PS4 Pro on a 4k HDR TV... everyone's experiences!

Associate
Since getting the pro, really curious about a 4k HDR TV. Among gaming it'll be for movies.
I don't know much about TVs, but from reading that 4k isn't really worth it if it's not atleast 50"? I'd myself fine 43 to be an okay size as I use a 32" Samsung at the moment.

As for TVS, good reviews and prices are the HISENSE which only come at 50+.
Are there any other TV brands or models I should be looking out for at black Friday / Christmas sales?

Thanks a lot for any replies and guidances!

Associate
I'm assuming you'd be limited to 4K content on Netflix and Amazon Prime etc.?

Not sure how else you'd play 4K movies through a PS4 Pro, but then again I'm totally out of touch :o)

Associate
OP
I'm assuming you'd be limited to 4K content on Netflix and Amazon Prime etc.?

Not sure how else you'd play 4K movies through a PS4 Pro, but then again I'm totally out of touch :o)
I meant to say, I'd use an Amazon fire stick, and laptop to HDMI. Just meant movies generally for use, I'm sure it'll be better quality than my current 1080p Samsung hana

Soldato
As that Eurogamer article VincentHanna linked you to points out, getting a decent HDR set for less than £1000 is pretty tough. You'll be unlikely to get proper HDR for less than that, meaning that you may not get high enough peak brightness or wide enough colour gamut to display true HDR. Also bear in mind that the list of HDR supported titles on PS4 is relatively limited, with many games launching with the promise of a patch to add HDR support in the future. There's a decent list of 4k and HDR support on the PS4 Pro here:

https://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/ps4-pro-enhanced-games/

I personally wouldn't go for a Hisense TV if taking advantage of HDR is important to you. They often come with a peak brightness well below the 1000 nits recommended for true HDR implementation and several reviews I've read of their models suggest that the HDR makes colours look inaccurate and sometimes plain wrong. It's probably more than you were planning on spending but the minimum TV I'd recommend for 4k HDR films and gaming would be the Samsung UE55MU7000, which can be had for £950 at Richer Sounds:

https://www.richersounds.com/tv-projectors/all-tvs/samsung-ue55mu7000-soc.html

Samsung TVs generally have some of the lowest input lag for gaming, their Tizen interface is really good imo (though not quite as good as LG's WebOS), and that particular set has good reviews from most of the tech sites.

Associate
OP
As that Eurogamer article VincentHanna linked you to points out, getting a decent HDR set for less than £1000 is pretty tough. You'll be unlikely to get proper HDR for less than that, meaning that you may not get high enough peak brightness or wide enough colour gamut to display true HDR. Also bear in mind that the list of HDR supported titles on PS4 is relatively limited, with many games launching with the promise of a patch to add HDR support in the future. There's a decent list of 4k and HDR support on the PS4 Pro here:

https://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/ps4-pro-enhanced-games/

I personally wouldn't go for a Hisense TV if taking advantage of HDR is important to you. They often come with a peak brightness well below the 1000 nits recommended for true HDR implementation and several reviews I've read of their models suggest that the HDR makes colours look inaccurate and sometimes plain wrong. It's probably more than you were planning on spending but the minimum TV I'd recommend for 4k HDR films and gaming would be the Samsung UE55MU7000, which can be had for £950 at Richer Sounds:

https://www.richersounds.com/tv-projectors/all-tvs/samsung-ue55mu7000-soc.html

Samsung TVs generally have some of the lowest input lag for gaming, their Tizen interface is really good imo (though not quite as good as LG's WebOS), and that particular set has good reviews from most of the tech sites.
Thanks for the reply! That's so damn expensive, not sure I'll make enough use of it for that price lol. What possibly a monitor 32-40inch be available to work with the PS4 pro, that way I can could use it for my pc too simultaneously.
In the end it's all expensive, although, reckon that TV set would be highly reduced on Xmas/ sales ?

Soldato
Buyer beware lots of fake HDR around!! Look for something which has either Premium Ultra HD or HDR10+ & or Dolby Vision. LG do a nice range the cheapest option is around £620 for the 43" model. If you buy a budget set without HDR you would need to sell it to ever see HDR in action as they cannot display it properly its dithered & does not look much different as it lacks the expensive electronics to display full black & white colour ranges. This is the LG range the larger screens are well over a grand but the base model is affordable! Hisense is a Chinese budget brand if you do not care about proper HDR its a cheap option so are Bush & Hitachi but all really are just 4K sets with fake HDR. http://www.lg.com/uk/tvs/lg-43UJ750V

Associate
OP
Buyer beware lots of fake HDR around!! Look for something which has either Premium Ultra HD or HDR10+ & or Dolby Vision. LG do a nice range the cheapest option is around £620 for the 43" model. If you buy a budget set without HDR you would need to sell it to ever see HDR in action as they cannot display it properly its dithered & does not look much different as it lacks the expensive electronics to display full black & white colour ranges. This is the LG range the larger screens are well over a grand but the base model is affordable! Hisense is a Chinese budget brand if you do not care about proper HDR its a cheap option so are Bush & Hitachi but all really are just 4K sets with fake HDR. http://www.lg.com/uk/tvs/lg-43UJ750V
Thanks for the reply dude. That set would probably be enough for me, moving from a 1080p Samsung. And way affordable than the others. Will save the link to hope for sale during Xmas haha.

Associate
As previously stated, it's all down to the ability of your TV, I've seen HDR look outstanding and I've seen it look meh.
As well of the ability of the TV, most sets will have an abundance of set up options and most are set up incorrectly.

Too much processing, over saturated colours and so on.

My Pro on my Panny TX65DX902B looks fab, especially after calibration.

Soldato
@AWPC this model is 396 on Amazon, same year make. What's the difference?
LG 43UJ630V
Multi HDR with Dolby Vision is the big difference basically enhanced HDR (which is what buying one of these sets is all about its more future proofed with the Dolby Vision mode). Either set is probably fantastic. I may even buy one myself soon thinking about it a lot but I also need it to double up as a PC monitor not sure either is good enough for that as well!

Also look very closely at the refresh rate I think its only 50 for these sets not 60 which has an impact if you use it for PC gaming as well then finally look at the number of HDMI 2.0 ports as that is the required port for Ultra HD Movie playback from Disc as well as PS4 Pro & Xbox1X.

Last edited:
Soldato
Hdr really right now is like when hd ready tv started, way some hdr is done/advertised is too miss leading imo
As long as its Multi HDR with Dolby Vision your covered or HDR 10 + at the very minimum. 4K UHD is the bigger issue they all do 4K but most of the cheaper 4K UHD sets have fake HDR!

Soldato
As long as its Multi HDR with Dolby Vision your covered or HDR 10 + at the very minimum. 4K UHD is the bigger issue they all do 4K but most of the cheaper 4K UHD sets have fake HDR!
I know that but most tv when described just say hdr and rarely say if 10bit or 8bit unless your really into tech you won't look I can imagine most people just buy any set and don't even know if it's true hdr or if they have some gimped form of it

Associate
OP
Multi HDR with Dolby Vision is the big difference basically enhanced HDR (which is what buying one of these sets is all about its more future proofed with the Dolby Vision mode). Either set is probably fantastic. I may even buy one myself soon thinking about it a lot but I also need it to double up as a PC monitor not sure either is good enough for that as well!

Also look very closely at the refresh rate I think its only 50 for these sets not 60 which has an impact if you use it for PC gaming as well then finally look at the number of HDMI 2.0 ports as that is the required port for Ultra HD Movie playback from Disc as well as PS4 Pro & Xbox1X.
Let me know how it goes or you come across any good deals..? You defiantly know your tv tech more than me. I'm clueless. Possibly add me on here if that's a thing/ of trust me number to WhatsApp? Just so cautious, don't wanna make a mistake and regret it

Back
Top Bottom