Project: Scorpidian (Corsair Obsidian 800D)

Associate
This is my 3rd build, but my 1st water-cooled build (wish me luck). As I am trying to take as much care with this build as I can afford, I thought I would share my efforts on this forum :).

As for the name, I don't know why I chose it, but it's better than no name at all! I may even purchase a scorpian windows applique, don't know yet!

Please note that I won't finish purchasing my stuff until March~ as I am awaiting the ASUS Rampage 3, Intel i7 930, new range of SSDs, as well as other bits and bobs.

I have hyperlinked the products that are available on OCUK. For those that aren't, well you will just have to use your imagination if you want them i'm afraid :).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SPECIFICATIONS

Current

Case:
Corsair Obsidian 800D

Hardware:
Enermax Revolution85+ 1050W - RMA (2nd time - clicking fan)
LG GH22LS50 22x DVD±RW SATA ReWriter Lightscribe Drive
2TB Samsung Spinpoint F3EcoGreen
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium - Fatal1ty Professional

Watercooling:
Heatkiller CPU Waterblock Revision 3 (Socket LGA1366)
Swiftech MCP655 w/ EK-D5 X-TOP Rev.2
TFC Compression fittings 1/2 ID 3/4 OD (x10)
Bitspower G 1/4" Silver Shiny Temperature Sensor Stop Fitting
XSPC 7/16 UV Clear Blue 1m (x4)
XSPC RX360 Radiator - Black
Bitspower Adapter (Rotary 45 deg.), G1/4" to G1/4" - Silver Shining (x5)
Bitspower G1/4" Silver Shining T-Rotary Adapter
1L Feser One Fluid - UV Purple

Air Cooling:
Enermax TWISTER Everest (x3)
Akasa AK-FN058 Apache Black Super Silent 120mm (x4)
Corsair Stock 140mm fans (x3)
Akasa Fan Guard - 120mm
Sythe 120mm Fan Grill (x4)

Accessories:
Akasa AK-TK-02 Cable Tidy Kit
Zalman ZM-MFC1 Plus Black Multi Fan Controller
AKASA Paxmate Plus - Soundproof mats
Akasa 20/24-Pin 30cm PSU Extension Cable
Scythe Kaze Master Ace 5.25inch Fan Controller - Black
Nexus PCI Slot Ventilation Bracket (3 Pack)
120mm Aluminium Fan Filter - Black (x3)
Pre-Wired 5mm Blue LED
4.8mm Heatshrink 2:1 Ratio - Black (x3)
3mm Cable Braid - Black 1m (x8)
3mm Cable Braid - UV Blue 1m (x8)
4mm Cable Braid - Black 1m
6.4mm Heatshrink 2:1 Ratio - Black
Sharkoon 12" UV CCFL 4in1 Kit.
Sharkoon 4" Blue CCFL 2in1 Kit.
Arctic Cooling MX-3 Thermal Compound

On Order

Nothing.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I will update the specs list when I recieve the things I have ordered or I order something else.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Corsair Obsidian 800D - the case is big, the box is.. bigger! Was a pain to get home lol

sdc10072ui.jpg

The Swiftech MCP655 modified with the EK-D5 X-TOP Rev.2. - I also cable braided the power cable in black, you can just about see the cable - was my very first attempt to cable braid, went pretty good amazingly!

sdc10083j.jpg

sdc10082z.jpg

The bare inside of the 800D, along with all the essentials to start sound proofing: a pair of small, blunt scissors, cello tape, a chipped ruler and a bit of paper! The wine isn't mine, if I used that as well I think it wouldn't have ended very well :)

sdc10058y.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Soundproofing stage, using the AKASA Paxmate Plus kit.

First I started with the plastic covers.

lgim0071n.jpg

Then onto the door of the hot-swappable drive bay.

sdc10071y.jpg

And finally onto the bottom shelf, which took me a very, very long time and LOTS of patiance.

sdc10064.jpg

Apologies for the poor pictures, I will try and get some better ones, this camera is good in light conditions, but dark conditions it isn't so good, it is a phone camera after all so I can't complain! - EDIT - Got a better camera to take the pictures now, I have updated all the pictures too :).

I still have a load of sound proofing material left, but I am going to wait and see until I finish the build to see whether I need it or not, as I had the idea of putting a big sheet on the back plate of the case, but I don't want to risk distrupting the air flow, so we shall wait and see.

Last edited:
Associate
My brother has spent a lot of money on fans in his 800D, started off with enermax apollish, they were thermo controlled and turned into a nightmare, the next he tried enermax cluster, they are ok, but they are louder than he wanted, he has a double radiator at the top. Now he has noctua NFP12 fans, they are quiet and move a lot of air.

Associate
OP
I love these builds and the sound proofing looks mint.

Cheers, took me ages! It really is horrible, horrible stuff to cut when cutting out circles. If you want straight edges it's easy, just use scissors and it cuts like butter. It's when you try to curve the cut, or you simply want to trim away at the edge to make it straight that it becomes a pain. I like it though, adds a bit of detail and seems to brighten the case up a tad. :)

Associate
OP
I’ve ordered a few new things (see list above), and I also received my XSPC RX360 radiator today, pictures below:

It came in a plain white box with a small sticker saying 'XSPC RX360'. I was expecting at least their logo... very strange, still as long as the thing works I couldn't care less! :)

sdc10080f.jpg

A very nice look, not glossy or tacky, but more like a power coat.

sdc10079.jpg

sdc10065bv.jpg

Little confused about the 'brown stuff' in the rad, it is new... so I guess that's just normal?

sdc10078e.jpg

Quite impressed with the quality tbh, although one thing I would point out, it scratches VERY easily. I think they need to find a paint that sticks better, it seems to scratch off far too easily, I will be taking a lot of care with it that's for sure.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Pictures updated :) will get some more tomorrow when hopefully some more stuff will come :) It's my birthday tomorrow too everyone wish me a good one! :D

Associate
OP
man , i love them cages but mega £££ . Nice build

Tbh the hot swappable drive bays are probably something I won't use that much, although it's nice to know it's there when you do need it. As for the cost, yeah I've had to save for quite a long time and also my student finance is paying for a lot of it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom