PSU problems after RAM update

Associate
Hi guys.

On changing from 8gb to 16 GB ram today, I decided to power on and was hit with a strong burning smell as well as flashing to the insude of the PSU. Luckily I only attempted to power up twice and switched it off quickly on both occasions, although the fan still works. I double-checked the ram slots and have not seen any damage to the mobo or the gpu. What's got me is that as its only six months old, is this coincidence and not necessarily related to the ram change? Or has the extra power highlighted a problem with the psu? I've double checked the spec and I can't see any problem. Any ideas? Spec as follows: Asrock 450 gaming itk 2600x Rx 580 2 x 8gb 300mhz corsair Vengeance EVGA BR 600

Thanks

Soldato
Memory pulls very little power. Adding more would never push a power supply over the edge.

It's either a coincidence or you shorted something out while you were messing with the memory.

You've now go the fun job of working out what's dead and what isn't. If you're lucky it'll just be the PSU.

Whatever you do don't try powering it up for a third time as it is now.

Associate
OP
Memory pulls very little power. Adding more would never push a power supply over the edge.

It's either a coincidence or you shorted something out while you were messing with the memory.

You've now go the fun job of working out what's dead and what isn't. If you're lucky it'll just be the PSU.

Whatever you do don't try powering it up for a third time as it is now.

Thanks. Appreciate it.

Back
Top Bottom