• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Problem with my new ATI 1900?

Associate
I have just started building my new computer, and have changed my graphics card to the, . HIS ATI Radeon X1900 XT ICEQ 3 SILENT Heatpipe 512MB GDDR3 AVIVO TV-Out/Dual DVI (PCI-Express). However, when I play Quake 4, the game stuters so much so its unplayable? This is my first ATI card in a few years and I am a bit disapointed.

Mobo lanparty sli expert
mem Geil 1gb
win xp
Tagan TG580-U15 580W ATX2.01 Easycon SLi Compliant Modular Silent PSU
amd 4400 x2 cpu

Anyone with any ideas? please.

Last edited:
Soldato
Is quake 4 the only game exhibiting this problem? What about other games, including 3dmark and the scores you get in them?

I would like to also point out that in quake 4 I get severe stuttering when playing in ultra texture quality due to disk thrashing when a new map is loaded, even though I've been told 512mb cards let you play at ultra quality. Not sure if thats the problem your having, but it makes sense since we both have 1gb system ram. The game runs silky smooth in high quality though.

Soldato
princejim said:
Should not have gone ATI?

It's nothing to do with ATi the card is more than enough to handle quake 4.
I'm sure it's something to do with your system. Did you do a clean install of WinXP? Which driver are you using?? If you have just moved from a Nvidia card make sure you've uninstalled the driver completely by using Driver Cleaner.

Try running other games and benchmarks to make sure card isn't faulty. Also 3dmark scores will help.

princejim said:
I also can only use one of the outputs from the board?

You have to go into Catalyst Control Centre and manually set the display settings to "Clone" or whichever dual monitor mode you want otherwise the second output is disabled by default.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Ok update:
Clean install of win xp, and I have now installed Call of Duty2 which plays ok?
There is nothing else on the computer, just started to build my new system.
Loaded the new drivers from the web 6.9.
I have tried all the help info, on this forum, several times, used driver cleaner pro. Run out of ideas. I have never had this much hassle with Nvidea?

Associate
This new system is it the first time youve used a dual core cpu ? if so have u installed the amd driver for it and microsoft dual core patch ?

Associate
OP
Snoops thanks for that fast reply. However loaded both of those patches but no luck, still stuttering??? The game seems to take forever to load, and when I hit esc to get out of the game it takes a long time to go to the exit page??? This is really begining to bug me. I have built over 1 hundred systems and this is the first time I have this much trouble.

Soldato
Well mate, its something you have done.

Everyone elses system works.

Run 3D Mark 2005 to see what score your getting?

Chipset drivers etc all loaded?

CPU/mem correctly set and running? SiSoft Sandra benchmarks?

Man of Honour
princejim said:
The game seems to take forever to load, and when I hit esc to get out of the game it takes a long time to go to the exit page??? This is really begining to bug me.

Still sounds like a potential memory issue, can you check your peak commit charge in taskmanager->performance please?

Soldato
I have just got a HIS ATI Radeon X1900 XT ICEQ 3 SILENT Heatpipe 512MB GDDR3card oc to the xt-x, and q4 runs fine on my [email protected] with 1gb of ram on high setting in 1280. It hates the highest setting tho, cos it takes about 3mins to load a level and I never bothered seeing how well it ran cos you can just tell, 3mins of loading a level it will run like s*** :D . Somehow I think I need 2gb of men to use the highest setting

Soldato
princejim said:
Ok update:
Clean install of win xp, and I have now installed Call of Duty2 which plays ok?
There is nothing else on the computer, just started to build my new system.
Loaded the new drivers from the web 6.9.
I have tried all the help info, on this forum, several times, used driver cleaner pro. Run out of ideas. I have never had this much hassle with Nvidea?

Sounds like some hardware is clashing together when you run q4. You tried updating q4??

Back
Top Bottom