Projector vs large TV - Bang for buck

Associate
OP
Im back guys!! Sorry for the late reply.

So iv decided to go for a 92" fixed screen and best projector I can get for £650 max.

Screen - These seem to range from £280 to about £800 based on brand!?

Projector - The Epson EH-TW5350 as xs2man said won an award for best projector under £1000. What is the consensus on the forums? Do you guys agree? The Optima HD28DSE is currently on offer, reduced from £700 to £600 making it same price as the Epsom. Is that better?

Any thoughts?

Soldato
The Epson won the best projector under £1k, so that suggests that What HiFi though it was better than the Optoma, as it was also under £1k. But you never know, it could be close between them. Have you viewed projectors before? Other than the cinema, or in offices / school / uni? The Epson is LCD, where the Optoma is DLP.

Now, I have no particular problem with either technology (I believe my Sony uses some hybrid of both). But some people are sensitive to "The Rainbow Effect" (RBE) with DLP projectors. I am, to a small degree, but I quickly got used to it with my Optoma HD65. Basically, I occasionally saw "flashes" of colours, like a rainbow, in the picture. For me it was quite rare, but for some it can easily be enough to mean that particular display technology isn't for them at all. For me it was most prominent with fast moving images, or when I had to move my head left to right or vice versa.

So, with that in mind, it REALLY does make sense to demo the Optoma, at least, before considering buying it. And best to take anyone who might regularly watch it with you (wife, kids etc). And try to get a demo of the Epson at the same time. Richer Sounds should be able to help here, or maybe some local hifi dealer might be able to help.

Personally, I'd just take the chance on the Epson, as it won the award, doesn't come with the potential for RBE, for either you, your family, or any guests that may visit, and it's in budget. But I did really enjoy my Optoma when I had it, and I kept it for 5+ years, despite only being a 720p projector at around £400, so was a proper budget offering. The picture was great to my eyes, at that time.

Is 92" all you can manage? I'm projecting a 120" picture straight onto a magnolia wall (complete with the kids felt-tip pen lines along the bottom). And it's great. A HUGE picture, and makes all the difference. I wouldn't worry about the screen, at least to start with, unless your planning to wall mount a TV behind it. Just paint the wall a decent colour for it, and project straight onto there. I do have the ingredients for the "projector paint" recipe I got on AVForums.

It's basically this:

4 parts (960ml) of “Johnstone's Covaplus Vinyl Matt Finish” tinted (NCS color code: S 0907 Y70R) paint from Johnstone's or Leyland Trade.
1 part (240ml) of “Auto-Air Aluminium Base Fine” (code: 4101) paint from Createx Auto Air Colors. (AAA)

The Covaplus Vinyl Matt I found a bit difficult to find, but can be substituted with any of:

Grey Steel1 00NN 31/000 ( it is the darkest one )
Grey Steel2 00NN 53/000 ( RGB(184,184,182) - N7.8 )
Grey Steel3 00NN 72/000 ( RGB(219,220,219) - N8.8 )
Grey Steel4 00NN 83/000 ( it is the lightest one - N9.3 )

The darker one gives better black levels, but at the expense of greyer whites. The lighter one better whites at the expense of darks. I think I went for equal mixes of Grey Steel 2 and 3 in the end personally, as I figured blacks were more important for my viewing material, but didn't want to compromise the whites too much. I made this decision at a time when photobucket actually worked, and the avforums thread was full of working pictures with all the different shades.

Soldato
Sorry to hijack but I'm thinking of getting a PJ but have a question about placement and noise. I have a bay window which is where the sofa is placed. I'd need to put the PJ directly above the sofa to project onto the opposite wall. Do PJs make a noise? Like fan noise? And I noted someone mentioned heat? Just concerned placement would spoil the use of the PJ.

Man of Honour
A lot of projectors aren't particularly quiet - my main one in eco mode is pretty reasonable but normal mode never mind bright is noticeable though TBH I mostly stop noticing it once I start watching something.

(I actually find eco mode more then good enough with my projector in a dark room - only need higher output levels if there is any light in the room and/or daylight).

Last edited:
Soldato
Sorry to hijack but I'm thinking of getting a PJ but have a question about placement and noise. I have a bay window which is where the sofa is placed. I'd need to put the PJ directly above the sofa to project onto the opposite wall. Do PJs make a noise? Like fan noise? And I noted someone mentioned heat? Just concerned placement would spoil the use of the PJ.

Yes they make a noise, mine is cancelled our by a large 5.1 speaker setup.

Associate
OP
My father is keen on having a fixed screen as the builders can put it up now while building the house.

He feels a bare wall may look a bit naff when the projectors off. Especially as under it will be a large cabinet with sky box etc etc. It will almost look like someone's run off with the tv lol

Also, so many people have screens rather than projecting directly on to the wall. Surly picture quality must be better with a screen else why would anyone ever bother??

They range from £280-£800 for fixed 92'' screens. Perhaps the cheap one will do the job just fine then if you guys think screen is not even needed!?

Can't go bigger than 92'' that's all the wall I got :(

Soldato
No idea what you mean here ?

He means you have to consider lights hanging from the ceiling getting in the way of the projection path. You don't want a bit light shadow in the middle of your screen. That is something I have to fix, as I just took the lights right out of my cinema room, and just put in table lamps.

My father is keen on having a fixed screen as the builders can put it up now while building the house.

He feels a bare wall may look a bit naff when the projectors off. Especially as under it will be a large cabinet with sky box etc etc. It will almost look like someone's run off with the tv lol

Also, so many people have screens rather than projecting directly on to the wall. Surly picture quality must be better with a screen else why would anyone ever bother??

They range from £280-£800 for fixed 92'' screens. Perhaps the cheap one will do the job just fine then if you guys think screen is not even needed!?

Can't go bigger than 92'' that's all the wall I got :(

I'm sure the picture will be better with a proper screen. I'm not sure how much better though than a "cheap" screen. As for doing it now while the builders are there, it's not something that really requires builders to put up for you. You could make your own though. Get a sheet of MDF or acrylic or something, and use the projector paint I mentioned earlier (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Widow_(paint_mix)#Black_Widow_EU). I doubt it would be much worse than a cheap screen for sure, and wouldn't be overly expensive. You could even put in some border of a black, velvet like material, to finish the screen properly. That can look great.

Or, get some blackout cloth:

What are you doing about sound though? Do you have the room for speakers to flank the screen? Or would you need an acoustically transparent screen with the speakers behind it? That would obviously give the "cleanest" look, but can be quite expensive. At least your screen size wont be too large though.

Last edited:
Soldato
External sound is also an absolute must so speakers near the screen. Projector built in speakers are rubbish and it also sounds of with picture and sound at opposite sides of the room

Man of Honour
As long as the surface is properly flat and free of surface warp/distortion and not a silly colour it will be as good as a cheap screen.

Associate
That depends how many pixels does it display per refresh cycle. 4k is made of up 8million individual pixels. The fake 4k projectors only display around 6 million pixels and the missing 2million pixels mean they do not look as good as the native 4k projectors. I am not sure how many the JVC X9500 displays.

The Optima UHD65 displays the full 8 million individual pixels per refresh cycle so from a pixel point of view looks as good as the real five figure £££ 4K projectors.

The end result is it looks the same as a native 4k with the same amount of full 8 million individual pixels per refresh cycle displayed. It’s not a native mirror but it doesn’t matter when the results are as good as they are. Its not the same as the fake 4k projectors that have millions of missing pixels not being displayed.

Any which way you want to cut it... its not a native 4k projector.

Early DLP rear projection TV's used the same trick and had a resolution of 520 x 960 and flashed twice

Interlaced HD video and 1080i TV's also had half the resolution on screen alternated the lines to create the full HD image.

Many people wouldn't notice the difference - but its still and inferior image just because 'you' dont notice the difference.

Very few people have the projection screen large enough and sit close enough to that image to appreciate the added pixel information a 4k image can provide - so 'if' all things where equal you could also argue that the JVC's and the Epsons are providing 4k that is good enough for most people not to notice...

The thing is all things are not equal ; The JVCs, Epsons and Sony's have Wide colour gamut (the Optoma lacks this feature entirely) They all have superior blacks - particularly the JVCs, they all have a superior implementation of HDR and none of them suffer from the rainbow effect which is an inherent flaw in DLP technology.

All of these things are likely to be noticed by people.

Man of Honour
Interlaced HD video and 1080i TV's also had half the resolution on screen alternated the lines to create the full HD image.

The method Optoma are using is nothing like interlacing mind - people seem to be missing the implications of "produces independent single-pixel structures".

Back
Top Bottom