PS3 1Gen V PS3 Latest Gen

Soldato
I have a query with the sound processing hardware of both PS3 and the new PS3 Slim.

Checking on Wiki not enough information is provided so i thought i'll ask here.

Does the 1st Generation PS3 come with the standard of HD sound i.e. True HD/DTS etc that comes with the new Slim PS3?

Thanks

Soldato
http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18009071

Google tells me

The hdmi chip on the PS3 cannot bitstream the new high def codecs like TrueHD and DTS-HD/MA. You have to have to PS3 decode it internally and while it still cannot do DTS-HD/MA a firmware update for it is coming. So for right now you can enjoy TrueHD and Uncompressed PCM with your PS3 by setting it to LPCM. So if you were wanting for the TrueHD or DTS-HD light on your receiver to light up, sorry to say it will never happen as long as you have the PS3.

Soldato
I was wondering why my reciever just says dolby pro-logic when my PS3 says it is outputting in TrueHD,

I wonder if it actually sounds any better on the slim

Soldato
OP
Soldato
Thanks for this. Clears up a few things. my uncle wanted to know about this. But before he goes out and spend money on a new Slim PS3 (nothing wrong with his old PS3) are Sony planning to impliment the TrueHD and other bits and bobs that exist on the new Slim PS3 onto the original PS3?

It cant be done by firmware , the Slim has a new HDMI chip that allows it to bitstream.

Soldato
You'll still be getting TrueHD and DTS-HD on the phat PS3 but it's converted and sent as PCM first as opposed to the Slim which will send the signal untouched and then it's decoded by the reciever (hense why your reciever's lights will come on). TBH I can't imagine the differences between the two being that noticable as it's still the same format (unless you have alien hearing or are a What HiFi reviewer. ;))

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom