1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PSU pop

Discussion in 'Power Supplies' started by jimmyjimmyo, 14 Nov 2015.

1. jimmyjimmyo

Gangster

Hi guys

My dark power 900w just went pop after nearly 2 years, got it from the MM and it has served me well,

Had a quick sniff test and the PSU smells of sulphur so its blown, do you think the other components will be fine?

Nothing smells or appears damaged elsewhere

Anyway are there any recommendations for a replacement?

I was looking at
    https://www.overclockers.co.uk/cors...lar-power-supply-cp-9020094-uk-ca-211-cs.html

Unless someone can give me a few pointers towards something else

Running

A pair of 970's and a 3770 with a load of HDDs

Thanks in advance guys, fallout 4 was just getting good lol

2. acake

Gangster

i no not a lot a bout power supplys but one thing i do no about them is Corsair are really bad in my opinion. had a few not work out the box and never went back to them.

3. RJC

Don

4. jimmyjimmyo

Gangster

Thanks guys would I be better going for the 1000w evga if they do one, as I think the dark power was 900w so not sure if the extra power would be needed but it couldn't hurt right?

5. Blackjack Davy

Soldato

Only way to tell is try it with a new PSU... don't switch the old one on again.

I had one blow once that definitely damaged the motherboard (wasn't dead, but wasn't right either) but that was a no name cheapie that probably didn't have overvoltage protection, etc.

The current one I have shut down instantly on detecting a wiring fault on an LED strip, the other one would probably have gone bang...

6. jimmyjimmyo

Gangster

Going to order the 1000w superflower unit, seems to get amazing reviews and hope the rest of the system is fine

7. thebennyboy

Mobster

Isn't that likely to be blown cap?

8. jimmyjimmyo

Gangster

Is that bad for my other components?

I have junked the old supply and I am just waiting till OCUK deliver the new one on Tuesday to see what the damage will be.

Never had a PSU blow so really worried about everything else but the PSU I had was a high quality one so hopefully it sacrificed itself to keep the other bits safe