PS5 or Series X? Because it hasn't been asked before...

Soldato
Sorry!

I've currently got a PS4 Pro with almost all of my games on physical media, and a One S with every game stored digitally, looking to upgrade at some point in time this year when stock levels normalise.

I mostly play on the PS4 as it's more powerful and the games look better on my OLED, but I love the idea of Game Pass Ultimate, and then my son can play the games on his PC too.

I may end up with both down the line, but can only justify one for now, any advice please?

Soldato
It depends on what you're wanting to play.

From my perspective the new Xbox doesn't offer me anything, the games on there I want to play I can get on the PC and that's where I'd rather play them. If I was buying a console right now it would be a PS5, the exclusives are more appealing to me.

Soldato
You don't mention anything about exclusives, as that is something that comes down to you.

Since you could use Game Pass across the two devices, I'd choose the Xbox. Controllers also carry over from last gen too, so you don't need to buy additional stuff. With you mentioning your games being digital, I don't think I own any physical games from last-gen, nevermind this gen. You'll probably have found organising the library is effortless on Xbox, since it breaks down what you've bought, got access to, etc. Plus, whilst there are already some rather decent titles on GP, there are a lot more to come.

Caporegime
PS5 and a Series S for your back catalogue and any Xbox exclusives is probably your best bet. The biggest improvement this generation is the Ryzen CPU anyway IMO.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for all the replies, much appreciated.

I haven't got a gaming PC, only my son has, so the Xbox would be my poor man's replacement.

I've mainly got exclusives on both consoles, Ghost of Tsushima, Gran Turismo, The last of us, Uncharted, etc on the PS4, and Forza, Gears of War, etc on the Xbox, not massively interested in the yearly repetition of the big name games.

I think a PS5 and keep the One S for now is probably the sensible option for now.

Slightly off topic, but if i share the Game Pass, can we have individual save games? I logged in with my account on his PC, and his GOW save overwrote mine, lol!

Soldato
I have both Series X and PS5 and the Series X gets the vast majority of playtime due to Gamepass. Pun aside, it is a game changer. What's particularly encouraging is MS are just geting into their stride with Gamepass and it's only going to get better.

There's 3 main benefits. First - all my online gaming buddies having access to the same library of games - so no more trying to convince each other to buy the game x. We all have it already. Second - which ties into the first and most significant, is the freedom to try out anything you like. 4 of the 5 games i've enjoyed the most since the launch of the new consoles were titles on Gamepass that I wouldn't have tried otherwise. Streets of Rage 4, Wasteland 3, State of Decay 2 and Hotshot Racing. Third - it's super cheap. One PS5 game cost me almost as much as Gamepass for 3 years. Even if you don't go the Live upgrade route, it's super cheap for what you get. I haven't had to buy a single game on Series X since launch.

ymmv, but Series X with Gamepass is my bread and butter console for this gen, with PS5 performing exclusives detail. To give the PS5 it's due - it is quality hardware with a much nicer interface. The pad is better too.

Caporegime
If you don't have a gaming PC then the XBOX usually makes more sense in that situation due to gamepass. That being said, if you play more PS exclusives than you do XB then I think the decision is already made. Take a look at upcoming exclusives and make a tally of which ones you definitely want to play?

Soldato
I haven't had an XBox since the 360 and had the PS3/PS4 & PS4 Pro and was just going to get a PS5 and be done with it and not give the XBox a second look.

I've actually done a complete 360 and now own a Series X alongside my PS4 Pro and will later be getting a PS5. I've got plenty of friends who were raving about Gamepass and how its literally only just starting and will ramp up significantly over the next few years and over the lifetime and thought why not.

The plan was to get a Series S but I decided against it as honestly the colour put me off and I know for a fact i'd regret not getting the extra grunt. I've had my Series X for a week now and honestly it's the most fun gaming i've had in a long time, played through Ryse Son of Rome and now playing through Jedi Fallen Order and loving every minute of it. I have plenty of other games I want to download and play too and with gamepass I haven't even bought a game yet.

I'm just going to have the best of both worlds as i'm fed up of upgrading my pc and spending loads on it so sticking with consoles instead now.

Soldato
I'm just going to have the best of both worlds as i'm fed up of upgrading my pc and spending loads on it so sticking with consoles instead now.

Same. Both consoles cost less than a new gaming rig and I'm not missing PC gaming at all tbh.

It's not about what consoles have the best exclusives either these days. It's about being able to try a bredth of games to find out what you like. Before Gamepass you basically had to choose a game based on reviews/tastes etc and hope you end up enjoying it. Often playing it safe and staying with the same few genres or developers. Now you can try 100s of games and discover gems you wouldn't have otherwise. Like Deep Rock Galactic - best co-op fps in years. Better for gamers, better for developers to get their games played - it's win win. It's bascially netflix vs. having to buy every movie/boxset.

Soldato
Same. Both consoles cost less than a new gaming rig and I'm not missing PC gaming at all tbh.

It's not about what consoles have the best exclusives either these days. It's about being able to try a bredth of games to find out what you like. Before Gamepass you basically had to choose a game based on reviews/tastes etc and hope you end up enjoying it. Often playing it safe and staying with the same few genres or developers. Now you can try 100s of games and discover gems you wouldn't have otherwise. Like Deep Rock Galactic - best co-op fps in years. Better for gamers, better for developers to get their games played - it's win win. It's bascially netflix vs. having to buy every movie/boxset.

That's exactly it, when I last upgraded I spent a few grand on my PC setup. Got a good year out of it, then met my missus and my game time went down hill and then moved in with her and barely used it and now it's struggling in newer games and just don't have the time and energy to keep upgrading.

I've found consoles suit me better as they are more pick up and play, less dealing with drivers and tinkering with settings and having compatibility issues and more focusing on the actual gameplay. Gamepass has given me a second wind for my love of gaming, plenty of games to play and I could happily not buy a game and just play the games off there for a long long time.

It will only get better as there are big rumours of Ubisoft titles being added to gamepass later this year and with Microsoft now owning Bethesda that will all be added too.

I would say though if you have a good gaming PC then there is no need for an XBox and gamepass as it can be done on it already.

Soldato
I've always been a PlayStation console owner, I fought long and hard to get a PS5 in November for my step-son's Christmas present and it's great but I'm happy to hold out and wait. But the Series X tempts me with Flight Simulator which should be coming out "Summer 21". If that looks as good as it does in the trailer and run's well then It's going to be difficult to say no.

Soldato
It still very much is for a lot of people, especially if they already have a gaming PC.

There's little reason for me to own an XB with Gamepass on PC, there's a reason for me to own a PS5 however as I wouldn't get to play certain exclusives otherwise.

Sure. I was mainly addressing the Series X vs PS5 topic. It makes less sense for sure to have an Xbox and gaming PC with Gamepass. This basically ties in the Microsoft's plan and shows how well it's working. The debate is now Gamepass, regardless of platform, vs PS5, with the former being way more attractive to many people. I probably will get another gaming PC in 2-3 years btw and my library of games, saves and ability to play with friends on console and pc, will be ready. Along with the option to escape to the study when the missus wants the tv and vice versa. It's gaining momentum on Andoid and rumours of Gamepass hitting the Switch (although prob best not to hold your breath). They're basically mirroring their data rather than platform focus in the workplace in making things eniterly games focussed in the home. Get Gamepass and play on whatever you like. If Sony don't change to compete, they are going to get royally bent over.

Soldato
I'm very happy with the xbox, I gave up on the PC arms race a few years ago but really missed first person shooters, the xbox has native keyboard and mouse support (the official razor Turret works really nicely), so for me it was an easy decision. I've been smashing Cold War and Metro Exodus over Christmas. Couldn't care less about exclusives personally as all the really good stuff (to me) tends to be multi-plat, what isn't wouldn't skew me one way or the other.

I think you'll be happy with either to be honest, they're basically the same thing (give or take a few chin stroking details) in a different box.

Soldato
I'm very happy with the xbox, I gave up on the PC arms race a few years ago but really missed first person shooters, the xbox has native keyboard and mouse support (the official razor Turret works really nicely), so for me it was an easy decision. I've been smashing Cold War and Metro Exodus over Christmas.

Interesting stuff. I haven't tried a m&k with any consoles before. Is there much hassle in setup/compatability?

Soldato
Get the Xbox.

A Series X with three years of Xbox Live Gold (which you can upgrade to Game Pass Ultimate for £1) will set you back about £570. Chances are, you'll then buy very few games for the console. And after a few years you could buy a PS5 and all of the launch exclusives with the money you haven't spent :p

Soldato
Sure. I was mainly addressing the Series X vs PS5 topic. It makes less sense for sure to have an Xbox and gaming PC with Gamepass.

Sure, if you have a PC then you'll get access to a wider library of games by buying a PS5. But "more games" isn't always the aim.

These days, I've got to be really, really excited about a game to pay £40-£70 for it. Miles Morales, Ratchet & Clank, Ragnarok and Forbidden West would be on the list. But the rest of the time? A PS5 would barely see any use. I've got too much to play on PC and One S as it is. This is how I wound up buying a new Xbox for the main TV. PS5 would have given me access to a wider library, but would sit unused between big releases. My new Series S is used several times a week, without any big releases.

Back
Top Bottom