Prospect of a new job (also relocating)

Associate
Currently getting a little bored and fed up where i work so i have been looking around to see what else is on offer in the telecoms engineering world, and theres quite a few jobs about. So being a bit curious i got my CV to an engineering agency and things seem to be going rather well, couple of interviews and the like. Things are starting to pick up pace as i have had a verbal offer, but it finally hit me quite hard today about the whole new job and relocating thing.

Anyway my question is too anyone who has taken the jump from the comfort zone into new employment and especially relocating, is it as scary as it seems? are you glad you took the jump? any advice?

Soldato
Jimmi said:
Currently getting a little bored and fed up where i work so i have been looking around to see what else is on offer in the telecoms engineering world, and theres quite a few jobs about. So being a bit curious i got my CV to an engineering agency and things seem to be going rather well, couple of interviews and the like. Things are starting to pick up pace as i have had a verbal offer, but it finally hit me quite hard today about the whole new job and relocating thing.

Anyway my question is too anyone who has taken the jump from the comfort zone into new employment and especially relocating, is it as scary as it seems? are you glad you took the jump? any advice?

I've relocated from abroad (No, I'm British, so chill out everyone :D ) to take up a job in London. Worst thing I've ever done (quality of life sucks) and best thing I've ever done (money is great, so im saving to leave again).

As long as the job is good and you get to live in a good area, it should be an interesting experience for you. Good luck! :)

Associate
OP
Currently live up near milton keynes

and the jobs i have been looking at are in London

Being 22 i have a massive itch to go and live the big city life style, i tend to end up in london a lot as it is shopping and for nights out.

Caporegime
Jimmi said:

yes its scary, especially if you have a wife and a baby and are moving to an area a long way away from home, friends and family.

yes it was worth it, but then i did it for the right job.

Man of Honour
As you are young and (presumably?) don't have any family commitments, now could be a great time to strike.

I keep an eye on the job market and in some ways wish it would be easier for me to relocate (we bought a house in the summer and my gf's line of work is relatively restrictive). I recently saw what would almost be the perfect job for me based on my experience and interests, and it even (allegedly) offered help with relocation. If I was single I'd definitely be going for it...

The way the labour market is these days I think you have to accept the fact that very few people will have long careers with the same company lasting for decades. Changing job is part of parcel of most people's lives, and flexibility on location can help you a lot in terms of finding the right opportunity.

After graduating I went back to live with my dad for 5 years and in some ways I regret that, the job market was pretty poor in that town with crap wages to boot.

Back
Top Bottom