Project Man Cave / Games Room.

Man of Honour
Thought I would start a little thread about my latest little project. First i'll tell you a bit about the house, I bought this house almost 5 years ago now it was originally a detached 4 bed, 2 reception room, 2 bathroom single garage house which was rented out to a 4 separate tenants as a house share for around 10 years prior to me buying it. As it is today It's 3 bedroom, 3 reception rooms so two rooms upstairs have been knocked into one and there has also been an annex extension and the garage lengthened at some time in the past.

I stretched a little bit further than I would have wanted when buying, I then stretched again and upped my payments come remortgage time in an attempt to reduce my term fairly significantly in the first 5 years which to be honest has worked out pretty well financially but to facilitate my retirement plans some things had to slip a little so the budget for fixing the place up and getting it properly liveable had been less than desired. In the first 4 years or so I had a multitude of issues and problems fixing broken things everything from load bearing walls, boilers, electrics, leaky and bodged plumbing, the list goes on.

It's only really now again after a recent lul in house issues that i've started to find the motivation to get up and start sorting the place out again and this time the focus has been my office/man cave. This room is basically a single story extension off of the back of my garage and is around 16 to 17 square meters, it's next to our lounge and is where I go to do any projects, its basically my retreat away from the junk that's on TV.

So this is the room when we moved in:

And its stayed like that up until around two weeks ago when one evening I was in there having a little game and I just couldn't handle it any more and started ripping paper off of walls. Here are a few pics of the journey with this room so far:

And that's really where I am up to right now. I'm currently toying with 2 darkish blue walls, a grey wall and a white wall. Im thinking big shagg pile blue rug, new desk and chair. storage with space to display some hardware, some leggo and all that sorts of stuff. I also got these framed that I got with fallout 4 so they will be going on the wall somewhere:

This thread, I warn you will be a relatively slow burner as progress will pretty much stop for a few weeks while I visit some places in the states, starting with Vegas in a few weeks. Any comments on my poor workmanship, ideas or any other idle chatter is all welcome :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Already a massive transformation with a new floor! Also love them Fallout pictures. Will be keeping an eye on this thread for ideas for my own man cave!

Man of Honour
OP
Anyone else got a weird 'where is my nearest NatWest' link in the OP after all the pics?

Odd this must have found it's way in through my image hosts. Free image hosting for you! I've removed it, thanks for the heads up :) I am having real trouble settling on a desk, I want to go with an L shaped desk in the corner where the PC is now, Perhaps even two of them so two L shaped desks either corner then some kind of shelving unit that joins them. I just don't know, it is so hard to try and pick furniture these days and my tastes and what I will settle for are different to what they used to be, all the desks where I think "yea I like that" are in the 600 to 1k range and still made out of things like laminates. Does the perfect desk even exist?

Man of Honour
OP
Looks good.

Why have you lipped the floor at the door?

Id change the internal door, it looks hideous (although i generally dislike dark/brown woods)

That door, It is hideous! there is a panel of glass missing out of the bottom and also half the door frame was ripped off from evicting an old tennant. That's the story I got at least. I will change it but for now the cats use the missing pane to wonder about freely :)

As for the raised parts by the doors they are actually fairly big blocks of some kind of hard wood that go beneath the wooden under floor. Why they are there? No idea... but without even more work ripping stuff apart they aren't coming out. They don't really annoy me that much and are part of the "charm" of owning a 60's/70's property. I probably will touch the step up some how, sand it down and stain it some sort of satin grey is an option. I dunno but they are a challenge to lay flooring around.

Man of Honour
OP
Seen as I did a little in the office last night I thought I would come in here and share some updates :) First up we have the colour or at least the first colour on a wall

And I think I have also found a desk that I like its pretty big but then the space is a pretty big space, i'm sure i'm safe with a link to an actual desk as I can see ocuk do case desks. If not a mod can remove but Im thinking this in the 1800mm option

https://www.chairoffice.co.uk/mokka-executive-rectangular-desk/

Whatever im pressing go on a desk tonight as if I keep being indecisive ill end up with the desk ive had for the last 20 years.

Edit: I bought the desk, 1800mm wide one, I now need some white furniture to compliment it, I'm thinking storage. Another thing with the desk, i'm thinking of running some LED lighting behind it to give a glow behind the desk, im thinking on some kind of movement sensor or something, I like this idea.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
With the desk and some shelving coming on Tuesday i thought I would do a little bit more, I prepped that back wall and sanded it all down, after laying down some paint the finish was just shocking, the light, colour of paint and whatever else just means that every tiny imperfection on that wall sticks out a mile and given that's where i'm going to be sitting when gaming and working I couldn't deal with it so I sanded it back again twice and painted it again and it still looked shocking. I either had to skim it or throw up some thick lining paper. I chose the easy option and went with the lining paper. 2000 heavy paper and that back wall is looking great now. the fill is where I had a few bubbles so cut sections out with a blade so I could get underneath. Also the seams, I filled them before painting but they were still very slightly visible in places so a tad more, nobody likes seams.

Last picture before the desk, some artwork and some other bits happen on Tuesday. I think I'm settled on some lighting, a floor standing light (you know one of those industrial looking cool ones), storage i'm still not sure what i'm going with but have some ideas for the other end. The sofa is going, some other chairs, beanbags, a new table some rugs and some other bits are being looked at as well. Should be interesting to see how it ends up. I had this idea in my head and it's already not what I was thinking. We shall see.

I also need to think about a chair and stuff what adult looking chairs are actually decent. I don't really want any of these "gaming" chairs so any recommendations?

Last edited:
Associate
Looking good! I just received a refurbed humanscale freedom from corporate spec, made them an offer which was accepted so paid a bit less than what they are up for on eBay and they've done a good job on the refurb!

Man of Honour
OP
Looking good! I just received a refurbed humanscale freedom from corporate spec, made them an offer which was accepted so paid a bit less than what they are up for on eBay and they've done a good job on the refurb!

ohh I like those, I'm not entirely sure what I want yet but they do look comfortable. When did chairs start being 3 and 400 quid though? It's madness. Just been looking at radiator covers and don't think I want to pay for that either :) Do have some pallets in the garden so might make one after the success I had with the pallet bath side panel.

Associate
ohh I like those, I'm not entirely sure what I want yet but they do look comfortable. When did chairs start being 3 and 400 quid though? It's madness. Just been looking at radiator covers and don't think I want to pay for that either :) Do have some pallets in the garden so might make one after the success I had with the pallet bath side panel.

If you think that's a lot look at how much they are new from manufacturer. You can still get cheap chairs, they're just not that great! I'll be expecting this one to last for a good while tbh

Associate
You can get a decent quality second hand Herman Miller Aeron for around £400. I have a Herman Miller Desk and Aeron in my office. Best office chair that I have used. We have Humanscale in our Offices at our factories, but my Aeron beats them hands down imho.

Man of Honour
OP
Love it or hate it this is the sort of look I am going for. Desk is now in :)

Ive cleaned up all those cables underneath and am now starting to sort shelves and artwork. Should look nice. Deciding where to put stuff is the issue.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom