PSU for Ryzen 2700x Mini ITX

Associate
Last time I bought a new rig was back in 2012, an i7-3770k/Asus mobo and 8GB Ram which I later upgraded to 16 GB which lasted me up ages until a month or so ago. I thought I would go SLI/Crossfire at some point so I bought a Corsair 850w PSU but in the end I never did, in fact recently I wanted to move to Mini-ITX which I did but the PSU doesn't fit the case as it's slightly over standard size, so it just rests on the top of the case...janky I know.

A few weeks ago I got a Ryzen 2700x rig up and running again in the existing Mini-ITX case and I don't want that 850w PSU balanced on the top of the case anymore so I need a PSU for that system that is standard size but powerful enough to run the CPU and a half decent GFX card (currently an R9 290 but will be upgraded). In HW Monitor I've seen this CPU pull over 60 amps when on full chat which leads me to believe anything under 650w isn't going to be enough.

Anybody got any suggestions, or am I looking at this amps thing all wrong?

Man of Honour
I just re-read your post and I have to say that HW Monitor is massively overreading that power draw. There is no way a 2700x will get anywhere near to drawing 60A. Even overclocked I wouldn't expect a 2700x to pull more than 200-240w. Software is usually rubbish at monitoring voltages so I wouldn't pay any attention to that 60A result.

The psu needs to be on the shorter size. The average PSU is 150mm long with some brands getting longer as the capacity increases and that case requires a psu of 140mm or less. The mains power socket needs to be a particular orientation although not many PSU's have it orientated the way it shouldn't be for your case so it's not that much of a factor. The length restriction does rule out a lot of psu's but there are still some good ones to choose from. With a case that tight on space I would suggest a fully modular psu so you don't have to mess around with finding a place to put unused cables. A 650w PSU should be more than enough for a 2700x and GTX 1080ti even with overclocking although you could go 750w if you wanted some extra headroom. The cost isn't that much more. I would go for either the Seasonic Focus Plus Gold series or Antec High Current Gamer Gold series. Both are essentially the same psu in a different case as Seasonic makes the Antec HCG series and they are based on the Focus Plus Gold. Both series are 140mm long, fully modular, are gold rated for efficiency and have 10 year warranties.

My basket at Overclockers UK:

Back
Top Bottom