PS5 players won't get future Bethesda games

Soldato
If all systems had software parity I'd never buy another console again in my life.

The only reason I'm considering a PS5 down the line is due to exclusive (be it timed or fully) content. Given the choice I'd much rather use my PC, even for couch gaming my preference is PC + xbox controller.

It doesn't make logical business sense because they are cutting off millions of consumers from buying the product, missing out on massive revenue.
to you, sure, but to microsoft, who is in a much much much much better position to judge this, it clearly does make sense.

and it's not half. It's 3rd, at the very best when being super generous. These are bethesda games. Skyrim is what makes them the most money. A game sold mostly on pc.

i'd be willing to bet that the figures are something like this:

skyrim sales:

70% pc
14% playstation
14% xbox
2% switch

now of that 14% that playstation used to have for skyrim, you'd find a percentage of those buyers also own an xbox/pc. lets say 4% currently have another way that they'd play the game without having to purchase another console/device to play it.

so these buyers will still buy, just not on playstation.

this leaves 10% of skyrim buyers that have a playstation and can't buy the next elderscrolls game. of that 10%, let's say 2% will buy an xbox so that they can play this game (among other possible exclusives) so that's now just 8% of buyers not being able to play their game, but an increase in xbox sales,game pass sales.

i don't think microsoft worry about 8% of sales lost, for the potential increase in xbox revenue, and the amount of money skyrim alone continues to make any way.

now these numbers are just random ones picked out, but my point is, when you say half you're wrong, it is going to be way way way less than half the sales that they are closing off from.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
It doesn't make logical business sense because they are cutting off millions of consumers from buying the product, missing out on massive revenue.

It's probably a good job that you're not the head of a substantial business then, because it's very how their strategy benefits them in the long run. A few lost sales (don't forget to subtract the platform holder's fees) is nothing compared to getting new subscribers on Game Pass.

I get it, exclusives aren't great for the consumer, but don't let your personal feelings cloud your judgement of the business decision.

Soldato
OP
That's the thing I suppose. Elder Scrolls being an xbox exclusive wouldn't make me ditch my Playstation to buy an Xbox.

Personally I'd spend the money upgrading my PC to play it but I guess whether it's Xbox or Windows Microsoft keep you on their platforms and in the Microsoft ecosystem so they win either way.

Man of Honour
I don’t think it’s about PlayStation at all. Imagine if Google or Amazon had snapped up Bethesda. That would have been disastrous for the end customer.

Google have already purchased and then trashed the Journey to the Savage Planet developer. It's a shame as I really enjoyed the game in coop.

Soldato
to you, sure, but to microsoft, who is in a much much much much better position to judge this, it clearly does make sense.

and it's not half. It's 3rd, at the very best when being super generous. These are bethesda games. Skyrim is what makes them the most money. A game sold mostly on pc.

i'd be willing to bet that the figures are something like this:

skyrim sales:

70% pc
14% playstation
14% xbox
2% switch

now of that 14% that playstation used to have for skyrim, you'd find a percentage of those buyers also own an xbox/pc. lets say 4% currently have another way that they'd play the game without having to purchase another console/device to play it.

so these buyers will still buy, just not on playstation.

this leaves 10% of skyrim buyers that have a playstation and can't buy the next elderscrolls game. of that 10%, let's say 2% will buy an xbox so that they can play this game (among other possible exclusives) so that's now just 8% of buyers not being able to play their game, but an increase in xbox sales,game pass sales.

i don't think microsoft worry about 8% of sales lost, for the potential increase in xbox revenue, and the amount of money skyrim alone continues to make any way.

now these numbers are just random ones picked out, but my point is, when you say half you're wrong, it is going to be way way way less than half the sales that they are closing off from.

I see. I think the difference is back in the day apart from a few exceptions, as mentioned by @silvagti it was mostly software houses working independently. Whereas now Microsoft and Sony (and Nintendo) are both running whitelisted systems so everyone as to have approval. Back in the day on the Amiga, anyone could make a game and sell it.

But at this rate I'm wondering if I'll actually have a next gen console by the time Skyrim 6 comes out :D

Associate
I see. I think the difference is back in the day apart from a few exceptions, as mentioned by @silvagti it was mostly software houses working independently. Whereas now Microsoft and Sony (and Nintendo) are both running whitelisted systems so everyone as to have approval. Back in the day on the Amiga, anyone could make a game and sell it.

But at this rate I'm wondering if I'll actually have a next gen console by the time Skyrim 6 comes out :D
Consoles have always been a closed platform where you need to be licenced to make and release games. When people talk about Sega and Nintendo have "exclussives" , they are in house developed games that are created and owned by that company - that is very different to paying third parties for exclussivity just to make sure the competition don't have access to the best games.......something that really kicked off with Sony paying for Tomb Raider 2 exclusivity. Sony have since bought up and/or paid for exclussivity with a whole plethora of companies and development houses (including Bethesda themselves), and this has effectively left Microsoft little choice but to do the same just so they can compete.......which is a big mistake for Sony, as MS can afford to buy up the whole market!

As I mentioned before, Microsoft's deal for Bethesda group has cost them nothing - it is an asset that will sit on Microsoft's balance sheet, and potentially could be sold again at any point.

You're getting confused between home computer games and console games - anyone can (and does) make home computer games now.

Soldato
You're getting confused between home computer games and console games - anyone can (and does) make home computer games now.

You're right. I'm from the Amiga days and even back then we left the crumbs for the Atari St fans ;)

I can understand the point you and others make now. It's a shame its come to this that all gamers won't be able to explore Skyrim 6 and other games.

It's a shame its come to this that all gamers won't be able to explore Skyrim 6 and other games
True, the next elder scrolls will be missed by some, but there are ways they can buy the game. Either pc or xbox.

It's also a shame I can't play spiderman, or any other ps exclusive.

Anyone remember when rockstar was exclusive to PlayStation with gta games? That was a bigger crime.

Soldato
True, the next elder scrolls will be missed by some, but there are ways they can buy the game. Either pc or xbox.

It's also a shame I can't play spiderman, or any other ps exclusive.

Anyone remember when rockstar was exclusive to PlayStation with gta games? That was a bigger crime.

Where did the GTA series start out though?

I honestly think it's more of an issue due to people who only get one console have been able to play the last 3/4 Fallouts and pick up Elder Scrolls but they now won't be able too.

I know Sony have exclusives, but most of them were born on the PlayStation and have stayed there, not really released on multiple consoles then at a later date locked down.

I will either end up with a decent gaming laptop or a xbox series X before it's an issue for myself but I can see why it is for some.

Soldato
Sony have brought this on themselves by going down the exclusives route. Payback time.

What? Both brands have had exclusives since they started, this is just how it works.

that is very different to paying third parties for exclussivity just to make sure the competition don't have access to the best games.......something that really kicked off with Sony paying for Tomb Raider 2 exclusivity. Sony have since bought up and/or paid for exclussivity with a whole plethora of companies and development houses (including Bethesda themselves), and this has effectively left Microsoft little choice but to do the same just so they can compete.......which is a big mistake for Sony, as MS can afford to buy up the whole market!

That's quite a selective memory you've got there, given that was MS' MO for a significant part of the Xbox 360 life cycle and even seeped into the Xbox One's too. Funnily enough, Tomb Raider was one of them too.

What? Both brands have had exclusives since they started, this is just how it works.

That's quite a selective memory you've got there, given that was MS' MO for a significant part of the Xbox 360 life cycle and even seeped into the Xbox One's too. Funnily enough, Tomb Raider was one of them too.

What exclusives did the first xbox have? I can only think of halo series. And now as I type eventually the gears games.

Any others?

Soldato
What exclusives did the first xbox have? I can only think of halo series. And now as I type eventually the gears games.

Any others?

Jade Empire was a timed exclusive, hugely underrated game from BioWare back when they still made good games.

Fable 1 + 2 (although the first did end up on PC).

Halo 2 (The first launched on PC at the same time I think).

There was a mech game that came with a big HOTAS style setup.

Crimson Skies.

I'm sure there's others, they're the only ones I remember though.

Back
Top Bottom