PS3, how to connect to vga?

Soldato
Bought myself a 60gig ps3 from the states ($650inc taxes), picked up a component cable aswell but i would prefer to play it through my monitor. Now i have seen a component to vga cable for under £10 but i assume this won't work?

a componenet to vga box is about £40, don't mind paying but ithe the simple £10 cable will do the job i'll get that

Soldato
OP
needs to be vga really

what i ahve seen is this box
image3451.jpg

or will just a cable like this do? (m/f may be wrong)

DSCN3286.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
after reading around abit, as i thought the cable won't work its for devies that output Y/Cr/Cb of 15pin sockets. Looks like i will have to fork out for the box if i want to do it

Man of Honour
Tony Williams said:
I heard bad stories about PS3 > VGA. Since VGA carries less bandwidth that may be a problem.

Never tired so don't quote me on that.
It's not bandwidth that's an issue. VGA does 1920*1080 easily.

Soldato
Kreeeee said:
It's not bandwidth that's an issue. VGA does 1920*1080 easily.

IIRC there is a bandwidth issue converting from HDMI to VGA in general. As HDMI also carries the Audio too, it can cause issues.
I thought one of the reasons for HDMI was for the increased bandwidth? though i may be wrong.

Soldato
So when I get my PS3 I'm not going to be able to just plug it into my TFT with a HDMI -> DVI cable? are you 100% sure on that? any links etc? I can't afford to buy another monitor and I don't really want to play it through a 17" TV :(

Caporegime
JUMPURS said:
Looking around it appears he may be right which i didn't know :(

Are you sure your monitor isn't HDCP??

I think only monitors with DVI or HDMI can be HDCP compatible. As it is a standard for digital video interfaces. As he only has VGA his monitor won't support it.

rp2000

Man of Honour
JUMPURS said:
I thought one of the reasons for HDMI was for the increased bandwidth? though i may be wrong.
Yes, for audio.

I was referring to VGA in general and not specifically for the PS3. VGA doesn't carry audio so that's a non starter anyway.

Soldato
I've got a Viewsonic VX2025wm which is almost a year old, and a VP171s which is pretty ancient now. I don't think either of them are HDCP compliant, but both are DVI.

Does this mean I'm going to have to play on a rubbish TV or buy a box to convert a component signal to DVI or VGA?

Back
Top Bottom