PSU Gpu compatibility question - OCZ ZX Series (2011) 850w with Asus GTX 1660 Super Dual EVO?

Associate
Hi, I just have a quick but important question about upgrading my gpu. I have the OCZ ZX Series 850w (bought in 2012) which has 8-pin pci-e connectors, but the cables connect to 6+2 pin connectors at the graphics card end. So can these be used on the 8-pin connectors on newer gpus like the Asus 1660 Super? I thought 850w should be plenty of power but I am a bit confused reading some forums as some people are saying you shouldn't do it due to 12V rail etc. (OCZ has only 1 12v rail) so what does the 1660 Super require? Thanks for any clarification.

I have been using a Radeon 7950 since I got the psu/pc and it's worked fine (with 2 x 6-pin connectors attached from the 8-pin psu sockets). Is there a cable which links 8-pin to 8-pin directly as most seem to be 8-pin to 6+2? Thx

Man of Honour
Yes. Most psu's have 6+2 pin pci-e connectors. They are so that you can use the leads with both 6 pin and 8 pin cards. You do not need a additional cable and just need to fold the spare 2 pins back down and fit it at the same time as the 6 pin. Psu's that have a single 12v rail are not a problem and most of the better psu's actually are single 12v rail so whoever told you not to use it because it only has a single 12v rail is talking out of their backside.

Associate
OP
OK, thanks for the quick reply, I hoped that was the case! I think I got confused reading about the 12v rail business (a thread on Anandtech or somewhere) as they were talking about 6-pin connections, and 6-pin x2 etc. Anyway, I didn't realise the GTX 1660 Super is so power efficient that it draws less power then my 7 year old 7950 lol (even though it's over twice as powerful). I suppose that's due to 12nm vs 28nm, that's progress for you! :)

Back
Top Bottom