating that and see if that helps?

Associate
OP
I finally got it working, the other ram stick was indeed faulty. I reset the CMOS again and tried with both sticks alone again (which I had already tried) and it started working. Using the second stick alone freezes the PC but other one works as it should.

Thank you all for the help :)

Back
Top Bottom