PSU recommendation

Permabanned
Hi all!
I need a new PSU!
This is for a media PC so the important issue here is noise. It doesn't have to be silent but semi-passive is a great idea. The PC is low power consumption, but I suppose I should get ~ 500W PSU just in case I put a more powerful graphics card in there in future. Modular or semi-modular is essential. Normally I get Corsair, not so much becuase they are great, rather I have loads of spare cables for them! Spend here is about £70. give or take £20 say. Gold PSU would be nice. Any suggestions?

Soldato
Man of Honour
Just keep in mind that the Bitfenix Whisper psu's have a large shroud on the 24 pin cable making it stick up much higher than it normally would. This could be a issue if you are using a small case where space is at a premium. Can you tell us which cpu and gpu you will be using and what case it's all going in just to check that there are no psu size restrictions?

Permabanned
OP
Ooh thanks
I've forgotten the make of the case but it's actually a few cm wider than your average PC case and it's pretty empty too, so there is absolutely no problem.

Soldato
Normally I get Corsair, not so much becuase they are great, rather I have loads of spare cables for them!
It's very bad idea to think about using other PSU model's cables.
There's no guarantee of same wiring even inside same brand/maker PSUs.
And Corsair particularly has PSUs made by different makers sold under same line name.

So unless model number is precisely same, there's risk of different wiring.
Which has notable risk for something getting burned from getting wrong voltage/polarity.

450W is plenty for media PC playing music and videos.
It would be easily enough for multiple such PCs.
(unless you use some extremely heavy video filters)

Back
Top Bottom