Project GODUS kick starter - Peter Molyneux

Soldato
Something i noticed that RPS story doesnt mention, is that Kickstarter only raised SOME of the funds, they've still sold it on Steam and had those funds. So its not just what they got from KS, its more... and yet not enough.

It does. He's asked why they asked for less money than they knew they needed, only to then need even more money than that anyway.

It's hardly unique that a project has issues of such scale, the only unique thing here is that it was a kickstarted project and that the press has gone after Peter Molyneux like a rabid pack of dogs.

They've gone after him because of the project's failure to deliver. The guy's a veteran of games development and yet seemingly can't manage project properly which results in the entire thing costing more than expected, not delivering what was promised and the entire team forgetting about the guy who 'won'. They've taken people's money for this already, so the least they should get is a bit of hassle from the press and gaming community.

Soldato
They've gone after him because of the project's failure to deliver.
Yet... ;)

The guy's a veteran of games development and yet seemingly can't manage project properly which results in the entire thing costing more than expected, not delivering what was promised and the entire team forgetting about the guy who 'won'. They've taken people's money for this already, so the least they should get is a bit of hassle from the press and gaming community.

So were Romero, Maddox and any number of developers who failed in a similarly spectacular fashion, like I said, the only difference is that it was a kickstarted project and thus people had already given him money. I was under the impression that it was bleeding obvious that you were taking a risk funding anything via kickstarter and that whatever is stated as an aim is subject to change, my bad I suppose, I do keep over estimating the average intelligence of people.

Soldato
the only difference is that it was a kickstarted project and thus people had already given him money.

But it's that one difference that has led to him being rightly interrogated by the press. Nobody would care quite so much if he'd wasted a load of a publisher's time and money on a project that continually went over budget and didn't deliver, but he's used the reputation he has among the more nostalgic gamers to get people to back his project and now he's got them looking at him for answers.

Soldato
But it's that one difference that has led to him being rightly interrogated by the press. Nobody would care quite so much if he'd wasted a load of a publisher's time and money on a project that continually went over budget and didn't deliver, but he's used the reputation he has among the more nostalgic gamers to get people to back his project and now he's got them looking at him for answers.

Yes, you're trying to make an argument out of something I already stated, not quite sure why.

Soldato
Kotaku did a decent summing up piece about this whole affair yesterday(well, most of it anyway).

His responses are sometimes quite strange. He is so shifty. There seem to be people who worked on the game that say he pretty much purposely mislead people from the start.

Don
Yeah can't get it to work either. Sad to see a former great fall so far to be honest.

I couldnt agree more, even though I think that the RPS article was great and asked the questions that needed answering I feel really bad for someone that I consider my childhood hero, someone that I have met and thought was a really nice bloke.

In the end I hope that he learns from this but continues in the industry...

Stelly

Associate
It does. He's asked why they asked for less money than they knew they needed, only to then need even more money than that anyway.

Really? I thought that they were talking about the fact that they asked for a specific amount so they wouldnt need a publisher, and then later on went and got a publisher.

Nothing they covered felt like it addressed the fact that with Kickstarter they exceeding what they suggested was needed to complete the game, and remain independent of a publisher, and yet even after KS they continued to sell the game bringing in even more money, a further excess of funds, essentially profit.

Maybe that wasnt how it was intended to be read, but it wasnt how it came across to me as after a while on that subject it occured to me i'd bought through steam not kickstarter, so the amounts mentioned were just some of the funds available to make the game.

Its a horrible state that the games industry has managed to transform itself into, and collectively we've grumbled while clicking 'buy now' and shooting ourselves in the foot.
We've gone from businesses taking the risk and the reward of making a game, to the gamers taking the risk and the businesses being free doing as they please after having their wages paid for.
We dont do this with films, we dont pay for Avatar 2, watch it in chunks over 18mo, and then after 3yrs and things still dont quite make sense, they say they're done, despite the fact that there isnt any alien species CGI'd into it yet. I know its not a comparative medium, still bloomin annoying though.

Back
Top Bottom