PSM review their shiny new Playsation 3

Soldato
Linkage

Includes short video.

Mostly good, a bit of bad:

) It's quiet like a sleeping baby. A barely audible hum. With the TV on you simply can't hear it at all.
2) It's heavy like a planet. No, really. It's impossible to pick up with one hand.
3) It's shiny like a mirror. In fact, it's impossible to take a photograph of it without the flash spanging every picture into a starburst mess. And therefore it's massively prone to fingerprintage too, with the tiny amount of dust in the office magically attaching itself to its surface in seconds.
4) The PS3 joypad is very light and the tilt system is very responsive. We like.
5) The start up is amazingly fast. And game load times were faster than expected. In fact, PS3 does both at about the same speed of PSP. ie, Long load times due to the massive Blu-ray disc? Nope. Simply not an issue.
6) Andy's fingers kept sliding off the shoulder buttons. But that's because his fingers are slippery.

Oh look, i spelt the title wrong :o its now called "Playsation"

Last edited:

XPE

XPE

Soldato
The same load times as a psp :( , PSM are making that out to be a good point.

Apart from that there is nothing unexpected.

Man of Honour
Sounds like it's a very good bit of kit to have, especially if it's quiet and quick. Though i'll take it with a tiny bit of salt coming from a PS3 magazine dedicated to the PS3 :)

Caporegime
Nice video, you see erm the psp looking menu which when looking at the 360 interface sucks, and we listen to them bang on, why not post a proper video.

Nice to see someone has used one looks good but i'm yet to be convinced tbh.

Soldato
psp loads from power on to game menu pretty quick tbh, just level loading times that suck imo

heavy = mass heatsinks i hope

quiet = :D :D :D

only thing i hate about my 360 is the noise its loud!

Caporegime
DaveyD said:
Sounds like it's a very good bit of kit to have, especially if it's quiet and quick. Though i'll take it with a tiny bit of salt coming from a PS3 magazine dedicated to the PS3 :)

Yep because they aint never gonna **** off their livelyhood!

Man of Honour
Johanson said:
Its a short review, but what they did say looked fair to me.
The weight hadly is that much of a bad point, it's always going to be a heavy thing, and it's known that it's a heavy beast aynway, but I'll wait for a less of a biased review hgopefully... though that would have to be me personally, and not anybody else :p

Associate
Nismo said:
Good to hear its quiet, hard to get anything new from the rest of it though.

Yeah, sounds like the exact same stuff everybody is reporting (controller is light, system is heavy, tilt is very responsive).
The load time thing worries me a bit, the PSP isn't exactly great load time wise but the 360 is fairly bad in this regard too. Looking forward to some more news soon now that people have their hands on them.

Soldato
andy8271 said:
psp loads from power on to game menu pretty quick tbh, just level loading times that suck imo

heavy = mass heatsinks i hope

quiet = :D :D :D

only thing i hate about my 360 is the noise its loud!

Apparently sony have put a huge fan in it, using the same idea as PC's a big fan needs to spin slower to move the same amount of air as small fans do. probably the reason for its odd shape too.

Problem is though the 360 is noisey cos of the DVD drives, which is something i still don't understand how a DVD drive (when dvd drives have been around 10 years) i just soooo loud lol

Back
Top Bottom