psu

Soldato
Associate
RM750x is better than the RM750, better caps better fan.
Bitfenix Whisper M is also well regarded but only 7 years warranty, Seasonic Focus Gold had some issues but I think these have been fixed in the GX series which has 10 years too.

Soldato
650W is plenty for that PC of your signature and actually would run two such PCs.

Evga. 10 years warranty.
Actually half of their lineup has 5 year warranty.
And for honoring their advertised warranties they demand registering product in certain period after buying it.
Not exactly the most honest business model...

Associate
RM750x is better than the RM750, better caps better fan.

Just note that the RM750x has capacitors on each of the cables so slightly chunkier and less flexible, which might be an issue in a tight case. However, that's getting into the weeds of it.

Also, I haven't figured out to what extent it might ever matter but I notice that the Superflower units only give 100w (20A) over the 3.3v and 5v rails whereas the Corsair units give 150w (30A).

Associate
Also worth noting that it is recommended Corsair units should be mounted "fan-up" as the fan is load controlled rather than temperature, so unless you can keep it loaded up they can build up a lot of heat which precludes their use with solid PSU shrouds.

Associate
Also worth noting that it is recommended Corsair units should be mounted "fan-up" as the fan is load controlled rather than temperature, so unless you can keep it loaded up they can build up a lot of heat which precludes their use with solid PSU shrouds.

Oh, that is important given I was planning on using one with a PSU shroud! Another rethink needed...

Associate
Where you getting that info from ?

I've seen it brought up a few times on several forums, but the most authoritative thing I can dig up is from jonnyguru:

Jon Gerow said:
I personally would run the PSU fan up. I've just found that fan down the PSU that heat rises into the PCB. If it's mounted fan up, you still don't have to worry so much about the hot air in the case because the fan shouldn't spin to suck that air into the PSU very often and the PSU's PCB is actually farther from that heat source.

and I guess he would know if anybody does. I think it applies to any semi-passive/0 rpm unit.

RMX/HX are supposed to get *quite* warm (rated to operate @ 50 degrees C iirc) with an aggressive 0 rpm bias, but perhaps somebody with one can confirm if this is just FUD.

Associate
Where you getting that info from ?

I too found some reference: https://www.techpowerup.com/review/super-flower-leadex-iii-850-w/7.html

In essence, the toughest competitor of the Leadex III 850 W is the RM850x; however, it has notable drawbacks that can render it incompatible with several chassis. Its semi-passive operation cannot be deactivated, for instance, so you will highly stress it if you install it with the fan facing downward. This is a problem the Leadex unit doesn't have since it has a selectable semi-passive operation. Hopefully, Corsair will hear me, and we will see the new RMx units with an option to deactivate the semi-passive operation.

Back
Top Bottom