PS3 to be £425 Official

Soldato
james.miller said:
or how about stop complaining when people rightfully say the price is just too much. and i have a job, thanks.

I agree, the cost is the biggest factor here, as they claim its pretty much the same as a 360 maybe slightly better if developers get more time.

The cost is certainly the factor i wont be buying one. That and the fact that Blu-Ray has already lost 2 film studio partners to HD-DVD..

Associate
ITS ONLY £425

Yes, most of us can afford one - that isn't really the point. It's the principle. Sony is making you pay for a load of crap you don't need to play games, and loads of stuff that may or may not take off. Sony + First Gen blu-ray drive - that's a recipe for reliablity isn't it? ;)

I could afford one, but I'm sure as hell not endorsing Sony's 'yeah, it's expensive, but you'll buy it anyway' attitude. That and the other laughable comments surrounding it - 'it's not the same as the other consoles, so it's worth more' rubbish! When it comes to what it's made for, it has pleny of competition. I hope I'm not the only one that thinks this way and that Sony get a bit of a surprise this time round.

Soldato
I could afford one but IMO it really isn't worth me spending £425 on one when I already have an Xbox 360 and will definitely be getting the Wii.

I'm not complaining about the price though, I just don't feel it's worth me spending £425 on a console for a few exclusive games when I can wait til the price drops and play them then and in the mean time enjoy my Xbox 360 and Wii when it's released

Soldato
AtomicBanana said:
Yes, most of us can afford one - that isn't really the point. It's the principle. Sony is making you pay for a load of crap you don't need to play games, and loads of stuff that may or may not take off. Sony + First Gen blu-ray drive - that's a recipe for reliablity isn't it? ;)

I could afford one, but I'm sure as hell not endorsing Sony's 'yeah, it's expensive, but you'll buy it anyway' attitude. That and the other laughable comments surrounding it - 'it's not the same as the other consoles, so it's worth more' rubbish! When it comes to what it's made for, it has pleny of competition. I hope I'm not the only one that thinks this way and that Sony get a bit of a surprise this time round.

I luckily dont have any principles but do have £425 :)

Pug

Pug

Soldato
But yeah people who spend stupid amounts on SLI and stuff just for games are stupid... just about as silly as sony fanboys who will pay more for a console when theres a rival (360)that does just as good if not better then the PS3.

It doesnt do the job as good or better, it doesnt do the same job at all. You cant play the Sony games on it can you? the main reason for me considering a PS£ and the reason i DIDNT pick a 360 (same goes for PS3 obviously), and there is next to nothing that interests me on 360. nothing, nada, zip (i have a high spec PC, so can pick up the multiplatforms there). So yeah, PS£ MAY be a viable alternative to 360 to me.

lordrobs said:
The pay up and shut up attitude is an odd one because if we don't at least question a products price or value then manufacturers will simply charge whatever they like knowing that people would pay it.

Rubbish!

Whingeing about the price does nothing. Opting to speak with your credit cards, and not buy it - thts what changes prices, not whingeing on a forum about the cost... If people dont buy it, Sony will take more of a loss and lop off a huge chunk of the costs. So if you're not happy, dont buy. If people agree its too expensive, they'll not buy them too - and it will come cheaper.

As for 360, the mere fact the extras are optional means they'll never be officially supported en massé - just like sonys PS2 HDD - never got (much) support in games, neither will the HDDVDs (for gaming). When they fill DVDs up (With the increase in texture res and CG this is likely to happen) will they write games to HDDVD and cutoff most of their market? nah, doubt it.

Whereas with Bluray you have it as standard for them to take advantage of. And its a double edged sword - bluray being standard in the PS£ is a huge push for the format war, whereas HDDVD has lost the potential to have it in as many homes. PS2 made DVD popular quicker than it would've been had it not had a DVD drive in it.

Will i buy one? I'll wait and see what the games look like. If they interest me, yep i'll have one (never know the 60GB one may do PVR or more - its being touted as AV enthusiasts one). Sure £425 is a lot, but its not out til when? November 17th? That gives me 6 months to save, meanig (for a £500 bundle machine lets say) i have to save less than £85 a month. Heck, if i stop in one/two saturdays a month, it'll be paid for... not really an issue that.

Wii however - OMG, that is seriously one cool must have console

Last edited:
Soldato
I'll be buying one. Heck, I'd probably have paid £425 for the 360 if that was the price point - I just love gaming.

Can't say that I can be bothered getting all wound up about the whole pricing argument!

Soldato
It is a lot of money for the average Joe. That's a fact. I can't get an Xbox 360 because I feel it's cost is prohibitive for me by the time you factor in a couple of games and another wireless pad. Another ~£100 on top for a PS3(which is what you'd be looking at for a premium X360 + games) just seems scandalous.

It will still fly off the shelves - I thought the PSP was expensive for what it is and that has sold well too.

Soldato
As has been said before, there are plenty of people willing to pay around £400 every year or so on a GFX card for their PC (I know, I used to be one!!) - so in my book, £425 for a next gen console isn't so bad.

Associate
Pug said:
Whingeing about the price does nothing. Opting to speak with your credit cards, and not buy it - thts what changes prices, not whingeing on a forum about the cost... If people dont buy it, Sony will take more of a loss and lop off a huge chunk of the costs. So if you're not happy, dont buy. If people agree its too expensive, they'll not buy them too - and it will come cheaper.

Exactly. Even if it was £525 on launch day, they'd still sell like hotcakes. Sony dont care because they know it will sell regardless. But damn...if I willing to shell out 425 quid for it, I'd want some kick ass games available at launch. Personally I think you'd have to be nuts to shell out that much. I wouldnt be surprised if such a powerful piece of kit had reliability/overheating issues like the 360. Best to wait a few months to see what happens, and I reckon it wouldnt be too long until the price came down.

Soldato
deSade said:
As has been said before, there are plenty of people willing to pay around £400 every year or so on a GFX card for their PC (I know, I used to be one!!) - so in my book, £425 for a next gen console isn't so bad.

no there arent. only the elite few spend that much on a gpu, and do you not think they sell their last card before buying a new one? most of them do you know. its not like buying a new console every year.

Soldato
It may only be £425 for the console

But thats a lot of money for a George Foreman Grill. I mean at least if it made a good chargrilled fillet of salmon it wouldn't be so bad.

If you actually want to do anything with it, by the time you add a game or two plus controller that will easily be £550 for a package. Doubt many parents have that to spend on their kids xmas presie. But then will they have a choice. £550 buys a lot of stuff specially if you have more than one kid.

Its a struggle to buy a 360 without having to get a deal even now so what ever deal is forced upon you will surely add to the price.

Soldato
james.miller said:
no there arent. only the elite few spend that much on a gpu, and do you not think they sell their last card before buying a new one? most of them do you know. its not like buying a new console every year.
It's not just an 'elite few', I know plenty of people personally & on forums that do the same. My point is, in context, £425 for a console that will last at least 5 years is not that bad.

Soldato
deSade said:
It's not just an 'elite few', I know plenty of people personally & on forums that do the same.

it is and ive already explained why elsewhere. the majority of people playing steam games use a card form at least 3 generations ago. Microsoft said my pc was in the top 2% in the world, even though im 'only' using an x800gto2. think outside our little bubble.

Soldato
james.miller said:
it is and ive already explained why elsewhere. the majority of people playing steam games use a card form at least 3 generations ago. Microsoft said my pc was in the top 2% in the world, even though im 'only' using an x800gto2. think outside our little bubble.
Okay - perhaps I overestimated it :o, but my other point was that £425 for a gaming platform that should last you at least 5 years is perfectly reasonable.

Permabanned
Cmon, how many do you think Sony will send to Europe.

50,000 ?
100,000 ?
200.000 ?

Just looked what happened to the 360, btw is the PS3 a worldwide launch?

If it is they will be a massive buzz and they will all selll and people will rush to put there names down for a pre-order, come summer there will be a price drop with a special exclusive PS3 game pack.

Back
Top Bottom