Professional Scrum dev Certification

Associate
Hi,
Just wondered if any of you here are a Professional Scrum Developer, or as a hiring person would this be something you look for in candidates?

Just looking at some Certifications that I can start to put on my CV to further my career.

Wondered if this is of any use or would something else be more beneficial. I have worked in an agile team before where we used a lot of the SCRUM stuff and I enjoyed it. My current employer is not really an agile team.
However I want to keep my skills up.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance

Soldato
It's not really worth it, it's not something I would lend any weight to on a CV when hiring a developer.

Associate
OP
Thats good to know.

Is there any Certs that would look good. Coding or none coding. Just a bit concerned that I am just coding at the moment.

Soldato
There's no certs for coding that I'd recommend. I did a business-sponsored MCSD.Net about 12 years ago, it was quite expensive but utterly worthless.

Associate
OP
Yeah thats the problem I am finding, that theres no real code certs that are worth anything. Even the M$ stuff from what I understand is not really counted.
Github is difficult as my past two jobs are in private repo's. So the only things I can put out there are side projects.

Thats why I was thinking doing something in other then code, some of the soft skills stuff.

Caporegime
Yeah thats the problem I am finding, that theres no real code certs that are worth anything.

I'm not sure that is a problem, surely it is a benefit as you don't have to waste additional time jump gin through hoops acquiring certificates.

I guess you could pick up some BA or PM certs, but I'm not sure they'd be of much value externally unless you had actual experience to go with them - they might be useful internally, during say an annual review where you start talking about CPD/progression etc.. with your manager and mention that you've studied X and can you arrange at some point in the next year for you to perhaps lead a small project if you want some PM experience or do some requirements gathering/write some specs etc.. if you want some BA experience. Though again you don't necessarily need certificates to do this, if you want additional experience doing those things then just ask for it, it is very unlikely to be seen as a negative if you want to broaden your skills etc..

Unless you've got a very restrictive employment contract you could always update a gihub with personal projects/side projects... there are also competition related sites such as say Kaggle (for data science/machine learning competitions - there are more general ones out there too) - getting high scores there and/or publishing your work on GitHub could certainly be useful, not to mention that sometimes competitors on there are specifically for hiring purposes.

Soldato
Scrum Master certification is mickey mouse garbage ( I have it).

If you're a programmer, GitHub is the way to go. If you want to get ahead, you gotta spend the time.

Associate
Knowledge of iterative software development techniques such as Scrum and an awareness of Agile principles and values will certainly make you more employable particular in any modern business practicing Agile software development. I would certainly favour someone with an Agile background over waterfall. I also favour experience rather than certificates.

Scrum Master and certified Scrum professional (CSP)

Back
Top Bottom