PSU Help!

Associate
What does bronze,sliver, gold rated mean?

Its about the rated efficiency of a power supply. The more demanding a system is the more power a power supply converts into DC from AC current from the plug socket.

The accepted idea, being that a Gold rated power supply should be more efficient when used versus a Bronze rating, and therefore a Gold rated supply will regulate power draw more effectively at a certain level.

A quote " 80 Plus is a certification program made to promote efficient energy use, certifying PSUs that have an efficiency of 80% and above, at 20%, 50%, and 100% loads."

An RTX 3080 will make demands on a power supply.

Associate
OP
Thanks again for getting back to me final question would it be worth getting 850w PSU if the 3080 is power hungry? or would the one you linked do just fine? sorry to hassle you with all the questions

Associate
The longer you run a power supply, the less efficient they become. So the "theory" is that a higher wattage PSU should last.

If you get an 850 wattage PSU, with a recommended Gold rating at 80 plus, then you won't be running it at say 80 percent, you will instead be running it at closer to an optimal 50% load.

If the load is less, then PSU will run cooler, will be quieter, supposedly last longer.

However, other forum members will disagree and say they run it with a 650 wattage PSU...and system load will not be that high.

The important point to conclude with this post is, what is the rest of your system? Do you run a 5950 X, overclocked, 10 hard drives, 6 DVD drives, and 10 fans, you have to take into account what the overall demand will be. If you run a 10700K, Coffee lake at stock, or an older CPU. and have a low power demand then, maybe 750 watts (Gold rating PSU) would suffice.

Perhaps you should post the rest of your specification?

Soldato
Agree with the 750W Gold ... example of 'cheapo' 850W psu below that catches some people out - 46A x 12v = 552W ... not from OCUK I will add.
ZpdD7RI.jpg

Underboss
Associate
OP
Apart from the PSU, do you own those parts already ? As the cooler is massive overkill, and you can get a 32GB kit of non RGB Ram (Patriot Viper) for less than that 16GB Corsair kit.

ordering bit by bit i did get told to go for the cooler master 212 but when i looked at it i didnt really like the look of it and i did want the rgb and as its my 1st pc i wanted to go for what i liked even if it was a bit pricy same with the ram but i am trying to get them all in sales just got the cpu cooler today aswell but trying to get the ram for £90-100 only got to get ram,cpu and storage now thanks for your comment tho

Top Bottom