PS5 players won't get future Bethesda games

Caporegime
Or just buy both consoles? By the time proper exclusives are out then both will be cheap enough.

A major waste IMO. Your better off just buying a PS5 and a gaming laptop or PC.

Owning 2 consoles paying for 2 online subscriptions, etc. Much better off with a pc for MS exclusives. That way you get pc exclusives too like counter strike, etc.

Associate
There's a good chance these will end up being timed Microsoft exclusives as money talks, there will still be many single console PS5 owners that want Bethesda games. Maybe a year and half Xbox and PC exclusives then I would think likely PS5 ports.

Sony been very generous to PC gamers in letting a lot of their exclusives being ported to Windows, a Microsoft platform, so hopefully they won't go back to 'console war' mode with genuinely only PS5 playable games.

This has now confirmed PC as the best single platform for getting most games this console gen, even if timed. I hope Sony don't stop porting their games to Windows now as 'revenge'.

Caporegime
There's a good chance these will end up being timed Microsoft exclusives as money talks, there will still be many single console PS5 owners that want Bethesda games. Maybe a year and half Xbox and PC exclusives then I would think likely PS5 ports.

Sony been very generous to PC gamers in letting a lot of their exclusives being ported to Windows, a Microsoft platform, so hopefully they won't go back to 'console war' mode with genuinely only PS5 playable games.

This has now confirmed PC as the best single platform for getting most games this console gen, even if timed. I hope Sony don't stop porting their games to Windows now as 'revenge'.

I find several faults with this argument -

1) Microsoft want people to pay for a Game Pass subscription. Not a disc sale on PS5 which then can get resold second hand with them seeing no money.
2) Sony are probably putting games on PC because they want more money. The lack of PS5 consoles is hindering software sales because no-one will buy games if there's no hardware.
3) The PC might have the biggest range of games available but by god most of the console ports are stinkers. Totally unoptimized and bugged to hell and back.

Man of Honour

Sure, once Sony allows Game Pass on their platform.

Associate
I find several faults with this argument -

1) Microsoft want people to pay for a Game Pass subscription. Not a disc sale on PS5 which then can get resold second hand with them seeing no money.
2) Sony are probably putting games on PC because they want more money. The lack of PS5 consoles is hindering software sales because no-one will buy games if there's no hardware.
3) The PC might have the biggest range of games available but by god most of the console ports are stinkers. Totally unoptimized and bugged to hell and back.

Good point about Gamepass, though reselling discs was a huge factor in changing the Xbox 1 design, some console gamers still see that as a bonus in many ways, they still have to cater for gamers that want to buy games outright as well. But yeah that is a factor I didn't fully consider.

Of course Sony are porting to PC to make money I've never suggested that wasn't the case, but the very timed exclusive model they're operating could also work with delayed PS5 ports. If MS don't port any Bethesda games to PS5 anymore, they we may not get these Sony PC ports any more, more money or not, it may be seen as watering down the PS5 exclusive brand.

To say most console ports are bad on PC isn't correct for the most part, though there are some truly terrible ones.

We'll have to wait and see if Gampass will ensure total exclusivity, I've seen too many 'exclusives' end up elsewhere to be 100% of that, though I accept it's a powerful reason for it that I hadn't fully considered.

Soldato
I think you've ventured in to nonsense territory there.

Future Bethesda games are going to launch on Xbox consoles, PC (Windows Store & Steam), and a whole host of other devices via the cloud streaming platform. By the time Elder Scrolls 6 launches, you might well be able to stream it in 4K straight to a Sky Q box. There's potentially absolutely no reason to port it to PlayStation, and every reason not to (subs vs unit sales). There was a quote last year which was along the lines of "Our intention isn't to stop people playing the games they love'". This is what they meant; you're going to be able to access Game Pass titles in so many different places that you don't have to miss out. And you don't even have to buy an Xbox. They are looking to grow their gaming market beyond the console.

In what way would Sony shelving plans to bring further games to Steam and Epic Game Store be an effective response to the above? And how, exactly, would it lead to Bethesda games on PlayStation? I'm not really understanding how these dots join...

Last edited:
Associate
I'm just stating my opinion inbetween working and concentrating on other stuff, not claiming it's definitely what will happen or that it's some kind of winning business strategy.

I just don't feel the buying games once model is totally dead, or even physical games and that Live Pass services will completely replace it.

Also we already have Microsoft owned huge franchises on all 3 consoles, MS owned characters on Switch games, ect, the general trend has less exclusivity of late. Maybe new Minecraft content will also become MS exclusive, it certainly isn't now. That's a huge MS owned IP they're sharing around with rivals to make the most money.

If MS do decide to keep all Bethesda games totally exclusive to PC then Sony might cancel Windows games out of also wanting to also keep a totally separate PS5 exclusive content brand. Which could be totally understandable.

I never suggested restricting PC ports of PS5 would bring Beth games back to PS5, you're getting confused here, it would merely ensure total exclusivity on PS5 almost as a tit for tat. With no MS involvement at all to dilute it.

I also see Elder Scrolls 6 as a game that people will buy, people play these game for years, one £70 purchase or 4 worth years of subs? What's smarter? Even if you do get other games some will just want to play that game for a long time and likely cancel their subs for a while.

It could be a timed exclusive on game pass and retail for MS for 2 years, then as a retail/digital but non PS Now game and still sell a lot on PS5. Minecraft is MS exclusively owned and sold on multiple rival consoles due to money, Elder Scrolls 6 could potentially be in as much demand.

I'm not saying it'll definitely happen but it's not totally out of the realms of possibility.

Caporegime
If MS do decide to keep all Bethesda games totally exclusive to PC then Sony might cancel Windows games out of also wanting to also keep a totally separate PS5 exclusive content brand. Which could be totally understandable.

I don't think they'd do that. I've seen a lot of talk on forums - a big percentage of PC players simply aren't interested in consoles at all. Even now, with some having played Horizon Zero Dawn and thinking it's the best thing since sliced bread, they won't get a PS5 for Horizon Forbidden West. They just do without. So Sony lose out on money by not embracing PC really.

Associate
The only reason to buy a PS5 is near the end of the consoles life for a few of it's exclusives. The things MS are doing atm and the sheer power of the series X once devs get to grips with it is unreal.

Agreed xbox really need to copy the ps controller. Love the idea of it and the simplicity of it. No silly gimmick but an actual feature that will be used (hopefully) when playing different games. It's the only thing I can say ps have done better than xbox this time. Ps need to figure out some game pass copy, as unless game pass stops adding good games, I'm pretty sure we are going to have a huge amount of xbox owners that very rarely buy games any more but instead just wait for it to arrive on gamepass

Associate

I never suggested restricting PC ports of PS5 would bring Beth games back to PS5, you're getting confused here, it would merely ensure total exclusivity on PS5 almost as a tit for tat. With no MS involvement at all to dilute it.

I also see Elder Scrolls 6 as a game that people will buy, people play these game for years, one £70 purchase or 4 worth years of subs? What's smarter? Even if you do get other games some will just want to play that game for a long time and likely cancel their subs for a while.

It could be a timed exclusive on game pass and retail for MS for 2 years, then as a retail/digital but non PS Now game and still sell a lot on PS5. Minecraft is MS exclusively owned and sold on multiple rival consoles due to money, Elder Scrolls 6 could potentially be in as much demand.

I'm not saying it'll definitely happen but it's not totally out of the realms of possibility.
A couple of things you might want to bear in mind.........I doubt Microsoft give a monkeys if Sony release their games on any other format than Xbox (or within the Gamepass ecosystem). Microsoft get absolutely nothing from games released on PC.

If Elder Scrolls 6 was released on PS5 it would retail for £60 or £70 (depending on PS5 pricing), whereas it would effectively be free to anyone already paying for a GamePass subscription - I would suggest that a great many players would move from PS to another format in those circumstances and sales on PS5 would be more limited than would otherwise be the case.

If I were Sony I would be extremely dubious and suspicious of my main competitor having free development reigns on my platform via an A list development house - firstly, what's to stop them just releasing inferior products on PS, what would stop them from downtalking the PS power, and more worryingly, would they provide insight into future technical development or shut them out? It's a very tricky situation either way for Sony, and I think they may just prefer to push them away than to deal with many of the issues.

Associate
Agreed xbox really need to copy the ps controller. Love the idea of it and the simplicity of it. No silly gimmick but an actual feature that will be used (hopefully) when playing different games. It's the only thing I can say ps have done better than xbox this time. Ps need to figure out some game pass copy, as unless game pass stops adding good games, I'm pretty sure we are going to have a huge amount of xbox owners that very rarely buy games any more but instead just wait for it to arrive on gamepass
I like a lot about both controllers. For me Xbox is fantastic for shooters and racing games, whereas the PS controller is better for just about everything else...........however, I have been playing on my nephew's PS5 and have to say I am not a fan of the reactive buttons on the new controller - I worry that I exert too much pressure and will damage them over time. I realise they've been tested to death, but it just feels like they've added a potential failure point? Has anyone had any issues with them so far? Maybe I'm just a little more paranoid than I would have been as it's not my kit! :D

Associate

I much prefer the asymmetrical analog sticks of the Series X controller, not to mention the shape of the triggers and the tactile d-pad.

The problem with the DualSense is that it's features are implemented at the developer's discretion, which means support is sporadic at best. Astro's Playroom showcases them, but most of the time they're underutilized in games, or entirely absent! Gyro-aiming should be the standard, but most games don't even acknowledge it.

Also, a more elaborate design means a myriad of potential problems. Then there's the battery life to consider, which is no better than the DualShock 4 according to Sony!

Soldato
Both consoles ofer such good value for money these days that i've no issue owning both. My PS5 has mostly gathered dust since launch, but I still have no regrets. PSVR2 is on the way, various exclusives, and the hardware is quality. The Series X is a complete no brainer with Gamepass imo.

Associate
A couple of things you might want to bear in mind.........I doubt Microsoft give a monkeys if Sony release their games on any other format than Xbox (or within the Gamepass ecosystem). Microsoft get absolutely nothing from games released on PC.

If Elder Scrolls 6 was released on PS5 it would retail for £60 or £70 (depending on PS5 pricing), whereas it would effectively be free to anyone already paying for a GamePass subscription - I would suggest that a great many players would move from PS to another format in those circumstances and sales on PS5 would be more limited than would otherwise be the case.

If I were Sony I would be extremely dubious and suspicious of my main competitor having free development reigns on my platform via an A list development house - firstly, what's to stop them just releasing inferior products on PS, what would stop them from downtalking the PS power, and more worryingly, would they provide insight into future technical development or shut them out? It's a very tricky situation either way for Sony, and I think they may just prefer to push them away than to deal with many of the issues.

Some good points, it is a tough situation for Sony either way, but as for Sony not wanting MS games on Sony as they might be inferior? You can currently play and buy MS owned Minecraft on PS5, their very latest console. It's clearly not an issue as is being currently proved. Some might be dubious but it hasn't stopped Minecraft - that bridge has already been crossed.

Many PS5 users would buy Elder Scrolls outright that would never otherwise get Game Pass at any time, some markets like Japan are still resistant to Xbox. It could be 2 million £70 sales on PS5 after 2 years of maximising gamepass subs and Xbox sales, it could be hard money to leave on the table. As I've said, I believe most will likely still buy the Elder Scrolls 6 outright even on Xbox or PC as people play them for years and mod them etc. A one time buy is better sense for most in that instance.

MS may not get money from PC ports but they do get exposure and wider use of the Xbox Live brand via Game Pass, they gain extra brand awareness so PC ports do have value to MS. Gamepass is very much also Xbox branded on PC for good reason.

Skyrim alone sold 30 million copies with estimates being about about 20-25% of that on Sony platforms, I think whether it's ever released on PS5 or not, a lot of money could have been potentially left on the table if people don't uptake game pass as much as they hope.

Either way this is still pure speculation at this stage, I'm genuinely interested to see if Game Pass becomes as popular as they hope. I've had Game Pass on PC since it launched, it's great, but some issues are not owning games outright and having too many to install with not enough space. First World problems for sure, but I still prefer the 'owning outright' digital games model.

Back
Top Bottom