1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Promotional Xbox Live Points

Discussion in 'Console Games & Hardware' started by Zico, Jun 26, 2008.

1. Zico

Mobster

This is an informational post for Xbox 360 users and NOT a post for PSN people to shout in. All posts of a fan boy nature will be reported to the Mod's to be removed!

On reading the thread about the release of the 360 DRM tool, I logged into my Xbox.com account online to take a look around. From there I browsed my Microsoft billing account (keeps records of all Xbox Live purchases etc. - https://billing.microsoft.com/home.aspx) and discovered I had 500 Xbox Live points about to expire.

Those of us who pre-ordered GTA IV from certain retailers were given a bonus of either 500 or 1000 points (depending on the retailer). These promotional points will expire 30 days from the date of being claimed.

If you haven't registered your GTA promotional points then I would hazard a guess that they won't start counting down until you do. If you have registered the points and haven't spent them then check your billing account now to find out https://billing.microsoft.com/home.aspx

**Edit**
    From the Billing FAQ Re points:

Q - When do my Microsoft Points expire?

A - Purchased points don't expire. Any points you get through promotions can have expiration dates. Typically, points expire within thirty days of the date you get them. To view any points in your account that have expiration dates, go to the Billing and Account Management page, sign in with your Windows Live ID, and then click Microsoft Points under Stored Credits. If you have points that are expiring in the next thirty days, you can click View expiring points to view the points and their expiration dates.

Note

You can only see points that are expiring in the next 30 days.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2008
  2. TheStig1

PermaBanned

thats a bit sneaky
    i spent mine already however but good warning for others

3. Tobes

Soldato

That's really annoying. I assumed the points were to go towards the DLC which isn't going to come out for a long time....

sigh. Luckily I haven't added them yet.

4. Paranoid_Robot

Hitman

When I had my points refunded on my old Xbox 360 that was replaced they expired after about a year when they told me on the phone it would be about 6 months. Didn't get any with GTA though.

5. PyroboyUK

Wise Guy

Thanks for the heads up im trying to spend my points now, just cant think what to get.

6. Zico

Mobster

I take it you've registered yours then? Check the billing site and it will give you the date at which they are due to expire.

I registered my 500 on 4th May and they are due to expire 30th June.

My current points total is 1580 but if I were to buy something now would the value come out of the 500 bonus points or the 1080 purchased points?!? I will only ever find out by buying something and waiting until July.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2008
  7. PyroboyUK

Wise Guy

I registered mine on the 4th or 5th i think, i was going to save them (no idea what for:D), cant really find anything i would want to get. Thinking of a good arcade game maybe. I got 590 points atm.

8. Hilly

Don

I spent mine on rockband DLC already :D

9. Zico

Mobster

Buy me Rockband and I might do the same. I'm going to have to decide before Monday as to what I am going to do with mine.

10. NorthstaNder

Mobster

Gah...mine expire in 2 days!

Trouble is, there is bugger all I want to spend them on. At least they didn't cost anything.

11. sparkymark75

Wise Guy

Just realised this also because of the exact same thing. I just bought Worms, was the only thing I could think of.

12. SiD the Turtle

Sgarrista

Thanks for the heads up. I'm not quite sure if my points expired or I spent them in time as I added them pretty much when GTA4 arrived. The figures in billing don't add up as they don't go back far enough.

13. roboffer

Sgarrista

How pants is that, 400 expire on 30/06/2008. Will have to go spend them now!

Thanks for the heads up, Id never have known otherwise.

14. spaceman

Mobster

thanks for the heads up mate!

i've also got 500 to spend in the next 2 days...nothing i want to buy either...

15. SiD the Turtle

Sgarrista

There is a bit of good news in the FAQ:

How do I use my expiring Microsoft Points first?
    Promotional points with expiration dates are automatically redeemed first before purchased points.

16. Marky

Capodecina

Whoa thanks for letting me know!! I just checked and my free 500 points expire on Monday!!

17. cheets64

PermaBanned

Greasy ****

Got 720 what can I get??

18. SiD the Turtle

Sgarrista

Guitar Hero/Rock Band DLC? Arcade games?

19. benji182

Wise Guy

mine expire tomorrow but my 360 got RROD and so i'm stuffed! its with UPS so not like i can do anything

anyway of righting this ?

20. Zico

Mobster

Try calling the 0800 support number and see if you can get them re-credited OR recover you gamertag to a friend's 360 and purchase something on there box (note that any purchase will then be tied to the other 360 unless you do the DRM Licence transfer).

Last edited: Jun 29, 2008