Proof Read My Cover Letter please

Soldato
Dear Employer,

I saw your job advert for web developer in [city] and realised I would be perfect for the role. I am a web developer by trade and have a portfolio of websites for you to look at. I am also an expert at Search Engine Optimization (SEO) which is a rare skill as you may know and even though many people know the basics, there is a lot of knowledge to learn for powerful internet marketing techniques which I am happy to share with your company.

Here is my web design service site with my portfolio which makes good use of MySQL, Apache, HTML, CSS, PHP, Flash and Javascript. I have my contact number in the top right corner so you can verify it as my site-
http://www.x.com/

For a more extensive example of where I have used Javascript I have this site-

The Javascript can be found here, http://www.x.com/x.js.

All of my websites are fully self coded and have not used any content management systems or templates. I also know how to design and code animated content in Flash.

I am competent with Photoshop as I use it for logos and template design. I can't say I've used Indesign before but from looking at it I can see it's just a fancy version of Photoshop with added support for document templates so should not be difficult to pickup.

My SEO skills didn't reach their full potential until the last few months so I can't give as good examples as I would like to, but here is my original lyrics website (if you'll excuse the bad design) which gets 800-900 visitors/ day consistently.
http://www.x.net/

I also like to think I am very good at systemising and strategising as these are the interests which originally got me into doing SEO and online marketing. To top it off my English language skills should be more than adequate to provide a high quality level of content for web pages.

I hope your company will give me the oppurtunity to join your successful team and prove my skills and teamworking ability.

Yours Sincerely,

[name]

----

I realise there are probably a hundred mistakes and I mentioned I have good English skills (which is generally true of spelling but I suck at grammar). I'm not too good at knowing when I'm allowed an s instead of a z as I tend to prefer using s so may be some spelling mistakes too, and any other things which seem strange feel free to point out. Thanks.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'd say that's far too colloquial for a job application.

I can't say I've used Indesign before but from looking at it I can see it's just a fancy version of Photoshop with added support for document templates

If I were an employer and I read that, your application would be going straight in the bin. I reckon you need to make it a bit more formal, to show that you're taking the job seriously!

Associate
Don't put that you are "perfect" for a role. Even if you beleive you are perfect the employer maybe isntantly try looking for faults. Put something like, you believe you are a strong candidate for the role or something similar.

Soldato
OP
I'd say that's far too colloquial for a job application.

If I were an employer and I read that, your application would be going straight in the bin. I reckon you need to make it a bit more formal, to show that you're taking the job seriously!

Too colloquial? I'm not talking to the Queen :p I'm sure he/she will appreciate my honesty and down to earth attitude :)

healy97 thanks for the comment regarding my use of perfect, I agree with you it sounds a little arrogant and may make him/her dislike me.

Soldato
"I can't say I've used Indesign before but from looking at it I can see it's just a fancy version of Photoshop with added support for document templates"

Not only does that sound awful its not even right. Its nothing like Photoshop.

Also:

"To top it off my English language skills should be more than adequate to provide a high quality level of content for web pages."

If you want to highlight your English language skills you'd be better off having a cover letter that proves it, at the moment it doesn't read very well at all.

Last edited:
Soldato
Dear Sir,

In reference to you recent job vacancy advert in XXX dated XXXX I would like to be considered for the role.
I am currently employed as a web developer and have included links to several examples from my portfolio of websites for your perusal.

In addition to web development I am also competent at search engine optimization (SEO) and feel that this is a skill in high demand and will be of benefit to the role within your company. I have considerable skill in systemising and strategising and these are areas of interest to me and which also originally introduced me to SEO and online marketing. I am able to work unaided and can provide written web page content to a competent English language level.

Whilst I have no experience with Indesign , I have extensive knowledge of Photoshop which in principle looks to have a similar GUI and features and is a software package I am proficient at.

I hope your company will give me the opportunity to join your successful team and prove my skills and team working ability.

Yours Sincerely,

Would be how I would do it, just stick your links and brief description of what they should expect when clicking on them either before the last paragraph or as an reference supplement.

Last edited:
Soldato
Dear Employer,

I saw your job advert for web developer in [city] and realised I would be perfect for the role. I am a web developer by trade and have a portfolio of websites for you to look at. I am also an expert at Search Engine Optimization (SEO) which is a rare skill as you may know and even though many people know the basics, there is a lot of knowledge to learn for powerful internet marketing techniques which I am happy to share with your company.

Here is my web design service site with my portfolio which makes good use of MySQL, Apache, HTML, CSS, PHP, Flash and Javascript. I have my contact number in the top right corner so you can verify it as my site-

For a more extensive example of where I have used Javascript I have this site-

The Javascript can be found here, http://www.x.com/x.js.

All of my websites are fully self coded and have not used any content management systems or templates. I also know how to design and code animated content in Flash.

I am competent with Photoshop as I use it for logos and template design. I can't say I've used Indesign before but from looking at it I can see it's just a fancy version of Photoshop with added support for document templates so should not be difficult to pickup.

My SEO skills didn't reach their full potential until the last few months so I can't give as good examples as I would like to, but here is my original lyrics website (if you'll excuse the bad design) which gets 800-900 visitors/ day consistently.
http://www.x.net/

I also like to think I am very good at systemising and strategising as these are the interests which originally got me into doing SEO and online marketing. To top it off my English language skills should be more than adequate to provide a high quality level of content for web pages.

I hope your company will give me the opportunity to join your successful team and prove my skills and teamworking ability.

Yours Sincerely,

[name]

----

For a start, thought you were good at spelling? :)

Soldato
I can't say I've used Indesign before but from looking at it I can see it's just a fancy version of Photoshop with added support for document templates so should not be difficult to pickup.

Do NOT write this or even think it, it shows that you know absolutely nothing about either Photoshop or Indesign. Indesign is a layout programme and whilst it shares similarities with PS they are very different programmes with very different uses.

Soldato
Do NOT write this or even think it, it shows that you know absolutely nothing about either Photoshop or Indesign. Indesign is a layout programme and whilst it shares similarities with PS they are very different programmes with very different uses.

in that case my edited version would need some editing as I have no idea about the sw in question

Soldato
HAHAHAHAHA

Why one EARTH did you post a covering letter for us to look at AFTER you sent it?

LOL!!

fail_sign_02.jpg

Soldato
OP
Well I sent it after the first few replies, after all those people checked it without noticing the spelling error I assumed it was ok to send. Then just after I sent it someone pointed out the error, oh well. I fail at life, I know.

Back
Top Bottom