PSU failure?

Associate
Hi,

I have a PC that is restarting itself every so often (few hours) and I am trying to diagnose the problem.

The PC is running as a NAS machine so does not have a graphics card, just HDDs and CPU.

It sits on my desk and I can hear a fan running up and then down every 5 mins or so.

I've ran a memtest86 which passed so ruling out a memory problem for now.

So, does this sound like a PSU problem?

PSU: Corsair A860.

Soldato
It's a decent PSU so shouldn't be but could still be doing so. If I where you I'd pull the PSU from your main desktop in the sig and just try it for a couple of days, if you have no issues you'll know what to replace.

Associate
OP
Yes this did cross my mind, and I have a HTPC and Esxi server, but really don't want to touch them.

I'm actually thinking about buying a new PSU and seeing if it works. Worst case, I'll have an extra PSU that I'll need to store away.

Soldato
Yes this did cross my mind, and I have a HTPC and Esxi server, but really don't want to touch them.

I'm actually thinking about buying a new PSU and seeing if it works. Worst case, I'll have an extra PSU that I'll need to store away.

Yeah I always try and keep a spare PSU for diagnostics now, a decent bronze rated unit can be had for £50.

Soldato
Any recommendations?

Depends on what system you are running it on and how much watts you need and if it is going to be used or kept as spare. The Evga G2' seem to be the best for price and quality, for a 550w you'd be looking at £70, for that you get fully modular and 80+ Gold with a Super Flower OEM.

Back
Top Bottom