PSU Dead?

Soldato
I've recently has my PC on for a few days while running a VM, and tonight came home and found it was powered off, although all USB devices were still powered up. Powered if off via the main PSU switch for a bit and tried to turn it back on, but the PSU just flashes into life for half a second and turns off.

The PSU is an SuperFlower Leadex GOLD 750W, which is fully modular. So far I have unplugged everything except the 24-pin mobo lead, with only this plugged in, it powers on and stays on, but of course nothing happens. If I plug all the SATA/Molex leads back in with hard drives and fans etc connected, it will still power on. If I then connect either the 12v CPU supply, or either of the PCI-E connectors, even one at a time, it powers straight off. I am assuming it's the PSU at fault here, as it seems to just shut off with any kind of load on it.

I can't see it being the motherboard as with just the 24-pin connected it's fine. But anything else I can check?

If it is at fault, I bought the PSU from OcUK in December 2014, do I RMA it with them still? Never had a faulty component before.

Associate
I would contact OCUK first and see what they say. The worst they can say is that you'll have to deal with Superflower directly. They may well tell you that you can RMA it via them to Superflower.

Soldato
If I then connect either the 12v CPU supply, or either of the PCI-E connectors, even one at a time, it powers straight off. I am assuming it's the PSU at fault here, as it seems to just shut off with any kind of load on it.
Very unlikely that both CPU VRM and graphics card would have shorted at same moment so definitely sounds like PSU not tolerating any kind load.
If that CPU overclocking wore down its VRM that would have no way to affect graphics card and vice versa.

If you have any 12V car light bulbs and way to attach them as test load you could try jumpstarting PSU to see it still shut downs instantly.
Though hard to see how CPU getting power could make motherboard suddenly disable PS-ON signal...

I've recently has my PC on for a few days
That would be often short time between shut downs for my PC...
Guess that would be reason to update from 7½ year old 80+ Gold Seasonic X-650 to Titanium PSU.

Soldato
OP
I used to leave my pc on most of the time but especially in summer I only use it 2 or 3 times a week at the most.

I'll dig out an old pc from the loft at some point and see if it can power up that or not. Of not I'll contact OCUK about rma.

Back
Top Bottom