Project Whurple - White/Purple Watercooled Build - Changes to 3d printer build!!

Man of Honour
I wasn't originally going to do a build log on the machine but it's turned into something that I think some of you might find quite interesting. The build started with me getting some cheap parts together to build something for the wife but I was confined to my hotel room for a day or so on holiday due to some issues with, well, no easy way to say it, my face. You know what it's like, boredom sets in and before you know it you have gone a bit mental but luckily I spent only a small amount in my quest to build the most powerful yet dirt cheap system money can buy. Along the way I reached out to a friend that has shipped me some Chinese mining goodies before and ended up with some surprisingly cheap kit so lets get to it:

Parts List:
  • Case: Corsair 275R Acrylic Version White- £55
  • Motherboard: B450M-HDV - Picked up at a steal, I previously had one laying around that I sold on the members market but managed to source another new one at 20% less than I can find them anywhere else - £42
  • CPU: 2700x - Picked up at a steal from MM - £105
  • Ram: 16GB (2x8) Gloway 3200mhz rbg memory. Yea I know you have never heard of it, me either! If it even works for £35 delivered ill be amazed.
  • Cooling - Full HardLine Byski Kit again from same fella in china at £75 delivered - This is a massive long shot and comprises of the following:
    • Bykski Block
    • 240mm coper rad
    • Byski Pav2 pump
    • A cylinder res
    • 2 rgb Byski fans
    • Fan controller with rgb controller inc motherboard sync cable
    • 6 Petg hard tubes
    • 10 hard tube fittings
    • 2x 90 degree fittings
    • Water flow meter
    • some other fittings and adapters.
Stuff I already have:

• PSU - Either Seasonic Focus Prime 750 Platinum or Kolink Continnum 850 Plat or a ThermalTake 750
  • GPU -
    I have a selection of Radeon GPU's so might start with something like an rx550 4gb (baffin) flashed to 560ish levels or performance with some extra unlocked shaders, compute units etc, or one of my vega cards either a 56 or 64, or another option., if things work at this current price point.. I might buy a new navi 5600 or 5500, not sure yet but to get things going ill be throwing something in there.
Now I am home I have had a look and have decided on what card I am going to use. This is purely for asthetic reasons tbh as I think the 550's will look out of place and not quite deliver enough performance while a vega is overkill. I am going to modify one of my sapphire RX570/580 Nitro cards from one of my miners, The build is white and can vertical mount so some spraying of the shroud/backplate to match the build is the way forward I think and aesthetically they are one of the best looking cards I have available. They are also a decent enough performance level for the rest of the build and what really the machine is likely to do.​
  • Drives: Have some 256 NVME's laying about or perhaps a sata SSD. Got quite a lot of drives so we shall see what we end up throwing in.
Stuff should start arriving this week but what with our COVID-19 friend I expect the bits from China to be somewhat delayed and lets be honest these are the interesting parts of this build.

Total Cost so Far: £312

Pics as stuff comes in TBC....

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
Things for the build started turning up today :) I just took a few photos and right now it is looking very black/silver so think the spray paint will need to come out. Case gets here tomorrow but because I was feeling a little bored I thought I would take some pics of the parts as they come. The next posts will be stripping down the GPU and perhaps the power supply and making them suitably white for the build:

PSU: Kolink Continuum 850w (https://www.overclockers.co.uk/koli...-platinum-modular-power-supply-ca-03a-kk.html)

Originally purchased about a year ago and was running many more GPU's than it will be for this build. Make it white?

GPU: An RX470 4GB Nitro (Went with this card simply for the cards aesthetics and what is possible with the shroud)

Motherboard: Cheapest B450 board money can buy (https://www.overclockers.co.uk/asrock-b450m-hdv-r4.0-socket-am4-ddr4-matx-motherboard-mb-16x-ak.html)

Tomorrow the case gets here and the cpu should get to me by approx Friday and is on its way from Switzerland. After that that wait begins on the other stuff. The memory, I am told by tracking has actually left China 2 days ago on the 9th so that might not take too long to get here but even then the stuff is black and that just will not do so i'll have to test it then break it before buying new white memory from ocuk. The watercooling stuff I literally have no idea, haven't been updated at all with any tracking so that is still a bit of a mystery.

TBC...

Edit: I think the build also needs a better name, I just cant think of a decent one and finding the cheapest/free parts possible and putting it together for minimal outlay was the way it just adopted ghetto without really thinking about it.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
Why dont they make more white GPU's... I like...

Not finished yet there will be purple accents on the card and custom colours on the back plate.

Man of Honour
OP
Thank you very much :)

Would be rude not to at this point :)

A few more updates, the case has turned up:

Now some interesting points of note when considering this case.
  1. Corsair don't think that you should have a top dust filter or cover for this case so if you want the aesthetics to be clean you have to buy this separate and you can (i looked) only source it through Corsair. It also looks cheap at £4.99 then they dump you with a £5 shipping so that £55 case quickly becomes a £65 case.
  2. Corsair got a bit criticised in reviews for the choice of what to use on the side panel, allen key or thumb, gamers nexus point this out quite a lot in their review of the case. Good to note that corsair listened and mine was provided with both.
Some pictures below of what corsair think is a good look for this case without buying extras vs my 460x rgb and also of what they gave me in terms of fastners.

And yes I know my rig needs a clean.. bit dusty in there.

TBC....

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
Im really enjoying the little colour changes on this little card.

Had to stop as ive run out of masking tape. I plan on doing the textured parts of the fan blades purple as well as some purple sections at the top of the card.

Then i think I will just leave it alone. I recon a few purple accents in parts of the case might look pretty good as well.

Man of Honour
OP
More stuff, dug out the SSD im going to use, well I actually found it laying at the bottom of a box in the garage... win! Got the purple cables going on as well..

I did spend a further £26 and another few quid on purple sata3 cables, £2 on a m.2 heatsink. So am creeping close to the £400 budget. I'll have to stop with the nice to have bits soon :(

Things I have ordered but I am still waiting on:

• Ram
  • Water cooling kit, fans, rgb and all that jazz.
  • Nvme cooling
  • Purple sata
  • CPU
  • Corsair case accessories
Im also thinking I might raid a couple of 2.5" 1tb spindal drives to give some additional storage but also for the look.

Man of Honour
OP
Nice cables
No white connectors?

Couldnt find any white ones on the cheap so this is about as good as I could muster. They were only about £18 for the ones you see there. The purple braided sata are coming from china and were £5.50 plus postage so that makes up that 26 quid.

Finding white stuff isnt easy.

Soldato
Couldnt find any white ones on the cheap so this is about as good as I could muster. They were only about £18 for the ones you see there. The purple braided sata are coming from china and were £5.50 plus postage so that makes up that 26 quid.

Finding white stuff isnt easy.
Well for 26 quid can't complain too much no white connectors

Man of Honour
OP
Well for 26 quid can't complain too much no white connectors

The purples aren't a perfect match but then again neither are the whites but this isn't a perfect world and this isn't a perfect build. Just something to play with and pass the time:

I have taken out the stock black corsair fans... they wont fit the build and must be gone. I am not sure how many fans I want in here yet so am going to wait for the water cooling stuff to turn up then I can plan it out a little better.

Man of Honour
OP
Having a look at the pics I realised there was more purple required on some parts of the case:

That is about as far as I can take it now until more stuff turns up.

TBC...

Back
Top Bottom