Protein Help

Sam

Sam

Soldato
Hi

Im currently training 5 days a week and have recently finished a course of protein shakes that i was given by a friend. Im looking to buy another tub and wondered what people thought was the best quality protein whey ? Also i sometimes struggle after work with energy, whats the best thing to take before i hit the gym to try and give me a decent boost, creatine ?

Cheers

Man of Honour
Personally I just buy unflavoured from one of the bulk suppliers such as MyProtein, http://www.myprotein.co.uk/bulk-supplies/unflavoured-protein/impact-whey-protein-(unflavoured)/ thats the stuff I use cheap tastes fine and not full of crap.
MP32093 will also give you 5% off your first order if you decide to go with MP.
You could try caffine tabs but I wouldnt want to be popping one of them every time I headed to the gym, maybe try a banana 30mins before just to give you a bit of an energy kick.
Creatine will have no effect on energy levels as such it just gives you that little bit more to maybe get 1 or 2 more reps out at the end of a set.

Soldato
Try some superpump 250 (a nitric oxide powder/drink) 30 minutes before your session. It won't necessarily give you more energy but when your veins are popping out of your arms it can give you a bit more stimulation :)

I recently tried some nitric oxides tablets but they're crap in comparison.

Soldato
If you're struggling with energy, chances are you aren't eating regularly enough with a good balance of low GI carbs and proteins. Either that or you aren't hydrating properly, or getting enough sleep.

Shakes are a suppliment that allow you to conveniently add some extra protein to your diet, nothing more.

If you're struggling with energy, cns stimulants like caffeine can be quite effective. Try having a cup of coffee and a peice of fruit.

Ant :cool:

Man of Honour
If you're struggling with energy, chances are you aren't eating regularly enough with a good balance of low GI carbs and proteins. Either that or you aren't hydrating properly, or getting enough sleep.

Shakes are a suppliment that allow you to conveniently add some extra protein to your diet, nothing more.

If you're struggling with energy, cns stimulants like caffeine can be quite effective. Try having a cup of coffee and a peice of fruit.

Great minds :cool: (though your answer was a bit more verbose :p). :)

Sam

Sam

Soldato
OP
How's your diet? Why do you feel you need extra protein?

As for energy before the gym, a cup of coffee and a banana will do you fine.

My diet isnt the best, i dont find it that easy to regulate what i eat as food is cooked for me and my mother isnt going to start cooking me individual meals :p but tips are appreciated

This is why i think its important to make sure im having enough protein. The energy thing before the gym is most probably down to my diet as well but as from next week im going to try the cup of coffee and banana :)

Also i dont need to put on any weight, i am slim but am far from stick thin

Sam

Sam

Soldato
OP
How's your diet? Why do you feel you need extra protein?

As for energy before the gym, a cup of coffee and a banana will do you fine.

Personally I just buy unflavoured from one of the bulk suppliers such as MyProtein, http://www.myprotein.co.uk/bulk-supplies/unflavoured-protein/impact-whey-protein-(unflavoured)/ thats the stuff I use cheap tastes fine and not full of crap.
MP32093 will also give you 5% off your first order if you decide to go with MP.
You could try caffine tabs but I wouldnt want to be popping one of them every time I headed to the gym, maybe try a banana 30mins before just to give you a bit of an energy kick.
Creatine will have no effect on energy levels as such it just gives you that little bit more to maybe get 1 or 2 more reps out at the end of a set.

Would everyone agree that the cheaper protein is OK ? Ive allways been under the impression that cheap protein is full of crap and not really that great for you ?

Soldato
My diet isnt the best, i dont find it that easy to regulate what i eat as food is cooked for me and my mother isnt going to start cooking me individual meals :p but tips are appreciated

This is why i think its important to make sure im having enough protein. The energy thing before the gym is most probably down to my diet as well but as from next week im going to try the cup of coffee and banana :)

Also i dont need to put on any weight, i am slim but am far from stick thin

Why not take the opportunity to start doing some of your own shopping and learning how to cook? Better use of your money than protein powder, imo.

Caporegime
There isn't really cheap whey, its all much the same, just certain companies charge you twice as much for protein that sits in smaller tubs and probably has sat around in warehouses much longer ;)

My protein, or the other couple uk bulk suppliers have as good if not better quality protein than the guys who charge you twice the prices for half as much.

But if you don't want to gain weight, well, eating extra food isn't really the way to go about that.

What are your goals at the gym, if fitness rather than strength, then some protein will help keep you up to scratch, repair damages and stay healthy. I wouldn't recommend trying to get fit while not eating well at all. But if you aren't trying to put on any significant amount of muscle, then that will change just how much protein you really need to have pretty drastically, protein for repair, and protein for sustained growth all over will be pretty far apart tbh.

Man of Honour
Personally, I'd get stuck into the kitchen and help your mother and/or do your own thing. The fact you have your meals prepared says to me you're still young, ergo, you shouldn't really have any need for protein shakes, just start eating properly first. Protein shakes are a supplement, to ADD to your diet if your diet is DEFFICIENT. And it's perfectly acceptable, a lot of people put the effort in but it's SO convenient taking a shake that a lot of people rely on them, and that's fine, but at least give your diet a chance first. Getting your nutrients from whole foods is so much better - and tastes nicer and is more enjoyable to consume.

Sam

Sam

Soldato
OP
There isn't really cheap whey, its all much the same, just certain companies charge you twice as much for protein that sits in smaller tubs and probably has sat around in warehouses much longer ;)

My protein, or the other couple uk bulk suppliers have as good if not better quality protein than the guys who charge you twice the prices for half as much.

But if you don't want to gain weight, well, eating extra food isn't really the way to go about that.

What are your goals at the gym, if fitness rather than strength, then some protein will help keep you up to scratch, repair damages and stay healthy. I wouldn't recommend trying to get fit while not eating well at all. But if you aren't trying to put on any significant amount of muscle, then that will change just how much protein you really need to have pretty drastically, protein for repair, and protein for sustained growth all over will be pretty far apart tbh.

My Goals are to get stronger and to build and get bigger. I dont do any cardio at the moment so fitness isnt a current goal

Personally, I'd get stuck into the kitchen and help your mother and/or do your own thing. The fact you have your meals prepared says to me you're still young, ergo, you shouldn't really have any need for protein shakes, just start eating properly first. Protein shakes are a supplement, to ADD to your diet if your diet is DEFFICIENT. And it's perfectly acceptable, a lot of people put the effort in but it's SO convenient taking a shake that a lot of people rely on them, and that's fine, but at least give your diet a chance first. Getting your nutrients from whole foods is so much better - and tastes nicer and is more enjoyable to consume.

This is very true and your right but late finish's at work etc makes it difficult. BUT this is no excuse... Do you have any links or advice to the correct foods to eat etc, i know some very basic info but it would be good to see what kind of meals i should be having after the gym each evening.

Soldato
I know it isn't strictly just a Protein powder but I have been using MP Hurricane XS for a while with really good results :-

http://www.myprotein.co.uk/formulas/mp-formulas/hurricane-xs-(2500g)/

Recommended stuff. Very similar to Maximuscle Cyclone but way less expensive. :cool:

That said, you have to match your nutritional needs up with your exercise program. I do a huge amount of cardio ( I cycle to work most days which is a 36 mile round trip ) as well as a strength and endurance routine in the gym 4 times a week, every week, so I haven't noticed any undue weight gain with Hurricane XS as some other folks have.

Last edited:

Sam

Sam

Soldato
OP
I tried the bananna / coffe trick last night and it worked a treat thank you :)

Tom E - That non flavoured protein you suggeted, does it taste like crap ? do you mix it with anything ?

Man of Honour
I tried the bananna / coffe trick last night and it worked a treat thank you :)

Tom E - That non flavoured protein you suggeted, does it taste like crap ? do you mix it with anything ?

personally I think it tastes fine just stick it in some water and get it down you, its a bit like watery milk but if you dont like the flavour you can always add a bit of milkshake powder.

Soldato
Great minds :cool: (though your answer was a bit more verbose :p). :)

That old chestnut ;) What you mean is I rabbit on, using ten words when five will do :p

Couldn't agree more. Can't even add any unnescessary words :eek::p

Back
Top Bottom