Problem with internet

Associate
hello everyone, I need some help with internet, so in the main house we have BT router, I live behind the house in studio flat, the problem is, when someone unplugging cables from the router( no idea why) I don’t have internet in my studio flat and I have to go to the main house and connect them to the router again .... it’s possible to change settings or to do something about this ? For example like change settings that internet would be fine for me when cables is not connected . I have router in my studio as well , coming 1 cable from the wall to my router and another one power supply , I reported this problem to agency but they can’t do anything ... people making jokes in the house with cables ...

Soldato
If you're connecting via a cable then it needs to be plugged in. There isn't going to be a setting that'll change that.

There are various devices you can attach to the RJ45 plug that'll make it very difficult to remove. You can also buy cables with locking connectors attached. Finally you can trim down the release tab on the plug so it still locks into the socket but requires some sort of tool to release it.

Soldato
There's a tool you can get for situations like this and luckily enough you can get it just about anywhere and isn't that expensive. Its quite durable and will do the job well for this kind of situation. You can even pick one up in Wilkos. It's called a hammer, so next time it happens pick one up. Take the hammer and take the other residents hands and smash their fingers. They wont be able to unplug anything for a while! And probably will deter them from "having a laugh" again.

Or if that seems abit extreme as it would be my solution for anyone tampering with my internet. Do what others have suggested take the little springy plastic clip off the RJ45 and ethernet cables. Wrap some electrical tape around it so it fits snugly in the router so it makes it almost impossible to take it out with some small flat headed screwdriver.

Back
Top Bottom