Project Whurple - White/Purple Watercooled Build - Changes to 3d printer build!!

Man of Honour
OP
Well it's not looking good on the bendy tube thing. Tracking hasn't updated in over a week so we might not get to see it finished this weekend :( - Sad times.

For the LOL's I am going to fill a tube with sealant... Should be interesting!

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
Well given that I have got the bendy thing and once again have ordered the wrong size I thought I may as well post a pic of what I have been doing instead:

Printed a load of printer upgrades and installed them all. Printed a new benchy :)

It's getting better all the time! :D

Man of Honour
OP
Honestly I'm more interested in following the 3D printer saga now! Looking good, second boaty is looking sharp!

Honestly its the most fun ive had in a long time for £75! Endless amounts of upgrades and stuff to make and print! Last night I left it printing these upgraded Z axis mounts which I am going to pop a couple of bearings into to improve that Z axis. I think next I will design my own brace for the central section of the machine which will let me remove the last clamp:

Man of Honour
OP
Well after buying the wrong thing no less than 3 times the 11mm inner diameter bendy thing is here. Updates to come over the next day or two :)

Man of Honour
OP
Right First tube is in. I am having to change the design a little bit as I go to accommodate for the fact that I have no idea what I am doing. Also I know the flow meter is upside down but these are the sacrifices you make when you haven't got a clue. Also doing hardline in this case is a nightmare as the tubes are long and there is nowhere to test fit so what I have done is cut up a wire coat hanger and am bending that into the shape I roughly want and then doing the bends. It's not going to be perfect but I should look pretty good once done.

I promise project Whurple will be up and running this weekend!

Associate
Phwoar! This what I've been waiting for! Particularly like the bend in the cable going to the PSU. It's all happening now!

Also really impressed with the quality of those visors your printed, really good job. :)

Man of Honour
OP
It's not perfect but then it's a £400 build so you take some bits and bobs that don't go right. When I left it tonight this is how it was looking while leak testing.

Ive been upgrading the printer as I go and we are now rocking some pretty nice prints even at lower quality settings. I've been experimenting with different mods. Designing my own stuff in cad and generally keeping busy. Some of my desings I need to 3d print:

Some of the stuff I have designed seems to work great, other stuff not so much so we shall see how these ones pan out.

I have some pretty decent plans in mind so have been collecting parts together so that I can redesign the printer for a bigger build area with minimum outlay, we are talking about 20 quid or so and it will get rid of all of the wood parts of the printer. These are the parts I have collected so far and im waiting on many packages. Some of these are for just straight swap out and redesign of existing parts and some are for the bigger plan.

Last edited:
Soldato
Thanks Vince, you've given me the kick I needed to get my printer back up and running, and get some new prints on the go.

Love the build, turned out great for somebody who doesn't know what he's doing (allegedly). I know you're all plumbed in and running now, but I don't think you need to rebend tubes to get the flow meter oriented correctly. Unless the picture is misleading, those 2 ports are on the same plane, so will still fit: with the label back facing you, rotate the meter 90 degrees anticlockwise, then 180 degrees via the fitting on top.

Now, are you keeping this thread going for the printer odyssey or starting a new log? :p

You definitely need a free-spinning filament guide though, I hate to think how much drag is on the filament as it comes up from the spool, over the top gantry and sharply down into the extruder.

Back
Top Bottom