PS4 faulty two weeks out of warranty

Associate
Well my PS4 disc drive won't play blu ray or games but will regular dvds.

Bought last year on July 3rd is some poor reliability, it's not main console either.

Guessing I am knackered re warranty being out by a couple of weeks?

Probably just going to keep it for exclusives and digital only. Annoying as I was trying to play Nathan drake collection for first time. I have a few disc based games, but price of a new drive does not seem worth it.

Associate
OP
It two years

this. They just don't tell you about he second year

I initially thought this, on their site it says specifically 1 year in Uk though.

Going to give them a try anyway as suggested. I wish I'd returned it not long after I got it, it has always been very very loud, had two friends round when I got it, both have early ps4s and they both thought it was very loud.

Soldato
Regardless of the EU rules, the UK law states that you have recourse for up to six years if there's a reasonable expectation that the item should have lasted longer than it did. As it's totally reasonable to assume an expensive console would last longer than a year, the law is on your side, although you may have to fight for it.

Soldato
The drive is quite easy to swap out if you feel like trying, you just need to get a drive that matches your drives pcb.
Sometimes you can pick them up cheap on ebay.

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/PlayStation+4+Optical+Drive+Replacement/24720

If you dont fancy that I can recommend a guy on ebay called tommytoetruck , if you search ebay for ps4 repair look for an image that says the save point, he does drive
repairs for £44.

Associate
OP
You could try and get the seller to replace it? Where did you buy it?
Wife got it from Sainsbury's on July 3rd last year, it was a present but she gave me the receipt, I have the box and everything.

Probably worth the try.

Chaos I had looked into switching the drive not sure if at the price it's worth it, even though I could likely do it myself, I found a drive that looked ok for mine but was over £50.

Associate
OP
If it's after 12 months, Sainsbury's will definitely refer you to the manufacturer.

I thought that would be the case, if Sony says it's one year then thats it then.

Thanks for the support everyone, the 2 year stuff I was aware of but if the Sony says 1 year, there is little else I can do but complain to them and pay myself.

I am surprised/disappointed it has failed so quickly, I use another console as my main console and blu ray player then my pc, then the ps4. Half of my games are digital, that disc drive has seen little use at all!

Soldato
I thought that would be the case, if Sony says it's one year then thats it then.

Thanks for the support everyone, the 2 year stuff I was aware of but if the Sony says 1 year, there is little else I can do but complain to them and pay myself.

I am surprised/disappointed it has failed so quickly, I use another console as my main console and blu ray player then my pc, then the ps4. Half of my games are digital, that disc drive has seen little use at all!

Have you double checked on the online service tool?
https://hardware.support.eu.playstation.com/en_GB#/

Soldato
It's amazing just how many people, in many threads, love to post the "consumer act aint it - ya sorted".
What they don't explain to you is that the behemoth of a company which has sold you an item with a single year warranty is not going to listen to that person on the phone explaining all this. That you can write, and phone and they will over and over again point you towards their own terms & conditions stating the item was sold with a single year warranty.
You can of course start the legal process if you like. What the "Mate, the law is on your side" people don't tell you is how long and expensive this process is, that you don't just get all of your costs back even in the event it makes it all the way to court and you somehow manage to win - remember the Samsung, Apple & Sony's of the world don't pay their legal team by the hour, so fingers crossed your deep pockets are deep enough.

Soldato
It's amazing just how many people, in many threads, love to post the "consumer act aint it - ya sorted".
What they don't explain to you is that the behemoth of a company which has sold you an item with a single year warranty is not going to listen to that person on the phone explaining all this. That you can write, and phone and they will over and over again point you towards their own terms & conditions stating the item was sold with a single year warranty.
You can of course start the legal process if you like. What the "Mate, the law is on your side" people don't tell you is how long and expensive this process is, that you don't just get all of your costs back even in the event it makes it all the way to court and you somehow manage to win - remember the Samsung, Apple & Sony's of the world don't pay their legal team by the hour, so fingers crossed your deep pockets are deep enough.
It's a £25 small claims court fee.

Back
Top Bottom